Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Changing with the times?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,093 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:45 AM

I'm not referring to specific people.  Statistics are about everyone in general.  Yes, I know a few Phd's who also believe in various Gods.  I know even more who go to church out of sheer habit.  The great majority of the people I know, are simply atheists.  Not doggedly so, not crusaders against religion; they simply decided that they did not believe.

I would imagine that the quantity of believers vs. non-believers you personally know will vary depending on the group that you hang out with.  This particular poll, however, was done through various universities around the United States (still haven't gotten around to looking for.

However, there seems to be some confusion over the issue of education affecting faith and affecting religion.  Let me clarify my own personal stance on the subject.  The higher up an individual person goes on the educational circuit, the more they are exposed to the inner workings of the physical world we inhabit.  However, by the time they arrive at this level, they are at an age where changing personal beliefs is not (generaly speaking) a major, much less public, affair.  In short, those who do go on believing and those who chose not to do not make a firm declaration of their intent, but rather fall into it over the course of their academic life.  It becomes the most personal of choices because it is done through the action of living rather than as a choice one must decide to follow.

A person who does things in one way inevitably chooses to do them the same way again, and is comfortable with others doing it that way as well.  A person who allowed their belief or lack thereof to develop without outside emphasis will be comfortable allowing their children or students to do the same.  As the students grow and learn, the original religious emphasis, whatever it may have been for their teachers, is lessened for the student.  They gradually grow and repeat the cycle, till the religious emphasis is no more than reference to mythological beliefs of an ancient people.

That is how a higher education will affect religion in general.  How it affects an individual's religion I'll post a little later when I'm more up to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users