Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

lost thunderbird pic

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,052 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

View PostCryptid_Control, on 28 April 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

That looks like what I saw, but not sketched.

Right.  I don't remember it being sketched either.  It's just a good guide as to what we are all searching for.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#32    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

Just something that should be said the "civil war" photos are fake. the original one (top one in the photo in post 14) was originally made for the TV show freaky links (made by the same production company that brought us the blair witch)which sprung a couple of copy cat photos.

as for the "missing thunderbird photo" I've always just considered it a confabulation (there's a word I don't get to use nearly enough)ask people where they saw it and alot of younger people will say the internet within the last 15 years older people tend to say books memories always vague and no1 can remember where they saw it and all copies have magically disappeared. To me a false memory is the most likely explanation.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#33    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

View PostCynical Sounds, on 29 April 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

Just something that should be said the "civil war" photos are fake. the original one (top one in the photo in post 14) was originally made for the TV show freaky links (made by the same production company that brought us the blair witch)which sprung a couple of copy cat photos.

as for the "missing thunderbird photo" I've always just considered it a confabulation (there's a word I don't get to use nearly enough)ask people where they saw it and alot of younger people will say the internet within the last 15 years older people tend to say books memories always vague and no1 can remember where they saw it and all copies have magically disappeared. To me a false memory is the most likely explanation.

I agree. Like Nibs, I could swear I've seen a picture in an old book sometime when I was a kid. What I really believe is that I've seen the sketch a few hundred times (between print and online) and that power of suggestion has convinced my memory that it has seen an actual photo because I couldn't tell you when or where I saw it.

I think it's kind of like people saying, "You know how you can feel it when someone's looking at you?", and everyone just says, "Sure". I've tested this with many people being both looker and lookie but nobody seems to have this super power but it's just taken for granted that we all do...

#34    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Dara O'Brien

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

Also I forgot to add  people often say it looks like the picture in nibs post (post 3) but alot of the stories behind the photo say it had no feathers and a alligators head where the sketch clearly shows neither

#35    Kar-zid

Kar-zid

Ultra Director

• 1,471 posts

• Winner of the "Ghost Picture Competition": SomeOldLady

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

I remember seeing it both on the internet AND in a book. I'm about 15 and a half, so it wasn't that long ago, maybe 4 or 5 years TOPS. I remember specifically a giant bird, nailed to a wall of a barn, and a few men down the bottom holding hands. The sketch is not what I saw, I saw the photo, I'm sure of that much. But the sketch DOES look an awful lot like the photo. If anyone's game, we can start an internet wide search. With google, forum sites and even the searching of actual books, someone might find this thing.

To detail it a bit more, the men down the bottom were using their combined arm widths to show the sheer size of this amazing bird.

Edited by Kar-zid, 29 April 2010 - 12:08 PM.

Winners of the Fakest Pic On The Net Comp": Mister E. (now Samael) & n_a_t_a_l_i_e (now NatalieK)

Winner of the "Best Ghost Photo Competition": Some Old Lady

#36    louisvilleseeker

louisvilleseeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

everyone who says they saw a photo - and there are a great deal of them, couldnt all be imagining things, could they? and another thing, they all aggree, this picture dissappeared sometime recently, and very suddenly.

#37    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,332 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 28 April 2010 - 08:40 PM, said:

This is the picture I remember seeing in a book - post #3.

Nibs

Having been interested in cryptozoology for the best part of 35 years ....... I can honestly state that whilst I have seen the sketch a number of time, I have never seen the original photo, if it ever existed.

However, I'm sure I have seen another picture that hasn't featured in this thread yet  :unsure2:

But it's not this one either:

Posted Image

http://forgetomori.c...rtean-memories/

Maybe I just think I remember ......

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#38    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Dara O'Brien

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

View Postlouisvilleseeker, on 29 April 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

everyone who says they saw a photo - and there are a great deal of them, couldnt all be imagining things, could they? and another thing, they all aggree, this picture dissappeared sometime recently, and very suddenly.

honestly I can't see how it could be recently, 30-40 years ago the missing thunderbird photo was already considered missing but as you can see from this thread there are tho who claim to have seen it within the last 5 years. how is this possible something cannot be missing yet cropping up every now and again just to vanish back into the ether. I mean Ivan Sanderson died in what 73 and he claimed to have owned a copy of the thunderbird photo (loosing it in the early 60's)

seriously the only answer that makes sense is a mass confabulation

#39    Mikezilla

Mikezilla

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:57 AM

Hi, just joined the forums. I could swear I've seen that picture too, maybe in a book I got out of the library years ago. Looked and looked, can't find it either on the net. Was supposedly published in the Tombstone Epitaph on April 26th, 1890. Now it's gonna drive me nuts....not that I had that far to go,lol.

