Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Bible Came From Arabia...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    codeman1798

codeman1798

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hi all,

Just wondered what everyones' thoughts were on Salibi Kamal's theory that the Biblical Holy Land was actually in Arabia, rather than in Israel.
My apologies if this has been addressed befoore, I tried searching, but couldn't find a topic on this.

#2    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,332 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

It would appear that his idea is based largely on the similarity of placenames.    It would be like arguing Atlantis was actually in Georgia because that's where Atlanta is.   Or, indeed, that I was actually born in Queenland, Australia because I was born near Ipswich .....  There are other linguistic arguments, and some non sequiturs such as there being no volcanoes in Palastine to have destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah (an illogical argument because there is no reason to suppose they were destroyed by volcanes, or even that the story was anything but a folk tale to explain existing geography).

Some background info:

http://www.tektonics.../qt/salibi.html

http://www.webspawner.com/users/camel/

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#3    Remelic

Remelic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" - Aristotle

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

View Postcodeman1798, on 11 May 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

Hi all,

Just wondered what everyones' thoughts were on Salibi Kamal's theory that the Biblical Holy Land was actually in Arabia, rather than in Israel.
My apologies if this has been addressed befoore, I tried searching, but couldn't find a topic on this.

The bible compiled so many stories from so many worlds that I don't doubt it at all. It even makes sense to me that this could be true.

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,768 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:53 AM

View Postcodeman1798, on 11 May 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

Hi all,

Makes some sense, what with the proximity to Babylon. Biblical Israel could have been anywhere, especially as "40 years in teh wilderness" assuming they were on the move certainly puts them further into the Middle East then on the edge of the Mediterranean.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

I heard that Yahweh was a volcano God which makes some sense when you think about it and there is a volcano that fits the bill in Arabia. Considering Hephaestus and Ptah are the same sort of volcano creator Gods it should not be seen as too unusual. If the Midianites were there it may be true and also Moses or God, killed the Midianites later didn't they, maybe that was volcanic action.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#6    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,733 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

The Old Testament, The Torah are very much same as the quran.
check them for yourselves...
The entire old terstament..right from genesis..adam and eve, cain and abel, noah and the great flood, abraham & issac, jacob, the slavery in egypt, moses, all that is there in the three holy books.
The bible is a compilation of books, which have already assimilated lots of myths, legends, and history of the middle east through it.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#7    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,226 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

the first five books were written in arabia.  so i guess you could say that the bible is from arabia.  but remember the isrealites, which includes the jews, were just moving through the area.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#8    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,226 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

View PostThe Spartan, on 15 May 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

The Old Testament, The Torah are very much same as the quran.
check them for yourselves...
The entire old terstament..right from genesis..adam and eve, cain and abel, noah and the great flood, abraham & issac, jacob, the slavery in egypt, moses, all that is there in the three holy books.
The bible is a compilation of books, which have already assimilated lots of myths, legends, and history of the middle east through it.

of course the first 5 booksof the bible, torah(if it is written in books), and the quran(again depending on how many books it takes in this book to include mosess writtings) are based on the same work.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#9    Salami Swami

Salami Swami

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

It would make sense if the first books of the old testament were written somewere other than israel. Although, much of the bible talks about and doesnt stop talking about the location, geography, etc. Its pretty accurate on were places were. Like sodom & gomorra, wich were by the dead sea, jerusalem, the cities were the temples stood, etc

Posted Image

#10    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,332 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Lord of the Rings was written in England.   It doesn't mean the events portrayed nor the places described in England  ;)

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#11    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,101 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Where is "Arabia?"

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#12    Salami Swami

Salami Swami

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

yeah but, if you were writting a message of God and hope and God to a specific group of people (jewish or hebrews)and about a promised land, etc it would make more sense for it to have been written by themselves other than by another person in another country. I mean, not alot of people from another religion (= location) would write a powerful book like that to another group of people in another place.

I mean, one thing is to writte a story, but the bible means alot more than a fairy tale. It means alot more to the people who wrote it, or to whom they wrote it to

Posted Image

#13    Harte

Harte

• 9,101 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

View PostBliszter, on 17 May 2010 - 07:29 PM, said:

yeah but, if you were writting a message of God and hope and God to a specific group of people (jewish or hebrews)and about a promised land, etc it would make more sense for it to have been written by themselves other than by another person in another country. I mean, not alot of people from another religion (= location) would write a powerful book like that to another group of people in another place.

I mean, one thing is to writte a story, but the bible means alot more than a fairy tale. It means alot more to the people who wrote it, or to whom they wrote it to
Israel didn't exist until after the death of Moses.

Since the storyline is that Moses wrote the first five books, how could they possibly have been written in Israel?

The OP is about the claim that Israel itself has been mislocated.  This is stupidity itself, as Canaan is well-defined in the Bible as well as in ancient writing from other nations in that ers (most notably, various Mesopotamian nations.)

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#14    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Abraham made the covenant with God, he was from Ur. He has two sons, Isaac and Ishmael. Jews descend from Isaac and muslims from Ishmael. Isaac has two sons Esau and Jacob. Esau is described as having a mass of red hair, he is the eldest but Jacob steals his birthright from him. Jacob wrestles an angel (kinky) and falls asleep on a stone and sees the ladder to heaven. It is only after this event that he receives the name Israel. This all happened before Moses, not sure about Joseph though.

What does it mean? The hebrews descending from Isaac have had a rough ride, being slaves, captives, exiles but the OT was not written down until the captivity around 700bce. I don't agree with the OP but it is certainly not as straight forward as it seems imo.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#15    Harte

Harte

• 9,101 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 17 May 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

What does it mean? The hebrews descending from Isaac have had a rough ride, being slaves, captives, exiles but the OT was not written down until the captivity around 700bce. I don't agree with the OP but it is certainly not as straight forward as it seems imo.
Jim,

Again, the thread is concerned with the silly idea that what we today call Israel is not in the right place.  That is, it is not where the Biblical Israel was.

Of course, boundaries likely differ, but there is no doubt (and can be no doubt) that the Biblical Israel was where today's Israel is located.

But concerning where the Bible was written, why, you have a point there and it's the same point Essan made (nice to see you again Essan.)  The OT, Torah, whatever etc. may not have been written in Israel.  I'll even go as far as to say that the Bible in your home wasn't even published in Israel.  Does this matter?

Harte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users