Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

The children who really do see dead people


  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#76    pendora

pendora

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Joined:14 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Southern Ontario

  • Life is an Occasion. Rise to it!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 23 August 2010 - 07:46 PM, said:

What abilities do you have?

I'm curious as to why you ask, Mulder, when you don't seem to see validity in any of the talents.

I'm an empath and clairsentient - sense , clairaudient - hearing, clairvoyent - inner sight, clairscent - smell and clairtangent - psychometry. I do get glimpses of future events, but that is an emotional read, as opposed to visions. I have channelled in the past but it has been rare.

Edited by pendora, 23 August 2010 - 07:58 PM.

...

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#77    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

View Postpendora, on 23 August 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:

I'm curious as to why you ask, Mulder, when you don't seem to see validity in any of the talents.

I'm an empath and clairsentient - sense , clairaudient - hearing, clairvoyent - inner sight, clairscent - smell and clairtangent - psychometry. I do get glimpses of future events, but that is an emotional read, as opposed to visions. I have channelled in the past but it has been rare.

Someone tells me theyre religious, while im not, youre saying i cannot ask them what they believe in? Why?
Whats psychometry? But, as eric stated, you could easily have these validated at a local uni.

the truth is out there....

#78    pendora

pendora

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Joined:14 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Southern Ontario

  • Life is an Occasion. Rise to it!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 23 August 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

Someone tells me theyre religious, while im not, youre saying i cannot ask them what they believe in? Why?
Whats psychometry? But, as eric stated, you could easily have these validated at a local uni.

Psychometry is touching an object and being able to tell things about the owner.

I've never felt the need to have my gifts validated.

I said I'd love to prove life after death. Validating my abilities wouldn't do that.

Apologies for the snarky comment. Sure, anyone can ask. I've just found you rather abrupt in some of your answers, so maybe people hesitate a little before putting things about themselves out there. Again, apologies.

Edited by pendora, 23 August 2010 - 08:14 PM.

...

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#79    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

    Master Blaster

  • Member
  • 11,065 posts
  • Joined:08 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Missing TX.

  • One day love will find me.....

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

View Postpendora, on 23 August 2010 - 08:13 PM, said:

I've never felt the need to have my gifts validated.

I said I'd love to prove life after death. Validating my abilities wouldn't do that.

Why not? Don't you realize what it would mean for the entire world if such abilities could be validated? It would be incredible. People that claim to have these abilties and don't wish to prove them are either selfish or they know they don't have them. This is just my opinion. I am passionate on this since it would change my entire outlook on the world. Its very important.
No disrespect intended.

FYI. I am not a total skeptic. I believe in some undefined higher power, so I am always searching for truth/proof of the paranormal.

Also, I have been read on several occasions, and not one of them came close to the mark. Not one.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.


...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#80    pendora

pendora

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Joined:14 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Southern Ontario

  • Life is an Occasion. Rise to it!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

View PostThe Skeptic Eric Raven, on 23 August 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

Why not? Don't you realize what it would mean for the entire world if such abilities could be validated? It would be incredible. People that claim to have these abilties and don't wish to prove them are either selfish or they know they don't have them. This is just my opinion. I am passionate on this since it would change my entire outlook on the world. Its very important.
No disrespect intended.

FYI. I am not a total skeptic. I believe in some undefined higher power, so I am always searching for truth/proof of the paranormal.

Also, I have been read on several occasions, and not one of them came close to the mark. Not one.


No disrespect taken. I'm not selfish and I definitely know something goes on with my senses. I have clients who have been coming to me for readings for many many years. I suggest twice a year only and never charge more than the reading price.

I've passed with flying colours the tests with the zener cards when I was at University in the 80s, in the psych dept.

I'm not sure what you want validated. People who experience my knowing, that's good enough for me. I don't want to be a lab rat.

As I said, if I could prove life after death, I'd do so gladly...but psychic gifts? no. They are something everyone has, but most don't use or want to use or know they have them.

...

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#81    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

    Master Blaster

  • Member
  • 11,065 posts
  • Joined:08 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Missing TX.

  • One day love will find me.....

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

View Postpendora, on 23 August 2010 - 08:35 PM, said:



I'm not sure what you want validated. People who experience my knowing, that's good enough for me. I don't want to be a lab rat.

This is what the typical person that claims powers says.
I am so tire of excuses, for once I would like to see someone step up.
Have a good one.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.


...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#82    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,525 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

View Postpendora, on 23 August 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

Psychic experiences are a very subjective thing.

A child sees a ghost. There is no way to prove that.

I see a ghost and there is no way to prove it.

I know what I see.  

