Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The children who really do see dead people

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#91    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

View Postdennisoc, on 31 August 2010 - 09:48 PM, said:

Children are more open. The ability to see fades from most of them for a variety of reasons. I'm inadvertantly partially responsible for my kids because I just don't see or hear them. I'm sure my kids are picking up on this . It must appear to them that I am purposely avoiding these people that they see and hear.

My wife is a renowned medium. She sees/talks to the dead every day.

Skeptics...save your fingers. You don't have to look far...just beyond your fear is your proof.

It ends in joy.
den
Be nice if someone proved it, instead of just talk about it.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#92    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 3,003 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

View PostThe Skeptic Eric Raven, on 01 September 2010 - 07:49 PM, said:

I agree with you.. but, there's not really proof of past experiences. Most told of dont last long, and people usually don't carry around cameras or something else from which to capture the prensence of spirits with.

#93    Shadesong

Shadesong

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

• What? Lead? No, no, no. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

View PostThe Skeptic Eric Raven, on 01 September 2010 - 07:49 PM, said:

Anything can be faked, given enough time and skill. I've seen photographs of supposed "ghosts" that looked absolutely genuine, and they turned out to be clever fakes. The opposite is true as well; I've cried "shopped!" on things that to this day remain unexplained. That, I think, is why the paranormal cannot be, and never will be, proven to society as a whole. There are too many variables to take into account when trying to decide what's "proof" and what's "unexplainable".

You really don't believe in these kinds of things until you experience something for yourself. I'm not talking about, say, something falling off of a shelf, a door opening "by itself", etc. I think that we sometimes let fear cloud our judgment, yes? At any rate, there are some things that, quite frankly, can't be explained away. Some, mind you. Not a lot, and not the crap Hollywood puts out. But I digress.

My point is that nothing anyone on this forum could say or do would convince a skeptic that the paranormal is real; I used to be one, so I know from experience. I wish that some type of definite proof would come to light, but you and I both know that it will never happen.

Now those Demon Clouds, mind you... those jokers scare me.  :lol:

がんばれ 日本!

Posted Image

#94    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

View PostAscadia, on 01 September 2010 - 09:27 PM, said:

My point is that nothing anyone on this forum could say or do would convince a skeptic that the paranormal is real; I used to be one, so I know from experience. I wish that some type of definite proof would come to light, but you and I both know that it will never happen.

Don't give up hope. I'm waiting for it too.

I'm the opposite of you; believer turned skeptic.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#95    Jewels1958

Jewels1958

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 26 August 2010 - 04:12 AM, said:

Yeah, thats not even the same. A mind set or opinion isnt a biological ability. So thats not it.
You cant changne your mind and make it appear or go.

You've never heard of the saying "use it or lose it"?  

Thats not relevant to anything here. A memory, mind set, opinion, is no special power. Sorry.

Who said anything about a "special power"?  My nose works better than Joe Schmoes' who sits next to me....does that mean I have a "special power"?  No it just means I have one sense that works slightly better than his.  And I do think it's remarkably easy to brainwash someone to believe something.  Just take a small child and all their life tell them they are worthless, keep it up all day long until they reach adulthood.  I will guarantee you that they WILL believe it and act accordingly.  To undo that damage takes years of work and may never be undone.  Kids are sponges and soak up whatever is around them.  If all they hear is that it's all in their head, it's not real, you're crazy if you believe it, then I very much believe they can block it out of their minds.   And then going back to the smelling, not everyone is born with the exact same abilities.  If we were, we would all be Olympic gold medalists.

Wow. Youre equating someone getting hit by a car and being killed, and you repressing that sad, dark and grusome memory to a parent saying "oh, imaginary friends arent real. Now lets go to soccer practice"???

You should never "assume".  My friend wasn't killed from the car accident.  It was a horrible experience and I remember the paramedics saying she shouldn't be alive, but she was.  And she didn't even loose any limbs.  My point is that we do not even know what our minds are capable of in the long run.

Theyre not remotely close.

My Portfolio - Writing.com
Sensible Survival
Heaven is a good book in your hand, a cat in your lap and a warm mug of cocoa.
Lissette - My gaming alter ego - MMO junky. :p

#96    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

Its tough to respond when you post like that.

View PostJewels1958, on 03 September 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

You've never heard of the saying "use it or lose it"?

I hope thats not your evidence here. A simple old Saying.
Still, i explained how it doesnt apply here, and isnt quite possible as our bodies dont work like that. Ive yet to see a biological ability disappear so quickly, and leave no biological evidence left behind of it, just because someone said its not real.

Who said anything about a "special power"? My nose works better than Joe Schmoes' who sits next to me....does that mean I have a "special power"? No it just means I have one sense that works slightly better than his. And I do think it's remarkably easy to brainwash someone to believe something. Just take a small child and all their life tell them they are worthless, keep it up all day long until they reach adulthood. I will guarantee you that they WILL believe it and act accordingly. To undo that damage takes years of work and may never be undone. Kids are sponges and soak up whatever is around them. If all they hear is that it's all in their head, it's not real, you're crazy if you believe it, then I very much believe they can block it out of their minds. And then going back to the smelling, not everyone is born with the exact same abilities. If we were, we would all be Olympic gold medalists.

