Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Tv and movies are being given as a reason for this, it's possible. But it's also a fact that people feel more open in talking about their experiences now, because the paranormal isn't regarded so much as a taboo subject.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

^^found that quote interesting though, nothing has changed with that since medieval times and what gets reported across the board is just as interesting as frequency.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#17    Child of the light

Child of the light

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

This might just be my own opinion but am I the only one thinking that taking stuff from the dead is a bad idea? Sure that little amulet could be a hoax or it could really be from a spiritual entity but as far as I know ghosts aren't ghosts at all really but demons, manifesting them selfs into a familiar form usually in the form of dead loved ones. What I am trying to say is that you should think twice before taking something you have little knowledge about it could cause something that isn't gonna be very good I asume. As for the "vibe" you felt it could be few things one of those that you maybe felt the presence of the demon or entity, either that or it was all in your head but considering you saw a "shadow" figure in the tree I doubt it could have been in your head.

#18    Bhoydonegood

Bhoydonegood

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostSupeRgirl, on 27 April 2010 - 11:11 AM, said:

[color="#000080"]Tv and movies are being given as a reason for this, it's possible. But it's also a fact that people feel more open in talking about their experiences now, because the paranormal isn't regarded so much as a taboo subject.

I wouldnt really say the paranormal was ever really taboo. Id imagine you would more often than not get the same reaction to reporting a ghost today as you would have say 10 or 20 years ago, mild disbelief.

I think the main difference is if you were interested in the subject before you had to go and actively seek out your information via books, research or a library. Now with the internet at your beck and call the same information is at your fingertips. Not to mention the myriad shows like Ghost hunters, Ghost Adventures, Most Haunted etc have sensationalised ghosts to such an extent that they are seeming to come across paranormal activity in every episode and broadcasting it weekly to a huge audience. Id wager personally that leads the more impressionable viewers of those shows to be more likely to report a ghost than ever before.

Ever read the texts people send in when Most Haunted does a live special for example? Its verging on the ridiculous, the internet cameras seem to be packed with shadow people, full body apparitions and demons yet whenever they put them on screen its just empty corridors and rooms.

#19    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

View Postherenow, on 26 April 2010 - 10:29 PM, said:

Do you consider this real evidence?
There's a spot in the woods which I've hiked for almost 20 years and have consistently felt a strong vibe.
It is on a random section of trail amidst 5 miles of trails in a 200+ acre forest.
One day I examined a particular tree in this section of woods and found someone had placed a small clay amulet on the back of the tree.

Now isn't this odd - a random tree in the middle of the woods and 2 people being pulled to it?

I once saw what seems to be a shadow person at this tree.  I had never heard of a shadow person, but after finding the amulet I started doing a lot of research and this thing - which was there for about 15 seconds - was very real.
It's still anecdotal and as evidence, doesn't mean a thing. This is not a court of law, eyewitness testimony is not evidence.

However, like I said before, eyewitness reports do give a starting point for investigation. In fact, eyewitness reports are probably the most important tool in determining where likely places may be to start gathering actual evidence.

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#20    herenow

herenow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 230 posts

• I think I'm figuring it out

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

View PostRhomphaia, on 27 April 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's still anecdotal and as evidence, doesn't mean a thing. This is not a court of law, eyewitness testimony is not evidence.

However, like I said before, eyewitness reports do give a starting point for investigation. In fact, eyewitness reports are probably the most important tool in determining where likely places may be to start gathering actual evidence.

I've been researching this area at the local historical society, the Registry of Deeds and elsewhere trying to find the history of this section of woods.  I guess you could say I am investigating, but I am very new to this paranormal gig.  I had real no interest in it until I found the amulet which confirmed the odd things I saw and felt at this tree.

I left a note with a pencil and paper hidden with the amulet and for a couple months there was no reply.  But a couple weeks ago the person who left the amulet opened the baggie with my note, did NOT reply in writing to the note, but they left another amulet.

If I could get this person to contact me I'd ask them why they were drawn to this tree as I have been.

#21    PsiPup

PsiPup

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• You believe yours, I'll believe mine. We'll leave it at that.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Probably because it's a place that they like to hide? Maybe they make these amulet things or it could also be that it's just a piece of clay they molded and then you turn around and now it's a bait and laugh kind of instance. The strong 'vibe' feeling that your getting is probably anticipation from what I've read.

#22    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,842 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostSupeRgirl, on 27 April 2010 - 11:11 AM, said:

Tv and movies are being given as a reason for this, it's possible. But it's also a fact that people feel more open in talking about their experiences now, because the paranormal isn't regarded so much as a taboo subject.

^^found that quote interesting though, nothing has changed with that since medieval times and what gets reported across the board is just as interesting as frequency.

I agree SupeRgirl. People have been having experiences with the paranormal for hundreds of years and none have been able to offer proof. I personally don't think everyone of them had some kind of brain dysfunction. People are just finding it easier now to say, wow, something unusual just happened to me without being ridiculed. It's possible there has been an increase in activity, only because people are more open to sharing their experience and more people are listening without assuming they're nuts.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#23    herenow

herenow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 230 posts

• I think I'm figuring it out

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

View PostPsiPup, on 27 April 2010 - 02:27 PM, said:

Probably because it's a place that they like to hide? Maybe they make these amulet things or it could also be that it's just a piece of clay they molded and then you turn around and now it's a bait and laugh kind of instance. The strong 'vibe' feeling that your getting is probably anticipation from what I've read.

