Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atheists and Fundamentalists

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#286    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

View Postmklsgl, on 30 June 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

Check out the United Way scandal, ST. If my memory is not suffering from "Too Many Grateful Dead Tours-itis," I think the numbers involved were somewhere around 12 cents per dollar.

I have heard that as well most aren't that low .12 cents. However it gives people an idea of just how little trickles down. I was trying to find some numbers last night online but it appears charities are very tight lipped about this subject.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#287    Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

"His Dudeness"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "..."

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

View Postmklsgl, on 30 June 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

Check out the United Way scandal, ST. If my memory is not suffering from "Too Many Grateful Dead Tours-itis," I think the numbers involved were somewhere around 12 cents per dollar.

There have been many, particularly with the United Way. Remember Aramony? the issue with the United way is how it's structured. I just don't think there are enough checks and balances on a national level. Every smaller "satellite" seems largely responsible for itself. Which can be a huge problem especially when the president is a thief.

Sick sad and sorry.

#288    Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

"His Dudeness"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

• "..."

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 30 June 2010 - 10:46 AM, said:

It is a difficult proposition, Miyagi-san.

If we take the view that spiritual aid is irrelevant, then we can view the physical aid as 'trumping' the teaching of a belief. However, the simple act of teaching a belief can result in future behaviour which is detrimental to the society through the very interpretive nature of belief.

Beliefs are dangerous because people can choose how to interpret them and behave accordingly. Teaching someone that holding a particular belief results in a particular benefit can lead to division, bigotry and even violence.

If these missionary organisations are focussed solely on providing physical aid, I would prefer to see them provide that aid through non-denominational organisations like Medicins Sans Frontiers, etc. There is no need for them to send their religion with the aid.

If we take the view that the spiritual aid is relevant, then we have to consider what particular 'brand' of religious aid is 'true'. Both in 'eternal terms' and for the immediate succor of the recipient. Teaching only the belief held by the missionary is gambling with the 'eternal well-being' of that recipient. As I said earlier, fine to gamble with your own eternal well-being, but one does not have the right to gamble with another's. That smacks of arrogance.

I understand where you're coming from here, as I've made similar statements in my own posts on the subject. I guess, my outlook upon the spiritual is that if an individual feels they need "spiritual" aid they can gain that from Christianity, Judaism, Islam, you choose, etc... I'm not so much concerned with where that comes from, only that the need is indeed a genuine need and not the result of living within extreme circumstances. The much more pressing issue is physical need imho. There are no gray areas here unless it's a community of ascetics or something.

Thanks agin Leo! much appreciated brother.

Posted Image

Lighten the mood abit lol.

#289    mklsgl

mklsgl

just me

• 3,153 posts

• They're selling postcards of the hanging
    They're painting the passports brown
    The beauty parlor's filled with sailors
    The circus is in town

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 30 June 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Robert De Niro right? Wow it's been awhile since i'v seen that, pretty good flick. Think I'll watch it tonight, refresh my memory.

You are thinking of The Mission with De Niro and Jeremy Irons, which is just as apt, but the film I am speaking of is detailed here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

Edited by mklsgl, 01 July 2010 - 03:53 PM.

Grateful Dead; July, 31, 1982 @ Manor Downs, Manor, TX
"Yes it's 'T' For Texas"
Be Here Now!

#290    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

View Postmklsgl, on 01 July 2010 - 03:53 PM, said:

You are thinking of The Mission with De Niro and Jeremy Irons, which is just as apt, but the film I am speaking of is detailed here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

Quit right, thx now I have two movies I look forward to visiting again.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#291    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostTiggs, on 16 June 2010 - 12:25 PM, said:

On the basis that the most religious Western country is a place where two thirds of people believe that the Sun revolves around the Earth, and still hasn't worked out that sexuality doesn't matter, you'll have to excuse me if I don't buy your assertion about Science and tolerance being the norm.

Huh, is it, really? I can understand belief in creationism overriding evolution in numbers, but this one seems a bit too implausible, in today's day and age and that too in US. Do you have a source?

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#292    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostBlood_Sacrifice, on 24 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Huh, is it, really? I can understand belief in creationism overriding evolution in numbers, but this one seems a bit too implausible, in today's day and age and that too in US. Do you have a source?

Probing a more universal measure of knowledge, Gallup also asked the following basic science question, which has been used to indicate the level of public knowledge in two European countries in recent years: "As far as you know, does the earth revolve around the sun or does the sun revolve around the earth?" In the new poll, about four out of five Americans (79%) correctly respond that the earth revolves around the sun, while 18% say it is the other way around. These results are comparable to those found in Germany when a similar question was asked there in 1996; in response to that poll, 74% of Germans gave the correct answer, while 16% thought the sun revolved around the earth, and 10% said they didn't know. When the question was asked in Great Britain that same year, 67% answered correctly, 19% answered incorrectly, and 14% didn't know.  

Source - http://www.abovetops...hread335216/pg1

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#293    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

^ Thanks. So more people believe in the heliocentric model in US.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#294    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 8,972 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Apparently so. Goodness knows where I magic'd two-thirds up from.

"What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?" - Tiggs vs PA - Did Jesus Really exist? - The Formal Debate:
HERE
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users