Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Central & South America and the unexplained

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Is it my imagination or are there a lot of unexplained mysteries on the continent of South America?

Nazca Lines
Aztecs
Mayan ruins
Easter Island (off the coast of Chile)
Machu Picchu and other Incan ruins
Lost city of Z (Brazil)- which may have been found recently
Puma Punku (Bolivia)

Any others? Why so many in South America?  Comments?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#2    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 17 June 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Is it my imagination or are there a lot of unexplained mysteries on the continent of South America?

Nazca Lines
Aztecs
Mayan ruins
Puma Punku (Bolivia)

There are a great many mysteries you are right but trying to piece them together is not easy. It seems like it has been populated by man for 20,000 years or more. However, it seems that the increase in organized culture only started 2,000bce or later with the incoming Olmecs who are thought by some to be the first proto mayans who brought maths, astronomy and the ball game pok a tok that is still played in central america today. I think the greatest mystery is that it was not Columbus who discovered the Americas but a multitude of african and polynesian people for millenia before big Chris.

There are some great threads on this site about mayan sound technology and that stuff is a true unexplained mystery. The mayan society did collapse due to drought around 800ad but that there was spiritual technology before is pretty interesting. Was this a home grown part of culture or was it brought in?

Ive always found the Maya as the children of the corn an interesting concept and then you have the crystal skull debate. I don't wanna get into the whole thing but we do know that there was some sort of cult around skulls even if some are claimed as forgeries.

What's that nation Z thing? Is that like Hy Brazil or something? The underground city where some explorers allegedly dissappeared to. I can't find where I read about it but they were some cool stories.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,129 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 17 June 2010 - 07:32 PM, said:

Ive always found the Maya as the children of the corn an interesting concept and then you have the crystal skull debate. I don't wanna get into the whole thing but we do know that there was some sort of cult around skulls even if some are claimed as forgeries.

Oh, but there is a remote possibility that they are not, if the Maya, Aztecs and whoever else, had modern CNC machines to make them.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 17 June 2010 - 07:36 PM, said:

Oh, but there is a remote possibility that they are not, if the Maya, Aztecs and whoever else, had modern CNC machines to make them.

Sure but the alternative view is that large pices of crystal was sourced from underground caves and the passed down through generations who would use sand and water to create the form of a skull. I don't know if this is possible but it's worth considering.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,129 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 17 June 2010 - 07:53 PM, said:

Sure but the alternative view is that large pices of crystal was sourced from underground caves and the passed down through generations who would use sand and water to create the form of a skull. I don't know if this is possible but it's worth considering.

Sure, it is. The problem is that with forensic means nowadays you can identify the used tool with 99.9% certainty. And if the tool was a water cooled carborundum disk your chances of any Mayan making the object are pretty low.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,113 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 17 June 2010 - 06:06 PM, said:

Nazca Lines
Aztecs
Mayan ruins
Puma Punku (Bolivia)

Most of your 'unexplained' examples have reasonable scientific/historic explanations.

I never heard of a "Lost city of Z" in Brasil, or maybe you are thinking of that fraud called "Tatunca Nara" (A German guy playing 'white Indian" and creating one of the greatests hoaxes of the past century) or maybe "Colonel Fawcett"??

Then Puma Punku remains as the only true South American mystery.

But it's not 17,000 years old, as Posnansky claimed it was.

Now you have enough to Google, lol.

#7    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 17 June 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

I never heard of a "Lost city of Z" in Brasil, or maybe you are thinking of that fraud called "Tatunca Nara" (A German guy playing 'white Indian" and creating one of the greatests hoaxes of the past century) or maybe "Colonel Fawcett"??
There's a book out now called "The Lost City of Z" by David Grann (see Amazon) about the explorer Percy Fawcett. Also, there was a recent piece on CBS Sunday morning: http://www.cbsnews.c...in6229167.shtml

"In the last few years, archaeologists are now going into this region using high-tech gadgetry that Fawcett could never imagine - Satellite imagery, ground penetrating radars to pinpoint various artifacts," said Grann. "And they are discovering ancient ruins scattered throughout the Amazon.

"One archaeologist has found, in the very area where Fawcett believed he would find Z, 20 pre-Colombian settlements that had roads built at right angles, bridges, causeways, and that a cluster of these settlements that were interconnected had populations of between 2,500 to 5,000 people, which would have made them the size of many medieval European cities at the time."

Supposedly, Brad Pitt has bought the rights to the book to make a movie of the story of Fawcett.

View PostAbramelin, on 17 June 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

Now you have enough to Google, lol.

Perhaps I didn't communicate clearly. I don't need additional info on the areas that I listed (I know how to google, etc., just fine). What I'm really interested in is that it seems like there are more numerous, somewhat mysterious ruins in Central & South America than in other parts of the world. Is this just my own misperception?

Edited by archernyc, 17 June 2010 - 09:28 PM.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#8    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 17 June 2010 - 07:32 PM, said:

There are some great threads on this site about mayan sound technology and that stuff is a true unexplained mystery.

I'll have to check out the stuff you mention about the Mayans above - sounds interesting. As for the crystal skulls, I totally forgot about them. Duh! Unless they're complete fakes, I find it hard to believe that they were not made with machines.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,113 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 17 June 2010 - 09:25 PM, said:

There's a book out now called "The Lost City of Z" by David Grann (see Amazon) about the explorer Percy Fawcett. Also, there was a recent piece on CBS Sunday morning: http://www.cbsnews.c...in6229167.shtml

"In the last few years, archaeologists are now going into this region using high-tech gadgetry that Fawcett could never imagine - Satellite imagery, ground penetrating radars to pinpoint various artifacts," said Grann. "And they are discovering ancient ruins scattered throughout the Amazon.