I've felt vibes from this section of woods for well over a decade.
It was only this past December that I stopped and examined this tree and found the amulet.

#24    Papa Whiskey

Papa Whiskey

HooDoo Man

• 3,286 posts

• Man is the unnatural animal, the rebel child of nature. - H.G. Wells

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

"Mental illness is common worldwide. In the United States, about one in four adults has a mental illness in any given year. And nearly half of them have more than one mental illness at the same time. Mental illness can begin at almost any age, from childhood through later adult years."

There are > 230M Americans. 57M of them suffer from some form of mental illness. I find it far more likely that someone saw something that wasn't there than they saw something that is the non-corporeal thoughtform of a once living person. Or a melevolent being that comes from some mystical realm of pain and torment to cause more pain and torment to humans. Just my opinion of course.

And finally, anyone who uses the terms "irregardless", " a whole 'nother" or "all of the sudden", shall be sent to a work camp!

#25    Shadow_of_Man

Shadow_of_Man

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

• "The blind man is one who refuses to see what is truly there."

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

It is really hard to determine whether sightings are up or not because the main fact here is being ignored. The amount being witnessed and the amount being reported. Today there is less embarrassment and ridicule for reporting such sightings and people are finding comfort with the large amount of interest in the subject today to report there experiences. It is difficult to make such a determination anyway, for people in the past didn't know where to report such incidents if they were brave enough to do so.

I for one believe that sightings will increase, as well as hostile encounters as we go through this period of time called "The Cleansing" by many Native American tribes before the coming of the "New Age" (don't confuse that with the metaphysical New Agers) as prophesized by many. These "Cleansing" cycles are periods of rebalancing for the Earth where we will experience earth changes both physical and spiritual.

Posted Image

"Don't go into the light - it's a trap!"

#26    Shadow_of_Man

Shadow_of_Man

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

• "The blind man is one who refuses to see what is truly there."

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

View PostPaul Noise, on 27 April 2010 - 03:17 PM, said:

"Mental illness is common worldwide. In the United States, about one in four adults has a mental illness in any given year. And nearly half of them have more than one mental illness at the same time. Mental illness can begin at almost any age, from childhood through later adult years."

There are > 230M Americans. 57M of them suffer from some form of mental illness. I find it far more likely that someone saw something that wasn't there than they saw something that is the non-corporeal thoughtform of a once living person. Or a melevolent being that comes from some mystical realm of pain and torment to cause more pain and torment to humans. Just my opinion of course.

That is if you can trust those making the determination of mental illness. Perhaps we have such a high rate of diagnoses because the pharmaceutical industry makes so much damn money when more and more people are prescribed the crap by incompetent repeater doctors. It may just be that the majority of those people are experiencing something supernatural, whether it be spirits or our mostly unknown human brain and it's even more unknown capabilities.

Posted Image

"Don't go into the light - it's a trap!"

#27    Roses Lament

Roses Lament

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

• "You can't have a rainbow without the rain." -Coach Puckett (10th Grade Biology)

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

To throw my opinion out there - I may stop looking towards everything as being a mental illness. Don't they consider being angry almost always a mental illness? Maybe the person has a short fuse and one (or two+) particular person may be causing the person to throw such tantrums?

This points to something already stated - There aren't so many skeptics in the world as there use to be since people seem to be grasping the concept of ghosts and such. And because of this they are finally reporting their experiences. I know when I was younger and I had my own haunting, I only told my sister and a close friend. I didn't want to be ridicueled. (excuse me if there are any grammar & spelling errors). If I might have mentioned it when I was young I would have more than likely been told I have a mental illness. =/ Or just simply made fun of for being "strange" by classmates etc

Edited by Roses Lament, 27 April 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#28    Papa Whiskey

Papa Whiskey

HooDoo Man

• 3,286 posts

• Man is the unnatural animal, the rebel child of nature. - H.G. Wells

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

@Shadow of Man

Attacking the credulity of the source using personal bias is not a good argument. There is nothing to suggest mental illness is a form of ESP, but there have been plenty studies an trials and clinical evaluations as well as millions of people who have gone from trying to kill themselves to leading happy lives by using the "crap" as you call it, that medical professionals have spent years and billions of dollars reasearching so that people can live happy and healthy lives. Why begrudge them wanting to make a little of that money back?

Edited by Paul Noise, 27 April 2010 - 04:10 PM.

And finally, anyone who uses the terms "irregardless", " a whole 'nother" or "all of the sudden", shall be sent to a work camp!

#29    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

It's sort of like Bigfoot, no one believes until they see one.

As for the mental illness thing, well, I think people are just different and unless they are hurting themselves or others don't medicate. If your frustrated out of your mind, go build something or go for a jog, heck, dig a hole then take a nap, it's usually better when you wake up. People seem to forget that we are very physical beings and we need physical activity. Push away from the computer and get active, you'll feel better.

#30    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

The amount being witnessed and the amount being reported. Today there is less embarrassment and ridicule for reporting such sightings and people are finding comfort with the large amount of interest in the subject today to report there experiences.

Exactly. I would say the bulk of the increase is because there are now tons of websites dedicated to this stuff. There is more open data about people reporting sightings. How many Unexplained Mysteries forums were there 25 years ago?

Embrace the impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users