Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Psychological Question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,838 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

I was asked an interesting question the other day.. "If you read Freud's work or pavlov, ect...., how does their teachings interest your life or my personal aspects on things.?"

I thought about frued and just figured that his findings and recognitions on the unconscious mind were flabbergasting. He is by far (to me, that is) the most intellectual psychologist to come through the game.

What about you guys? would you agree or disagree?? also, if not Freud then who would you choose?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    nognome

nognome

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• there are no storybook romances No... fairy tale endings So before you run out to change the world,Ask yourself:
    What do you really want?

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

my psychologist retired  :no:
And my psychiatrist flew back to pakinstan

Edited by nognome, 19 May 2010 - 05:40 AM.

[i]We see the iceberg from 15 miles away
The captain orders the ship to "stay the course""Full speed ahead" shouts the accurst The next thing we heard was, "rich women and children first"The ship is listing, the captain's placing blame on the iceberg "That berg attacked us, I am declaring war on the Arctic"

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,507 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

Carl Jung and Alan Watts.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#4    Rene2

Rene2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 19 May 2010 - 02:56 AM, said:

I was asked an interesting question the other day.. "If you read Freud's work or pavlov, ect...., how does their teachings interest your life or my personal aspects on things.?"

I thought about frued and just figured that his findings and recognitions on the unconscious mind were flabbergasting. He is by far (to me, that is) the most intellectual psychologist to come through the game.

What about you guys? would you agree or disagree?? also, if not Freud then who would you choose?

I have not read any Frued, but I totally love C Jung ... I want to get his Red book, I have referenced him sooooo many times along my journey  ie) shadows, archtypes

#5    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

freud, jung, etc....
they all teach us that this earth is just a dream...
if all of us realized it maybe there would be no hunger, pain, war, loneliness...
but again its all part of the dream....

even i cant realize it....
grrrrrrr

I was born crying, I die crying,
Why i cant remember the days of the past..
Internal silence Keep it...
im going gone insane...
I must be infinite!!!

#6    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,838 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

nohands.. can you tell me more specifically or find me a website where he talks about that? I never understood him to theorize that?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#7    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

• c^2= (d/t)^2 = d^2/t^2 = (d^2) x (1/t^2)...Time is squared

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

I like Jung but was intrigued by Freud's early works. By the standards of many, they were quite a challenge. As many know Lucid Element Freud worked with a certain group of women.

Have you ever seen the drawings of women related to his written works?

Any thoughts?

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all states
that can be perceived as matter
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time        
Man is infinite
God is more
Black Hole Creates Spectacular Light Show

#8    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

just search jung in the web...
im embarrassed that i neither find a site which composed of all jung's writings..
so just search...
sorry

I was born crying, I die crying,
Why i cant remember the days of the past..
Internal silence Keep it...
im going gone insane...
I must be infinite!!!

#9    Mr.Thick

Mr.Thick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

First off, let me just say that I am majoring in psychology, so I've learned a lot about Freud. With that being said, I absolutely cannot stand Freud ever since I learned his explanation for why people molest young children. His reasoning was, put simply, "they wanted it".
Seriously!? Ugh. That just sickens me. And it's also believed that he molested his daughter, Anna Freud. However, that can't be proven. There is however a letter that she wrote which she doesn't want to be opened until 2020. I wonder what that letter says....
Also, his entire psychosexual theory is ridiculous. To suggest that children have sexual instincts from birth is, in my opinion, complete idiocy. Then, Freud further develops his theory to suggest that all children have a desire to sleep with their opposite sex parent, which is how he came to believe that "children are molested because they want it". That's just sick.
And my last point is that he believes that all of adults problems are because of events that happened in one's childhood. I personally believe that what happened in the past should not be the focus of any patients psychological treatment. Because of this I disagree with psychoanalytic therapy. I believe client centered therapy is the way to go.

Whenever Freud comes up, I can't wait for the module to be over. Even both of my professors cannot stand his ideas, but teach it because it's part of the course.

That being said, I do find his ideas about the "unconscious" mind to be a little intriguing, more specifically the idea that dreams are the "Royal Road to the Unconscious". However, his beliefs about all childhood issues greatly overpowers my curiosity about his other ideas.

A psychologist that I do agree with is Eric Erikson. In contrast to Freud's psychosexual theory, Erikson created his psychosocial theory of development. To me, it makes more sense if you actually read through it instead of believing that children have sexual desires from the moment they are born.

Also, Pavlov's discovery about conditioning is amazing to me. I have done experiments using classical conditioning myself to see if I could get desirable results. It actually works! Pavlov (although accidentally) made a fine discovery.

I'd be interested to know what exactly you guys find interesting about Freud's research though.

#10    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Mr. T
2020 isn't that far away from now, I'll still be alive so..10 more years to go, lets start the countdown! lol While Freud did have sparks of genius, he also came up with as you said uhmm not so good reasoning and rather disturbing.

Edited by puridalan, 02 June 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#11    Halfwolf

Halfwolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

• The smallest of good deeds is greater than the best of intentions. Anonymous

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

Wasn't Freud also a coke addict ?

#12    Mr.Thick

Mr.Thick

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

View Postpuridalan, on 02 June 2010 - 09:41 PM, said:

Mr. T
2020 isn't that far away from now, I'll still be alive so..10 more years to go, lets start the countdown! lol While Freud did have sparks of genius, he also came up with as you said uhmm not so good reasoning and rather disturbing.

Yes! I'm anxious to find out what is in the letter.
And yeah, like I said I find some of his ideas interesting, but there were more things that were so bizarrely wrong in my opinion.

View PostHalfwolf, on 03 June 2010 - 02:16 AM, said:

Wasn't Freud also a coke addict ?

Hahaha.
Well, I haven't heard that one but honestly I wouldn't doubt it.

#13    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Eric Berne.

#14    jrree57

jrree57

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 19 May 2010 - 02:56 AM, said:

#15    jrree57

jrree57

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

[quote name='LucidElement' date='19 May 2010 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1274237792' post='3419614']
  I am sorry
     Freud was a master in his own right,
         His ideas on the reality and the mind changed western culture forever. A word-ologist created terms like psychology and para-phraxes, psychosis, neurosis,  etc. Now how can someone come up with a names like paranoid, mani n-depresent but these are now house hold word or terms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users