Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Beavers responsible for Poland's flooding


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 40,742 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Beavers are partly to blame for the devastating floods that have swept Poland killing 15 people because the animals tunnel through vital defences protecting the cities, the interior minister has said.

"The greatest enemy of the flood defences is an animal called the beaver. They live everywhere along the levees on the Vistula (river) and cause a lot of damage to them," Jerzy Miller said.

An estimated 50,000 of the large, mostly nocturnal, semi-aquatic rodents live in Poland where they enjoy a degree of protection, animal welfare services say.

However, local authorities have upped hunting quotas for the animals in the wake of the floods.

Posted Image Read more...


Posted Image

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,127 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

I think this is a case of mistaken identity.

I donīt think itīs beavers that are to blame, but muskrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat


#3    Mattshark

Mattshark

    stuff

  • Member
  • 16,985 posts
  • Joined:29 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Liverpool, UK

  • Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

    If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 26 May 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

I think this is a case of mistaken identity.

I donīt think itīs beavers that are to blame, but muskrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat

Why muskrats?

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#4    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,342 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary Alberta Canada

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

View PostMattshark, on 26 May 2010 - 03:10 PM, said:

Why muskrats?


Not sure either as the beaver is no doubt the culprit damning up drainage ditches and culverts.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.


The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,127 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

View PostMattshark, on 26 May 2010 - 03:10 PM, said:

Why muskrats?

I know what beavers are capable of, but I also know muskrats are in far larger numbers living in Poland (and Europe in general).

Here in Holland they have been trying for many years to exterminate the muskrats because they create danger of flooding (digging long tunnels in flood-defences).

And they even re-introduced beavers; I don't think if beavers were as dangerous as the Polish claim they are, that we Dutch would have reintroduced them in our country...

And btw, there was even a Polish official saying it wasn't beavers, but muskrats.

But hey, they look alot alike, and beaver pelts are much more valuable than muskrat pelts. Happy Hunting.


#6    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,308 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 May 2010 - 05:15 PM, said:

I know what beavers are capable of, but I also know muskrats are in far larger numbers living in Poland (and Europe in general).

Here in Holland they have been trying for many years to exterminate the muskrats because they create danger of flooding (digging long tunnels in flood-defences).

And they even re-introduced beavers; I don't think if beavers were as dangerous as the Polish claim they are, that we Dutch would have reintroduced them in our country...

And btw, there was even a Polish official saying it wasn't beavers, but muskrats.

But hey, they look alot alike, and beaver pelts are much more valuable than muskrat pelts. Happy Hunting.


i think i  prefer american beavers.  they actually help to control flooding.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#7    Mac E

Mac E

    Mass Confuser

  • Member
  • 2,144 posts
  • Joined:04 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

  • If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

View Postdanielost, on 28 May 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

i think i  prefer american beavers.  they actually help to control flooding.

Ha that is a great post!  :tu: Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding.  That is how they create their environment.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#8    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,308 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

View PostMac E, on 28 May 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

Ha that is a great post!  :tu: Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding.  That is how they create their environment.

beaver dams create small ponds.  after which flooding up stream disapates into the pond instead of rushing down stream.  true to start with it is flooding after wards it is flood control.  just like human dams.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,127 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostMac E, on 28 May 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

Ha that is a great post!  Posted Image Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding.  That is how they create their environment.


Well, I hope you did read my former post.

Initially I assumed it was a case of mistaken identity, but now I have the strong feeling it's a case of profit...

Here in Holland the reintroduced beavers create no problems at all, but the muskrats sure as hell do.

If they didnt kill those muskrats by the thousands every year I would live on the 1st floor instead of on the 7th floor... and have a large stretch of sea right up to my balcony.


#10    Mac E

Mac E

    Mass Confuser

  • Member
  • 2,144 posts
  • Joined:04 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

  • If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 May 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

Well, I hope you did read my former post.

Initially I assumed it was a case of mistaken identity, but now I have the strong feeling it's a case of profit...

Here in Holland the reintroduced beavers create no problems at all, but the muskrats sure as hell do.

If they didnt kill those muskrats by the thousands every year I would live on the 1st floor instead of on the 7th floor... and have a large stretch of sea right up to my balcony.

I did read you first post and I was skeptical at first, but the more I thought about it, it would make sense that it could be muskrats.  I have seen them digging into the sides of the river banks.  I can see where that would create some damage if there was a high population of muskrats in the area.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#11    jesspy

jesspy

    Full of Wisdumb

  • Member
  • 8,113 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canberra, Australia

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

beavers are cool we should get them to build our hydroelectric dams

Posted Image

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users