Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant hailstones - how big can they get ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Richard Wheeler</strong>
Image credit: Richard Wheeler
Gigantic hailstones are one of the most unusual and destructive forms of weather. Causing damage to roofs, cars and posing a risk to anyone caught walking around showers of hailstones as large as baseballs have been recorded throughout history in various parts of the world.

"With chunks of ice -- sometimes very large -- falling out of the sky during a warm-weather season, hail is one of the most unusual, and destructive, types of weather. hail is common in the U. S. , especially in and near "Tornado Alley," but large hail occurs frequently in Europe as well. "

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: AOL News

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

They can come the size of a baseball here......does that help????

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!
will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!
The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!
it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

#3    RaZoR_ninja

RaZoR_ninja

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• Love for All. Hatred for None.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Wow, imagine getting hit on the head by one of those
I'm happy hailstones in England are never bigger than the size of a pea.

Edited by RaZoR_ninja, 17 June 2010 - 03:32 PM.

A wrong concept misleads the understanding; a wrong deed degrades the whole man, and may eventually demolish the structure of the human ego.

#4    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,153 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've never seen them bigger then golf ball sized aroung here.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#5    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,546 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

They get pretty big around here.  I've had them smash through our porch roof.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#6    Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

• "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

Just had our first hailstorm i can remember in years, i took some video of it but i couldn't help but drop a couple F bomb's in it so i won't post it ;)

I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.  Albert Einstein

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

We usually don't get very big hail, but sometimes a lot of it shows up and it covers the ground like snow. I've only seen that happen a couple times in 40 years though.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    nognome

nognome

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• there are no storybook romances No... fairy tale endings So before you run out to change the world,Ask yourself:
    What do you really want?

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

what i wanna know is are they bigger whilst in the clouds and get smaller and smaller as they fall, OR do they collect rain and grow in size as they plummet to the ground?

[i]We see the iceberg from 15 miles away
The captain orders the ship to "stay the course""Full speed ahead" shouts the accurst The next thing we heard was, "rich women and children first"The ship is listing, the captain's placing blame on the iceberg "That berg attacked us, I am declaring war on the Arctic"

#9    Oen Anderson

Oen Anderson

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• We are all individuals and we are all special in our own unique way which really makes us quite ordinary!

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

I'm a little disapointed they didn't say how big hail stones can get.  It takes an updraft on the front of the storm system of 60 miles an hour to make a hail stone the size of a golf ball.  It takes an updraft of 100 miles an hour to make one the size of a baseball and a 110 mph updraft to make one the size of a softball.  A couple years ago hail stones fell in China the size of basketballs and the following year basketball size hail fell in Colorado. That takes an updraft of 300 mph which means the jet stream was at work in the really big ones and they don't get any bigger than that because of the physics.

#10    Orkid

Orkid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

the last hail storm we had here... they were as a big as an egg.. chicken egg

#11    ships-cat

ships-cat

Alien Abducter

• 5,122 posts

• ..it's all too confusing for the working Cat to understand.... :(

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Pfft.. wimps.

Ours are the size of Volkswagens.

(mind you.. being fuel-efficient europeans.. our Volkswagens are only the size of basketballs)

(Oh... and our basketballs are only the size of golf balls)

meow purr :)

A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other.

#12    Father Of Evolution

Father Of Evolution

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• I was not; I have been; I am not; I do not mind.

-Epicurus

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:15 AM

Wow, how cold is it up there?  :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by Father Of Evolution, 26 June 2010 - 06:17 AM.

Spoiler

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,090 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostOen Anderson, on 18 June 2010 - 06:11 AM, said:

I'm a little disapointed they didn't say how big hail stones can get.  It takes an updraft on the front of the storm system of 60 miles an hour to make a hail stone the size of a golf ball.  It takes an updraft of 100 miles an hour to make one the size of a baseball and a 110 mph updraft to make one the size of a softball.  A couple years ago hail stones fell in China the size of basketballs and the following year basketball size hail fell in Colorado. That takes an updraft of 300 mph which means the jet stream was at work in the really big ones and they don't get any bigger than that because of the physics.

Are you sure about that? Never heard of basketball size hail.
The article says:
"For the record, the largest hailstone in the world fell in Aurora, Neb., on June 22, 2003. It was larger than a softball (7 inches in diameter)."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users