#40    Dimly

Dimly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

There's no such thing as a thunderbird or 'the thunderbird pic' but the fact that EVERYBODY can allegedly remember seeing the pic somewhere is an extremely interesting phenomenon.  I've never seen anything like it before.

Hell, I actually feel like there was a picture like that in a book I had as a kid... except I know there's no way that's possible.  Or even if there was 'a' pic in some book I had, there's no way it was 'the' pic because every damn copy of it could not have disappeared off the face of the planet, especially with everyone looking for it.

#41    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:25 AM

You had me until i seen it was on YouTube.... :(

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#42    Kar-zid

Kar-zid

Ultra Director

• 1,471 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Okay, so I bought the book Mysteries of the Unexplained off eBay (came with another nice little book, Great Hauntings, only $11 Australian, pretty good. Also this is the 1982 Reader's Digest version, which if I remember correctly is the reissue without the photo). I looked across the whole 'Monsters and More' category, no Thunderbird photo. Even looked through 'The Unquiet Sky' and nothing. To be fair, it IS the 1982 version, and not the 1960 (I'm pretty sure that was the year...) version which I could not find. It's still extremely interesting for anyone interested, so many things I hadn't heard of or known in both books.

Also, just had a quick look in the Index pages, and Thunderbird isn't even in the book. If this IS the reissued version, then they took it out completely.

Winners of the Fakest Pic On The Net Comp": Mister E. (now Samael) & n_a_t_a_l_i_e (now NatalieK)

#43    Everybody's Fool

Everybody's Fool

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

i know for a fact i seen tha photo. i can even remember what school i was at when i seen tha pic in a book at tha school's library. i know this isn't a "phenomenon" of me having a false memory because i remembered wondering about tha pic before i even came to UM. then this weird 'missing photo' thing happened, it's just weird.

#44    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Dara O'Brien

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

View PostEverybody, on 05 May 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

i know for a fact i seen tha photo. i can even remember what school i was at when i seen tha pic in a book at tha school's library. i know this isn't a "phenomenon" of me having a false memory because i remembered wondering about tha pic before i even came to UM. then this weird 'missing photo' thing happened, it's just weird.

contact the school ask for the book/to photocopy the book.

anyway its not like they will have it (it would have magically disappeared). Anyway false memories can be very detailed, and a false memory can be created at anytime (so you could have "remembered" this when you later came across the story)thats kinda the whole thing of false memories you dont know they are fake.  

as I have pointed out the photograph HAS BEEN CONSIDERED MISSING SINCE THE 70'S maybe even earlier. there is no way this image could exist and still be cropping up without some1 coming up with it by now

View PostKar-zid, on 05 May 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

Okay, so I bought the book Mysteries of the Unexplained off eBay (came with another nice little book, Great Hauntings, only $11 Australian, pretty good. Also this is the 1982 Reader's Digest version, which if I remember correctly is the reissue without the photo). I looked across the whole 'Monsters and More' category, no Thunderbird photo. Even looked through 'The Unquiet Sky' and nothing. To be fair, it IS the 1982 version, and not the 1960 (I'm pretty sure that was the year...) version which I could not find. It's still extremely interesting for anyone interested, so many things I hadn't heard of or known in both books.

Also, just had a quick look in the Index pages, and Thunderbird isn't even in the book. If this IS the reissued version, then they took it out completely.

why you after these books? where did you hear these had the photo in?

you got authors for these book I've know a couple of people who might be able to track down copies

Edited by Cynical Sounds, 05 May 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#45    Kar-zid

Kar-zid

Ultra Director

• 1,471 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I had read in a few other topics discussing the same photo that the book, namely Mysteries of the Unexplained, was where the lost Thunderbird photo was originally published.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0809234971 I don't quite remember who the author was supposed to be, but there's a different version, not sure when it was made.

Just found another site that mentions yet ANOTHER book it was supposedly in On the Old West Coast by Major Horace Bell. And yet another claimed it was in one magazine about the Old West, but the issue of that magazine was unknown at the time. To be fair I hadn't had much hope in finding the photo in the Mysteries of the Unexplained book, but it is a great book nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users