The skeptics can remain skeptical. That doesn't change the experience of seeing / hearing / sensing it.
They can call it whatever they want and convince themselves it was nothing but a physiological response or an halluciation or whatever.

To ask for proof on a subjective experience is absurd.

There are anacdotal stories of "ghosts" telling kids things that can be found as fact. There's your proof. Too bad it's only in second hand stories. Try to drop the idea that those who don't believe, don't want to believe. It is not "us vs them".

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#83    Jewels1958

Jewels1958

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:NV USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 20 August 2010 - 07:53 PM, said:

Its really hard having people believe that kids can see all this, but then it Magically goes away once they grow up.
This sounds like a Disney movie, where some "special" people remember how to Feel them again when theyre older.


You ever hear of the stockholm syndrome, were people kidnapped can eventually come to side with their kidnappers.  I think it's something like that.  When a child grows up they are constantly bombarded with people, literature, etc telling them that ghosts or these abilities don't exist.  They begin to believe it and "presto" the ability goes away.  See it's all in their heads.  

But what about the strength of the human mind?  I was standing mere feet away from my best friend who was getting into the trunk of her car.  I was looking right at her and there is no way I couldn't have seen the car that slammed into her at 60 miles an hour crushing her between the two cars.  Yet what I remember is seeing the car out of the corner of my eye a second before it hit her and then the next memory is of her crumpled on the ground bloody and twisted.  The rest is gone and has been for 34 years (and I'm glad I don't remember it).  But it was too traumatic for my brain, so it wiped out the memory.  Yes I could go to a hypnotist and get that memory back (or I am fairly sure I could), but why would I?  To cause myself pain?  

If something was traumatic to you as a child and everyone around you told you were lying, imagining whatever, how easy it would be for your brain to "turn off" that feature?  I think fairly easy.  After all you have multiple personalities that develop from extreme abuse as a child, schizophrenia, etc.  

And on another note.  I have seen what I am fairly sure was a ghost in my office.  I was working the graveyard shift with one other person who was sitting next to me.  I turned around in my chair and there he stood.  A nondescript man in jeans and what looked like a flannel shirt.  I gaped at him and then poof he was just gone.  All while I was staring right at him.   This was after hearing things for years.  He was my first and to date only ghost. lol  I was thrilled to finally see one as my grandmother had seen quite a few in her lifetime. lol



My Portfolio - Writing.com
Sensible Survival
Heaven is a good book in your hand, a cat in your lap and a warm mug of cocoa.
Lissette - My gaming alter ego - MMO junky. :p

#84    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

View PostJewels1958, on 24 August 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

You ever hear of the stockholm syndrome, were people kidnapped can eventually come to side with their kidnappers.  I think it's something like that.  When a child grows up they are constantly bombarded with people, literature, etc telling them that ghosts or these abilities don't exist.  They begin to believe it and "presto" the ability goes away.  See it's all in their heads.  

Yeah, thats not even the same. A mind set or opinion isnt a biological ability. So thats not it.
You cant changne your mind and make it appear or go.

View PostJewels1958, on 24 August 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

But what about the strength of the human mind?  I was standing mere feet away from my best friend who was getting into the trunk of her car.  I was looking right at her and there is no way I couldn't have seen the car that slammed into her at 60 miles an hour crushing her between the two cars.  Yet what I remember is seeing the car out of the corner of my eye a second before it hit her and then the next memory is of her crumpled on the ground bloody and twisted.  The rest is gone and has been for 34 years (and I'm glad I don't remember it).  But it was too traumatic for my brain, so it wiped out the memory.  Yes I could go to a hypnotist and get that memory back (or I am fairly sure I could), but why would I?  To cause myself pain?  

Thats not relevant to anything here. A memory, mind set, opinion, is no special power. Sorry.

View PostJewels1958, on 24 August 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

If something was traumatic to you as a child and everyone around you told you were lying, imagining whatever, how easy it would be for your brain to "turn off" that feature?  I think fairly easy.  After all you have multiple personalities that develop from extreme abuse as a child, schizophrenia, etc.  

Wow. Youre equating someone getting hit by a car and being killed, and you repressing that sad, dark and grusome memory to a parent saying "oh, imaginary friends arent real. Now lets go to soccer practice"???

Theyre not remotely close.

the truth is out there....

