Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ball Lightning and UFOs.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

BALL LIGHTNING does not look like "lightning." Instead, it usually appears as a mysterious glowing sphere which drifts horizontally through the air. It is typically the size of a grapefruit, but sometimes appears as small as a pea, or as large as a bus. It sometime hovers at a few feet or tens of feet altitude, but can also bounce along the ground. It usually lasts only a few seconds, but sometimes persists much longer.
Link

Posted Image

Does Ball lightning account for some UFO sightings?

The phenomenon itself appears to be a pretty controversial one within mainstream science but it refers to luminous, (mostly) spherical objects which vary in size and 'move up, down, sideways or in unpredictable trajectories' - some ball lightning accounts also describe it moving through solid masses of wood or metal without effect and other witnesses report a strange smell like ozone or burning sulphur.

There are some pretty remarkable interviews in the Arthur C. Clarke documentary below with people who claim to have experienced ball lightning and some of their observations do share certain characteristics with UFO testimony:

Interviews at 7:25

Followed on here:

Description:

Visual sightings are often accompanied by sound, odor, and other natural and unnatural phenomenon.  Most are accompanied by a loud humming.  Sometimes ball lightnings are reported to emit a hissing sound. Many observers report a distinctive odor accompanying ball lightning. The odor is usually described as sharp and repugnant, resembling ozone, burning sulphur, or nitric oxide.

Many eyewitness accounts describe its movement as having the characteristics of an intelligence guiding it.  It often enters structures through windows or doors, though it seems to have no difficulty passing through solid walls.  It travels down hallways and up and down stairs and other lines of logical access and egress within structures. It pauses at objects and living things as though observing them.  It has been described as similar to remote reconnaissance drones portrayed in science fiction movies.  

A diameter of 6-18 inches is the most common size, although reports range from inch up to 50 feet in width.  They are luminous and spherical in shape and come in a rainbow of colors, often changing color many times during a single event.  They do not seem to do a great deal of harm, although in their exits, they sometimes explode which can cause damage. They have even been sighted in aircraft flying in clear skies and on marine vessels without a cloud in sight.

Reports

Articles:

A Social History of Ball Lightning.  Martin Shough

Unfriendly Fire - Ball Lightning and UFOs

Spectre in the sky - The evidence for ball lightning

#2    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,095 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:34 AM

I agree with you Karl, it could only account for some sightings, definitely not all.

Very interesting on the links, thanks, I will finish them later today.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#3    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Psyche, thanks for the reply and there's some pretty darn interesting reading at the links - there's also a bit of a crazy ball lightning incident described here from on board an aircraft in 1963 where a professor and an air stewardess witnessed a 'perfectly symmetrical glowing white blue sphere' emerge from the pilot's cabin and travel down the aisle of the aircraft before disappearing out through the toilet compartment!  :o
Cheers.

#4    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

• Republicans and Democrats and Satan oh my!!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Though I prefer the name Earthlights, thanks for the info!!!  Especially the interview ... been researching these lights for years and any new link is always useful and thanks!!!

#5    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Ignus, no probs matey -there's an interesting National Geographic article here on the subject but I think the first sentence just about sums it up.

"There's certainly no consensus. I don't think that anyone knows what it is," said Graham K. Hubler, a physicist at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C...

While some skeptics remain, there is significant observational evidence for ball lightning's existence.

"There are around 10,000 written accounts of observations covering many countries with similar properties recurring in many observations," said John Abrahamson, a professor of chemistry at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand.

"All this points to a phenomenon which is repeatable and justifies a single label."

Thousands of eyewitnesses have described seeing a floating, glowing ball similar to a tennis ball or even a beach ball..

Link

Cheers.

#6    Ignus Fatuus

Ignus Fatuus

Poltergeist

• 2,678 posts

• Republicans and Democrats and Satan oh my!!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 13 May 2010 - 09:05 PM, said:

Ignus, no probs matey -there's an interesting National Geographic article here on the subject but I think the first sentence just about sums it up.

Link

Cheers.
Even though I have already frequented that link ... thanks very much!!!
I sent you a message and I am certain that if you want some info that I have no doubt you have never seen that you will reply.
I stopped fishing years ago ... about the same time that I started to research my experiences.  Persinger, Devereax and many other noted scientists have also spent a lifetime trying to figure out this "bump in the night".  

Most people only get to see this phenomenon once in their lifetime.  I have had five experiences, mostly due to the land that I am on ... and that is a theory unto itself.
I have just on occassion frequented this forum on this website ... maybe I can learn a few things here if others will spare their time.
Quaere verum ... seek the truth.

#7    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hey Ignus, thanks for the reply - this realy does seem to be a pretty freaky phenomenon and will certainly try to look into the work of the people you mention - I don't know if you've read any of the atmospherical physics papers authored by Dr James E. Mcdonald but he makes some very interesting comments in this CASI report about Corona, Ball Lightning and Plasma-UFOs:

UFOs -- An International Scientific Problem

Also, when it comes to unidentified aerial phenomena -I think this is one of the best interviews I've ever heard on the subject. :)

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12, 15 May 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#8    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I agree with you guys that the anomolous Eath lights, are probably the cause of some of the UFOs reported.

Not all of them though.

There could be a trillion and one explanations for something observed in the sky that the observer couldnt identify... a UFO.

Still, to make the claim that any of these weird sightings are alien in origin takes a little more
than that "If they are not ours... then they must be ET" BS we keep hearing from the believers.

Edited by Hazzard, 15 May 2010 - 09:43 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#9    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 30,395 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

View PostHazzard, on 15 May 2010 - 09:41 PM, said:

Still, to make the claim that any of these weird sightings are alien in origin takes a little more
than that "If they are not ours... then they must be ET" BS we keep hearing from the believers.

Try painting this incident as ball lightning.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#10    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Try painting it as ET only.  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#11    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 30,395 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostHazzard, on 15 May 2010 - 09:58 PM, said:

Try painting it as ET only.  Posted Image

That's easy! We have no such craft in our inventory.

#12    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

View Postskyeagle409, on 15 May 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

That's easy! We have no such craft in our inventory.

..as in, couldnt these be terrestrial in origin?

If not, why not?

Edited by Hazzard, 15 May 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#13    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 30,395 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

View PostHazzard, on 15 May 2010 - 10:11 PM, said:

..as in, couldnt these be terrestrial in origin?

If not, why not?

It was determined that the object was under intelligent control, and from that, you can then ask the question; do we have such a craft? If not, then, the question has been answered.

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

I am glad someone has started this topic , I very recently started reading up on this ( Thanks Ignus ) , and I find it very interesting...National Geogaphic had a very good show on them , and will re-air it...

And the ones looking at these things are not saying " ET " , I believe all of us are trying to figure out what they are....They do exist , that is for sure.....
National Gegraphic Schedule for the show

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,759 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

View Postskyeagle409, on 15 May 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

Try painting this incident as ball lightning.

SkyEagle, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics came to the unanimous conclusion in this report that the object involved in the RB-47 case was not 'plasma' or 'electrical luminosity by the atmosphere' so that truly is an interesting UFO case.  :yes:

As for ball lightning -it's not very long (or that impressive) but here's an interesting clip from Youtube.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users