Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jersey Devil: Horrific fantasy or genetic

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

www.aolnews.com said:

It prowls desolate, forested parts of southern New Jersey, killing livestock, leaving behind odd footprints and filling the night air with chilling sounds.

At least that's how legend and folklore describe the creature known as the Jersey Devil. (Not to be confused, by the way, with the New Jersey Devils, the professional hockey franchise named after the legendary creature.)

At the Paranormal Museum in Asbury Park, N.J., a recently opened exhibit features a variety of artifacts, including reproductions of a Jersey Devil skull, drawings and relics.

Museum owner Kathy Kelly says the story most associated with the Jersey Devil involved a woman who, in the 1700s, prayed for her 13th child to be born a devil. "Shortly after the child was born," says Kelly, "he transformed into a creature that was twice the size of a full-grown man, with cloven feet, wings and talons for hands, and he killed the midwife and then flew off into the Pinelands, where he has terrorized people ever since," according to the story.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,305 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

i say both

#3    Black Hound

Black Hound

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

Neither.Though I have no idea what it is, I doubt any real creature existing as "urban legends" tend to prove out to be.

#4    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• Banned
  • 4,200 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

Any "repeatable phenomenon" must have a basis in reality no?

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#5    xOhaguro

xOhaguro

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

• "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

I'm not really into the Jersey Devil mystery. I dunno, it just doesn't add up for me. I suppose the same could be said about a lot of other urban legends, but I get the vibe that people would go out and do these things just to keep the myth alive.

Though I visit him
Ceaselessly, in my dreams,
The sum of all those meetings
Is less than a single waking glimpse.
(Ono no Komachi)

#6    Scholastica

Scholastica

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• So I am

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

That would be a pretty hardy family of mutant deer if that theory is to be believed. 300 years of succesful breeding.

Will You lift me high, so I can reach the sky? With a love that never dies? Then this is where I want to be.
And when you lift me up, and then you bring me down. If I know that You're aroud then this is where I want to to be.

#7    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• I've never thought that I'd have more Captain America plashes then my two year old Nephew. :P

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

Interesting idea. Although I hardly doubt that I would go to that museum, a museum about a myth.  :wacko:

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#8    Black Hound

Black Hound

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

When the number of believers in this legend reaches 100,  somebody come and let me know because I want to meet you and hear the arguments for the critter beling alive.

#9    theQ

theQ

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

LOL...humans love to create god's and monsters....whether real or imagined.  You all created another "god" in recent memory...it was the O'bama god wasn't it?

#10    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 09 May 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

Any "repeatable phenomenon" must have a basis in reality no?

no. not when its subjective experiences though.

the truth is out there....

#11    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 16 May 2010 - 05:51 PM, said:

no. not when its subjective experiences though.
Actually, this is wrong. Any repeated phenomenon must have a basis in reality. However, when that phenomenon consists of subjective experiences, it considerably widens the gap between 'phenomenon' and 'reality'. Currently, the reality of the Jersey Devil is so far removed from the phenomenon, that it is actually more likely that everyone who thinks they witness something was just hallucinating.

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#12    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

View PostRhomphaia, on 17 May 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

Actually, this is wrong. Any repeated phenomenon must have a basis in reality. However, when that phenomenon consists of subjective experiences, it considerably widens the gap between 'phenomenon' and 'reality'. Currently, the reality of the Jersey Devil is so far removed from the phenomenon, that it is actually more likely that everyone who thinks they witness something was just hallucinating.

define, basis in reality, then we may find out why we disagree.

#13    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 17 May 2010 - 03:37 AM, said:

define, basis in reality, then we may find out why we disagree.
Well, in short, anything that happens must have a basis in the real world. It's just the way things work.

Let's take the subject of the thread as an example. A phenomenon is occurring. People are reporting seeing something, or hearing something, or whatever. This cannot be disputed. The reports are there. Something (or several different somethings) prompted these people to make their reports. The reports didn't just suddenly appear out of thin air.

The basis of these reports can range from there actually being a Jersey Devil creature (yeah, right) to more mundane explanations such as falsified reports, hallucinations, jittery minds and mistaken identity.

The simple fact that the reports are coming in means something is happening in the Pine Barrens. However, it is still up for debate as to what that something is, though all the evidence points to some rather mundane, boring explanations.

-Brother Grissom.

#14    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostRhomphaia, on 17 May 2010 - 04:32 PM, said:

Well, in short, anything that happens must have a basis in the real world. It's just the way things work.

Let's take the subject of the thread as an example. A phenomenon is occurring. People are reporting seeing something, or hearing something, or whatever. This cannot be disputed. The reports are there. Something (or several different somethings) prompted these people to make their reports. The reports didn't just suddenly appear out of thin air.

The basis of these reports can range from there actually being a Jersey Devil creature (yeah, right) to more mundane explanations such as falsified reports, hallucinations, jittery minds and mistaken identity.

The simple fact that the reports are coming in means something is happening in the Pine Barrens. However, it is still up for debate as to what that something is, though all the evidence points to some rather mundane, boring explanations.

personally, i really disagree.
look at religion, many people claim their god is talking to them, but it has no basis in reality. no evidence of those gods.
so, just because something is "happening", doesnt mean its real.

#15    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 17 May 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

personally, i really disagree.
look at religion, many people claim their god is talking to them, but it has no basis in reality. no evidence of those gods.
so, just because something is "happening", doesnt mean its real.
You are entirely missing what I am saying.

You seem to think I am saying that just because there are reports, that there is a monster out there. That's not it at all. What I am saying is that there are reports and that there is a reason(s) for those reports, which may be far removed from the Jersey Devil, but the reasons for those reports are very real, whatever is behind them.

And again, you are wrong in your example and let me use that to prove my point. People claim that their god talks to them. There is basis for reality in this that are entirely unconnected with divinity. One, the person is lying (probably for financial gain) or two, they are delusional. It is far removed from any actual divine influence, but there is a basis in reality nonetheless. The same is happening in the case of the Jersey Devil. The multitude of reports do show that there is a repeated phenomenon occurring, however, this does not mean that the basis of these reports is an actual monster. Only that people think they are witnessing one, for whatever reason that may be.

-Brother Grissom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users