#85    thechiller

thechiller

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined:10 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Elizabethton, TN

  • Livin the Dream!!!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

Great article! This is something that my wife and I have been discussing for the past year or so. We are probably crazy but our 6yr old daughter says she sees and talks to my wifes dead granddad all the time. Nearly every morning she will just come out with something off the wall or in ref to something she should've been to young to remember and when asked where she got this from all she says is "granddaddy told me". She acts like its nothing and doesnt understand why my wife or myself doesnt see him. We've asked if she really does see and talk to him or is it just an imaginary friend type of deal. She swears that granddaddy comes to her normally every night or several times a week and talks to her. We've heard her in her room playing and she'll be talking away to him.
  Granddaddy past away 2yrs ago in July, which would have made my daughter 4. From the day she was born til the day he past my daughter was the light of his life. He loved her more then he loved his kids or so it seemed, but then again he and my wife always had a special connection. So could he really be contacting my lil girl? Perhaps, I'm not saying he is but then again I do believe people that have past will make contact with those still alive.


#86    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

View Postthechiller, on 30 August 2010 - 04:54 AM, said:

Great article! This is something that my wife and I have been discussing for the past year or so. We are probably crazy but our 6yr old daughter says she sees and talks to my wifes dead granddad all the time. Nearly every morning she will just come out with something off the wall or in ref to something she should've been to young to remember and when asked where she got this from all she says is "granddaddy told me". She acts like its nothing and doesnt understand why my wife or myself doesnt see him. We've asked if she really does see and talk to him or is it just an imaginary friend type of deal. She swears that granddaddy comes to her normally every night or several times a week and talks to her. We've heard her in her room playing and she'll be talking away to him.
  Granddaddy past away 2yrs ago in July, which would have made my daughter 4. From the day she was born til the day he past my daughter was the light of his life. He loved her more then he loved his kids or so it seemed, but then again he and my wife always had a special connection. So could he really be contacting my lil girl? Perhaps, I'm not saying he is but then again I do believe people that have past will make contact with those still alive.

Well, they are only 6 years old. So, id you ask them if theyre "imaginary" theyd probably still say no. And since they were really close, its not too surprising that she still talks, or wants to talk to them.

the truth is out there....

#87    misteradam

misteradam

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2010

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

This is interesting to me.  I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but sometimes weird things happen.

My younger brother always claimed he saw a ghost in one room of the house growing up.  No one ever believed him, of course, but his terror of that bedroom was real.  I was lying on the floor in the bedroom one night on my stomach and felt an eerie sensation like two hands pressed on my back, not gripping my clothes just pressing palms against me.  That sort of creeped me out, until I was levitated into the air, flipped around in place until I was facing up, then dropped the foot or so back on to the ground just about knocking the wind out of me.  It stunned me for a few moments, my 11 year old mind couldn't comprehend what the hell just happened.  I vacated the room and refused to enter it again.  I believed him after that happened.

Now as time goes by, I have become skeptical of my own memories.  Maybe it was a very realistic dream?  I definitely think it is plausible that there are things around us all the time that we cannot see or hear or touch.


#88    dennisoc

dennisoc

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined:09 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam NY

  • It ends in Joy

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Children are more open. The ability to see fades from most of them for a variety of reasons. I'm inadvertantly partially responsible for my kids because I just don't see or hear them. I'm sure my kids are picking up on this . It must appear to them that I am purposely avoiding these people that they see and hear.

My wife is a renowned medium. She sees/talks to the dead every day.

Skeptics...save your fingers. You don't have to look far...just beyond your fear is your proof.

It ends in joy.
den


#89    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

View Postdennisoc, on 31 August 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

Children are more open. The ability to see fades from most of them for a variety of reasons. I'm inadvertantly partially responsible for my kids because I just don't see or hear them. I'm sure my kids are picking up on this . It must appear to them that I am purposely avoiding these people that they see and hear.

My wife is a renowned medium. She sees/talks to the dead every day.

Skeptics...save your fingers. You don't have to look far...just beyond your fear is your proof.

It ends in joy.
den

That doesnt make sense though, and has been addressed before. A person cant just Lose this biologically ability, magically, or by being told it isnt there. Thats not how it works though. Being open to something, doesnt mean your body makes you have it.

the truth is out there....

#90    rileycooper

rileycooper

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined:06 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Female

  • happiness is a choice

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

View PostJohn A Spera, on 21 August 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

Welcome to UM.

A true skeptic will have no trouble finding explanations for everything. I find it best to support their way of being as the true blessing that it is. We do live in a free choice culture where all points of view are acceptable to me.

On the other hand, my points of view are seldom considered valid by the true skeptic. You may discover that this will also true for you, especially if you are a sensitive where "the seeing doesn't go away".

My suggestion is, do not waste your energies trying to explain what another does not wish to understand. The sooner you can appreciate this the more fun you can have discussing these topics with members of mutual insight and interest.

John



What a wise and very  true statement John,  and   wonderful  advice too. Thank you I will be sure to always remember it xxx





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users