"One archaeologist has found, in the very area where Fawcett believed he would find Z, 20 pre-Colombian settlements that had roads built at right angles, bridges, causeways, and that a cluster of these settlements that were interconnected had populations of between 2,500 to 5,000 people, which would have made them the size of many medieval European cities at the time."

Supposedly, Brad Pitt has bought the rights to the book to make a movie of the story of Fawcett.

Perhaps I didn't communicate clearly. I don't need additional info on the areas that I listed (I know how to google, etc., just fine). What I'm really interested in is that it seems like there are more numerous, somewhat mysterious ruins in Central & South America than in other parts of the world. Is this just my own misperception?

Give us links to scientists exploring the Amazon basin, not links to guys with nothing but an adventurous mind.

Btw, I believed Fawcett's accounts for many years, but now I want more than just a captivating story.

I want proof, not day-dreams.

#10    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:36 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 17 June 2010 - 09:36 PM, said:

Give us links to scientists exploring the Amazon basin, not links to guys with nothing but an adventurous mind.

Btw, I believed Fawcett's accounts for many years, but now I want more than just a captivating story.

I want proof, not day-dreams.
Does this work for you?

http://www.archaeolo...azon-basin.html

Here's a bit:

Brazilian archaeologist Denise Schaan still does not believe in the legendary land El Dorado, although she and her team keep finding signs of an ancient and advanced civilization in the western Amazon basin.

The signs point to a people that lived there more than a millennium ago in systematically built settlements with a sophisticated road network.

With the aid of satellite imagery and photographs taken from airplanes, the archaeologists have so far identified more than 260 geoglyphs, or large geometric figures carved in the ground. The figures have been laid bare by increasing deforestation of the long-impenetrable jungle.

'Up to now it's been nearly impossible to see the geoglyphs because they were covered by the dense rain forest,' Schaan, a professor at the Federal University of Para in Belem, Brazil, told the German Press Agency dpa.

Alceu Ranzi, a countryman and now Schaan's colleague, spotted the geoglyphs and quickly realized that the lines forming circles and rectangles, between 100 and 300 metres in diameter, must be man-made. He made his first discoveries in the late 1990s near the Bolivian border. Schaan and a Finnish archaeologist joined the search in 2005, and the three began evaluating aerial photographs.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#11    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

Here's another that quotes the archeologists directly and includes photos:

http://news.discover...y-detailed.html

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#12    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,474 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

View Postarchernyc, on 17 June 2010 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'll have to check out the stuff you mention about the Mayans above - sounds interesting. As for the crystal skulls, I totally forgot about them. Duh! Unless they're complete fakes, I find it hard to believe that they were not made with machines.

The "crystal skulls" have been well discounted. See below for a brief breakdown. As to some of the other topics presented, they may not be so "mysterious" as one may be inclined to presume. For example, a study of Rapa Nui will reveal that many of the aspects involved have been resolved. Also, time-lines and "hype" should be taken into account. The use of terms such as "ancient" must be put into a proper and accurate time-frame.

http://www.archaeolo...5/etc/indy.html

#13    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

View PostSwede, on 18 June 2010 - 12:31 AM, said:

The "crystal skulls" have been well discounted. See below for a brief breakdown. As to some of the other topics presented, they may not be so "mysterious" as one may be inclined to presume. For example, a study of Rapa Nui will reveal that many of the aspects involved have been resolved. Also, time-lines and "hype" should be taken into account. The use of terms such as "ancient" must be put into a proper and accurate time-frame.

http://www.archaeolo...5/etc/indy.html

Thanks for the link, interesting article.  Like I said, I find it hard to believe that they are not machine made....still, I find it interesting that museums were taken in. Why does the museum in Mexico exhibit theirs as if they are real artifacts? I realize that they are crowd-pleasers, but why not label them as fakes then?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#14    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,310 posts

• Question everything

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

View PostSlimJim22, on 17 June 2010 - 07:53 PM, said:

Despite it's hardness, quartz can and has been worked into projectile points using nothing but traditional flintknapping techniques. Simple percussion flaking. Even if they weren't fakes, they could've been chipped and pecked and drilled closely to shape by hand in relatively short order, leaving just the final details to be ground and polished.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#15    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

I think they become mysteries because others want them to be. It is when others take over because they think their religon or beliefs are better..or for other options. Basically its when another x individual wants to dominate another being. When this happens a lot of culture or complete culture can be lost, this happened a lot with Native Americans and now most of their practices are gone. Within a few hundred years or less it would be easy to see forgetting them competely. However, when some are forgotten, even though many might of been wiped out by disease, war, or deadly assassination...some can still remain. Perhaps these roots we have lost, are not completely gone as one thinks, and such things will come back again.

Its like clothing trends..they come they go.

Quartz is an AMAZING tool and should not be underestimated, the healing properties are just phenomenal those who say otherwise certainly have not seen it's poteintal and need to do more research themselves. These natural properties of our mother earth should not be taken for granted and thrown. Mind you this is and has been used as healing techniques since a very long time, and currently being used in lights for healing techinques. To state otherwise is stupid, simply because you yourself haven't done enough studying about it. I am stating this because it brings up to the thing that as a society we believe it impossible to build and create such things..when they had much healthier minds in their creativity and will power as a whole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users