Who said anything about your nose? Fact is though, if you made that claim, we could test it and prove it quite easily.
You can brainwash someone all you want, doesnt mean that their mindset forces their body to rid itself of some biological ability. Try willing away your sense of taste, its not gonna happen.
Ok, having a great sense of smell, and not being an athletic person arent even close. Stop making these far off comparisons.

You should never "assume". My friend wasn't killed from the car accident. It was a horrible experience and I remember the paramedics saying she shouldn't be alive, but she was. And she didn't even loose any limbs. My point is that we do not even know what our minds are capable of in the long run.

Meh, doesnt matter, the same thing applies. We know what our minds are capable of. You were just assuming your brain totally wiped it out because it was too traumatic for you. Youre still trying to compare a Memory of something being lost, to losing the sense of taste. Not even close.

Edited by Agent. Mulder, 03 September 2010 - 05:03 PM.

the truth is out there....

#97    Melamity

Melamity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

View PostThe Skeptic Eric Raven, on 20 June 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

No. Since logic dictates different. Especially when we are talking about the imaginations of kids.

My daughter has imaginary children. They are Mimi and Bella and they are 3 and 1 and half apparently. Who I am I to say they don't exist. She also has another mother from before.(Whatever that means)

I had the same argument with my parents ( about ghost not existing) when I was 6 and described to them various people and incidents. They didn't readily come around but when your children's imaginary friends have the same names and appearances as dead people they have never seen in there life time thats when you have to be a little concerned.

All I am saying listen to what's coming out of your child's mouth before you dismiss it as imagination. Although imagination is great for children and shows that they have a creative mind.

Edited by Melamity, 04 September 2010 - 05:43 AM.

#98    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

I had an imaginary friend, but I knew full and well there was noone there and I was making it up. Name was Skeeter.

I was a weird kid.

#99    Magnatron

Magnatron

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

it's generally believed that 7 year olds are more prone to see ghost than any others...
i think at that age their imaginations run wild!

#100    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

I think some people won't believe in the paranormal until it comes up and bites them in the *deleted* and maybe not even then, ha ha he he

Posted Image

#101    drpaxton

drpaxton

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

Agent.Mulder wrote:

...and isnt quite possible as our bodies dont work like that. Ive yet to see a biological ability disappear so quickly, and leave no biological evidence left behind of it, just because someone said its not real.

You seem to be basing your entire argument on the fact that this is a biological ability. You seem to repeat that when you get cornered. Obviously we are talking about more than biology here. How is it that you are so sure this ability does not exist but you are 100% convinced it is a biological ability and know how it would work if it were real?. That's a huge sign you may be bias. I am a skeptic too but lets not compare apples to oranges because we know apples yet have never experienced oranges.

#102    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I don't think children are more prone to being able to see ghosts...I think that is a widely based misconception even in the metaphysical community. I think that most assume children will see or have a better chance of seeing them more, and perhaps while they do say have a higher variable chance due to having more of an imagination and lets 'specific roles' soceity has placed on them at such a young age, I have seen again and again adults who on a regular basis and only once ever in their life see a ghost and who havent as a child.

It really depends on the situation. Obviously we cannot say that more adults or more children see ghosts more, because we simply do not have the global written data to support such conclusions; however, we also cannot say that children see ghosts more. I can say that in my own expierences, opinons and by viewing other expierences/opinons I have seen a wide variety of all ages see/hear 'sense' another spirtual being. Actuality age may not be as great as a factor as one thinks. One of many possible explinations.

Edited by puridalan, 04 September 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#103    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

View Postdrpaxton, on 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM, said:

You seem to be basing your entire argument on the fact that this is a biological ability. You seem to repeat that when you get cornered. Obviously we are talking about more than biology here. How is it that you are so sure this ability does not exist but you are 100% convinced it is a biological ability and know how it would work if it were real?. That's a huge sign you may be bias. I am a skeptic too but lets not compare apples to oranges because we know apples yet have never experienced oranges.

Well, its not me thats saying this. Its the people who are saying kids have it, then it goes away without use, and from them basically willing it away.
Im trrrrying to equate it to evolution (say with us, having less hair these days, teeth less sharp and some becoming useless from lack of use).
No bias here, im explaining it as it is. They are the ones bringing it into this area, and i am not cornered into anything. What are you referring to? Or are you just making it up?

the truth is out there....

#104    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

View Postdrpaxton, on 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM, said:

Agent.Mulder wrote:

You seem to be basing your entire argument on the fact that this is a biological ability. You seem to repeat that when you get cornered.

I don't think anyone's been cornered by random ideas and anecdotes.

#105    Loyoshi

Loyoshi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

I think alot of children that originally had it close it off because of fear or disbelief. Either they fear the things that they see or they will be talked into disbelieving by their parents. Getting punished every time they mention it, they will focus more and more on not seeing these things so they don't accidently spill their mouth.

If a bunch of people see a wolf in their neighbourhood, you will start believing it, because you know a wolf is real. If double that amount of people see a ghost in their neighbourhood, it's b******s because ghosts don't exist. I believe that just like there are people that have the ability to see more colours than normal people, there are also people that can see the paranormal, while others can't. It's hard to prove though, because you can keep a color sheet and create the lights and people can test and confirm their sightings. You can't just create or hold a ghost in a lab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users