Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Former Area 51 staff members speak out

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,624 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

www.latimes.com said:

After decades of denying the facility's existence, five former insiders speak out.

Area 51. It's the most famous military institution in the world that doesn't officially exist. If it did, it would be found about 100 miles outside Las Vegas in Nevada's high desert, tucked between an Air Force base and an abandoned nuclear testing ground.

Then again, maybe not-- the U.S. government refuses to say. You can't drive anywhere close to it, and until recently, the airspace overhead was restricted--all the way to outer space. Any mention of Area 51 gets redacted from official documents, even those that have been declassified for decades.

It has become the holy grail for conspiracy theorists, with UFOlogists positing that the Pentagon reverse engineers flying saucers and keeps extraterrestrial beings stored in freezers. Urban legend has it that Area 51 is connected by underground tunnels and trains to other secret facilities around the country. In 2001, Katie Couric told Today Show  audiences that 7 percent of Americans doubt the moon landing happened--that it was staged in the Nevada desert. Millions of X-Files  fans believe the truth may be "out there," but more likely it's concealed inside Area 51's Strangelove-esque hangars--buildings that, though confirmed by Google Earth, the government refuses to acknowledge.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,265 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Actualy the American Government confirmed it does exist but only for an airbase. And this is old news, i heard this story about 2 months ago.

#3    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostTopCatEric, on 07 May 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

Actualy the American Government confirmed it does exist but only for an airbase. And this is old news, i heard this story about 2 months ago.

Chill out dude.
The posted link as todays date for GODSAKE  ;)

Friday, May 7, 2010
1:22 p.m. PDT
:tu:

only for an airbase but they would say that wouldn't they, oh tand then they buy up another thirty thousand acres of land around the base?

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#4    Torgo

Torgo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

• I aM tOrGo... I tAkE cArE oF tHe PlAcE wHiLe ThE mAsTeR iS aWaY...

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

View PostBelial, on 07 May 2010 - 08:28 PM, said:

Chill out dude.
The posted link as todays date for GODSAKE  ;)

:tu:

only for an airbase but they would say that wouldn't they, oh tand then they buy up another thirty thousand acres of land around the base?

Yeah, to keep the population out.  They did all kinds of secret and highly sensitive (but entirely terrestrial) things there.

#5    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Agree Torgo (totally) ;)

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

#6    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Still, they never explained the federal government policy on why an US citizen (civilian, not spy or soldier) can't see or discuss of, film or audio record, and hikers can't be near the perimeter beyond the red warning sign (someone taken a picture of the sign and the base over Groom Lake many times) about this is part of the Nellis Air Force Range, not a non-existent base in the Nevada desert.

Meanwhile, the Soviet spy satellites about 1,000 kms above Area 51 taken several aerial photos in the late 1980's to display the top secret air base did exist and the Reagan administration about ready to have a nuclear war with the USSR didn't friggin' care. Does it make you wonder what the feds' priorities are...to keep us quiet about "alien"  sensitive information about aircraft technology. :mellow:

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#7    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

View PostArchangel Michael, on 07 May 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

Still, they never explained the federal government policy on why an US citizen (civilian, not spy or soldier) can't see or discuss of, film or audio record, and hikers can't be near the perimeter beyond the red warning sign (someone taken a picture of the sign and the base over Groom Lake many times) about this is part of the Nellis Air Force Range, not a non-existent base in the Nevada desert.

They didn't explain it because pretty much everyone understand the purpose (if not the meaning) of Top Secret.

#8    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,397 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

First they denied it. Then confirmed it. Once again denied it. Make up your mind.

I'll finish reading the article after dinner.

#9    Agent Darkbootie

Agent Darkbootie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

That...actually made sense.

#10    Larving

Larving

Remote Viewer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

View PostMele Kalikimaka, on 08 May 2010 - 01:24 PM, said:

That...actually made sense.
I'm as stunned as you are.  :blink:

#11    flyingswan

flyingswan

Government Agent

• 3,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Er, where's the conspiracy?  The article debunks the conspiracies and leaves us with what was obvious all along: the place was secret because they were testing secret aircraft there.

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true" - Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
In which case it is fortunate that:
"Science is the best defense against believing what we want to" - Ian Stewart (1945- )

#12    ilovejules25

ilovejules25

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

I agree with most of the other posts here... this is nothing close to new information.  The writer of this LA Times articles speaks as if she just now has confirmation of the existence of this base.  We've all known this for some time.  Test flights here during the Cold War, and especially the U-2 flights, are common knowledge.  I'm sure there are interesting stories out there from men like these about test flights and secrecy in the 60's... but I'm more interested in what's been happening lately (and I use that word loosely, by "lately" I'll say the last 20 years).  The base continues to expand, as that's evident in satellite pictures.  Lights over the base defy physics, making impossible stops and turns in the sky.  And a runway that's 12 miles long?  This is what the conspiracies are about.  Not a bunch of retired old men talking about flying Lockheed Martin aircraft back in the day.  It was still an interesting read, but we're definitely not debunking anything here.  As she writes in the article, it will probably be another 40 years before we find out what kind of technology is being tested today.

#13    Cristina1

Cristina1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

View Postilovejules25, on 08 May 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

I agree with most of the other posts here... this is nothing close to new information.  The writer of this LA Times articles speaks as if she just now has confirmation of the existence of this base.  We've all known this for some time.  Test flights here during the Cold War, and especially the U-2 flights, are common knowledge.  I'm sure there are interesting stories out there from men like these about test flights and secrecy in the 60's... but I'm more interested in what's been happening lately (and I use that word loosely, by "lately" I'll say the last 20 years).  The base continues to expand, as that's evident in satellite pictures.  Lights over the base defy physics, making impossible stops and turns in the sky.  And a runway that's 12 miles long?  This is what the conspiracies are about.  Not a bunch of retired old men talking about flying Lockheed Martin aircraft back in the day.  It was still an interesting read, but we're definitely not debunking anything here.  As she writes in the article, it will probably be another 40 years before we find out what kind of technology is being tested today.

good point.

#14    Brakzar Break

Brakzar Break

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• Fear we shall, the coming forth nuclear winter.

Open fire!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Well it is TOP SECRET, that's why they don't want people peeping into their information. However, I don't know why they would if they plan to declassify it later on.

Posted Image
Banner credits to Kesoglu, Sketchboook, Hitokiri-Hime, and Ulundo.

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

#15    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Just more dissinformation...maybe ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users