Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Great Interview with Dr Richard Haines.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

Great interview with Dr Richard Haines from the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP) which does a good job of dispelling many of the misconceptions and stereotypes made about the UFO/UAP subject - Dr Haines goes into quite comprehensive detail about military/civilian pilot sightings, electromagnetic interference effects and the 3400 actual unknown reports collated from aviation professionals so if anyone hasn't heard it, it's well worth a listen (preferably before posting).

The Paracast - Dr. Richard F. Haines.

Posted Image

Dr. Richard F. Haines, Chief Scientist for the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP), speaks at length about airline sightings, airline safety, and his extensive research into these strange aerial mysteries.

Link

Papers:

56 Pilot Sightings Involving Electromagnetic Effects

Aviation Safety in America: A Previously Neglected Factor

Other Technical Reports

#2    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Good review of lecture given by Dr Richard Haines on the subject of pilot UFO reports:

Dr. Richard Haines is a Senior Research Scientist at the NASA-Ames Research Centre. He is best known for his work with pilots and their UFO sightings. Over the last 30 years he has been investigating the subject, he has amassed over 3000 pilot sighting reports..

During his 30 years of investigations Dr. Haines has established a percentage break down of what type of pilot has reported a UFO. From his 3000 odd reports from 1916 (WWI) to October 1996, military pilots have reported 52% of these sightings while commercial pilots represent 40%, private pilots 7% and less than 1% for test pilots. Of these sightings, most are seen in good weather and 30% are during the day while the remaining 70% account for the night. Approximately 3% of the total reports have experienced electromagnetic effects on instruments when a UFO is close to the aircraft; even dimming of the cabin lights has been reported. These effects have lasted for 5 seconds up to a staggering 180 minutes of flight time.

Link

#3    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,850 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 11 May 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

Good review of lecture given by Dr Richard Haines on the subject of pilot UFO reports:

Link
Good stuff karl12 ! We Love to keep it up and positive!
Keep Looking Up ! :rolleyes:

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#4    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Cheers Donteatus -that's one mighty fine looking barbeque you've got there.   :yes:

Did you listen to the interview - it's probably one of the best ones I've heard about the UFO subject.

#5    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Another very interesting technical report from the NARCAP website dealing with 'under reporting bias' within the pilot community  - as Dr Haines mentions in the interview, there are a huge number of military/civilian pilot sightings out there yet many are reticent to report their experiences due to fear of ridicule, damage to reputation, potential unemployment etc..

Aviation Safety in America: Under-Reporting Bias of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena and Recommended Solutions.  Ted Roe

#6    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

More info about Dr Richard Haine's work on Korean War UFO reports as mentioned in the initial interview:

Advanced aerial devices reported during the Korean war / Richard F. Haines - foreword by Jacques Vallee

Posted Image

This is a presentation of data of 42 UFO sightings in or near Korea from 1950 through to 1954. Thirty one are official reports from American pilots taken from military records and ten are ground observations taken from Project Bluebook files. One is an interview, conducted thirty six years later with a GI who fired on a UFO in 1951. The descriptions of the events vary considerably in length and detail. The sighting reports are preceded by a brief description of both sides combat planes and capabilities.

Review (pdf)

Listed Korean UFO sightings (pdf)

#7    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Nice clip from the 1979 UFO documentary "UFOs Are Real" featuring a very young Dr Richard Haines and witness testimony regarding the Coyne incident.

#8    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Statement on the reality of UFOs by Doc Haines.

“Although I do not yet have enough reliable information concerning the relevant characteristics of the UFO phenomenon with which to form a scientific judgment of its “core” identity, I do believe that the phenomenon is objectively real; i.e., I believe that the many thousands of eyewitnesses around the world are experiencing UFO phenomenon in a manner very similar to the way any other human with normal sensory capabilities would perceive it if they happened to be present.”

Dr Richard Haines, NASA scientist, UFO researcher, author of several books on UFOs, expert on pilot UFO sightings

Link

#9    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 29,994 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

View Postkarl 12, on 23 May 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

Statement on the reality of UFOs by Doc Haines.

I commend you for your excellent content. Thanks!! Posted Image

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#10    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

SkyEagle, appreciate the post mate - Dr Richard Haines is a very knowledgeable chap and has amassed quite a number of truly puzzling UFO incidents - here he is discussing the subject in a good documentary about pilot UFO reports:

Cheers.

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,850 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Not only that but the Government has covered up most of the Reports from the late 60s when Skyeagle was in service in Vietnam, HAve a Great Memorial Day Skyeagle an to All our Veterans Here and Abroad.
It always makes me Think of My Dad ! Seezya! :rolleyes:

This is a Work in Progress!

#12    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 27 May 2010 - 03:20 PM, said:

HAve a Great Memorial Day Skyeagle an to All our Veterans Here and Abroad.

I'll second that one. :)

#13    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

Nice chart compiled by NICAP:

What the pilots have seen.

This chart lists over 100 UFO sightings by pilots (AL=Airline pilot; M=Military; P=Private), the majority of whom reported typical geometrical objects such as discs and ellipses. The resulting patterns of the observations, and their strong similarity to reports by other reliable witnesses are readily apparent.

Link

#14    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 19 December 2010 - 12:13 PM, said:

Nice chart compiled by NICAP:
Good morning Karl, and thanks for posting the chart link.  I really enjoyed the Paracast in your OP when I listened to it a month or so ago.  Richard Haines has a really good head on his shoulders and is one of the researchers that I hold in high regard simply because he approaches this subject in an objective manner as far as I can tell.

Regarding the chart though, it looks like it only lists sightings from 1944 through 1963.  I'm pretty sure that NICAP was in operation up until ~1980 or so.  Do you happen to know if they might have collected reports between 1963 and 1980 that didn't get included in this chart?  Perhaps they are sitting around in a box in someone's attic or something?

#15    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 19 December 2010 - 04:35 PM, said:

Good morning Karl, and thanks for posting the chart link.  I really enjoyed the Paracast in your OP when I listened to it a month or so ago.  Richard Haines has a really good head on his shoulders and is one of the researchers that I hold in high regard simply because he approaches this subject in an objective manner as far as I can tell.

Regarding the chart though, it looks like it only lists sightings from 1944 through 1963.  I'm pretty sure that NICAP was in operation up until ~1980 or so.  Do you happen to know if they might have collected reports between 1963 and 1980 that didn't get included in this chart?  Perhaps they are sitting around in a box in someone's attic or something?

Hey Boonyzarc, thanks for the reply and you're certainly right about that Paracast interview - truly interesting stuff.  :yes:
Regarding the NICAP link and pilot incidents from the intervening years, I don't know if you've seen it before but Domonic Weinstein has compiled a good catalog below and it appears there are quite a number of strange reports:

Catalogue of Military,Airliner and Private Pilots Sightings from 1916 -2000
(pdf):

http://www.ufoeviden...ilotCatalog.pdf

There are also these interesting Australian aircraft reports collated by Project1947:

Catalogue of Australian observations of UFOS from Aircraft crew members and passengers:
http://www.project19...t/kbair0505.htm

Aircraft /UFO Encounters prior to 1942:
http://www.project1947.com/jan42.htm

Cheers and a Happy Xmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users