Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can You "Flip Around" the Field

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Have any of you ever found that you could "flip around" the field of a sports event that you are watching on television, so that you are looking at it from "the other side"?  :o

What I mean is, let's say that you are watching football or soccer on television.

Normally you would perceive the "actual" placement of the field relative to yourself as being directly in front of you.

If you've ever been to the actual stadium or field though, you may have a different orientation that your mind sees it in, relative to yourself as you are watching the game now.

As you watch the game, can you "flip" from the various viewpoints, so that it is perceived that the field actually gets "flipped" around, and you are now seeing it as if from being on the "other side"?

I should mention that this occurs for me frequently, and it can take place just by thinking it, and the flip can end up in any one of four different orientations, all at 90 or 180 degrees relative to each other.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks. :)

btw this is related to the experience of VRIs that I've had:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=159285

and http://www.unexplain...showtopic=82537

#2    *Frank*

*Frank*

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

• Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but is it anything like the effect created in this optical illusion? It appears to be spinning one way but you can 'make' it spin the other way if you concentrate on it.

Illusion

It sounds sort of like what you described but I could be way off.

Posted Image

#3    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

View Post*Frank*, on 21 June 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but is it anything like the effect created in this optical illusion? It appears to be spinning one way but you can 'make' it spin the other way if you concentrate on it.

Illusion

It sounds sort of like what you described but I could be way off.
The spinning dancer illusion is a little similar in that the "flip" happens in an instant, and that the flip makes a directional change... the dancer instantly changes from spinning clockwise to spinning counter-clockwise, based on our own perceptual choice.

Where it differs is that the direction that you are viewing the dancer stays the same.

With the VRI flip mentioned in the original post, there is an instant flip to a new viewing direction involved.

Perhaps I can explain it this way...

Let's say you are looking at your TV screen towards the 'South', so you may think that the soccer field that you are looking at is also towards the 'South'.

Now the actual field viewpoint direction from the camera might be towards the 'North', which, if you were actually there at the field, would put you facing the opposite direction that you are facing your TV screen in, which is 180 degrees flipped around.

The question is, can you flip your perceived viewpoint of the field around so that you are facing towards the 'North', as it actually is?

You end up being able to "flip the field" around so that you end up seeing it from another direction, as if you were sitting on the other side of it, looking in the opposite direction.

#4    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

When  you flip it around in your mind, can you see things that were formerly hidden?  :w00t:

I can't flip directional perception, but I can erase things from view.

Embrace the impossible.

#5    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

View PostPurplos, on 21 June 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

When  you flip it around in your mind, can you see things that were formerly hidden?  :w00t:

Unfortunately not lol... everything still looks the exact same, except you're looking at it from another direction...

View PostPurplos, on 21 June 2010 - 04:50 PM, said:

I can't flip directional perception, but I can erase things from view.

That sounds interesting Purplos, can you explain it more clearly? How much and what can you erase, and how temporary is it?

#6    *Frank*

*Frank*

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

• Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

So it's more a sense of which direction is north (or east, south, west) that changes? That wouldn't work for me as I never know which way I'm facing anyway. But if the camera angle on the tv never changes how do you get the impression that you're looking at it from a different direction?

Posted Image

#7    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

View Post*Frank*, on 21 June 2010 - 05:11 PM, said:

So it's more a sense of which direction is north (or east, south, west) that changes? That wouldn't work for me as I never know which way I'm facing anyway. But if the camera angle on the tv never changes how do you get the impression that you're looking at it from a different direction?

It's a sense of directional bearings that does the "flip".

Take this picture of a necker cube:

Posted Image

How does one know that the cube "flips" if you're still looking at the same cube?

The red dot goes from "inside" to "outside" the cube but it's still the same thing you're looking at.

In a similar way, the flip happens with this picture of a field:

Posted Image

One can imagine that one is in the opposite corner looking the other way and there is a "flip" that takes place where you are looking at the same thing but it's from another direction...

Just picture yourself on the "other side" and it may "flip around" for you...

#8    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

The way you describe it is more of a state of mind than a "flip". You're still seeing the exact same field but "pretending" to see it from the opposite corner.

I get it what you mean and can do it too, but I don't think it's anything special or abnormal. I would imagine everyone could do it.

#9    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

View PostMoonie2012, on 21 June 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

The way you describe it is more of a state of mind than a "flip". You're still seeing the exact same field but "pretending" to see it from the opposite corner.

I get it what you mean and can do it too, but I don't think it's anything special or abnormal. I would imagine everyone could do it.
It's great to hear that you experience this too Moonie!

You're right about it being a "state of mind" because you have to use your mind to make the flip happen, just as you do to make the Necker Cube flip.

It's the control over one's directional perception of orientation that I'm very interested in.

The change can be a very subtle one though, so not everyone notices it happening.

Moonie, have you experienced this flip under any other circumstances, such as being "turned around" in your bearings and seeing everything all around you being "flipped around"?

Could you do "the flip" if you were actually at the field pictured above? :o

Edited by Hugh, 22 June 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#10    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,726 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

It's not that strange once you get around the illusion that you see with your eyes.

#11    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:22 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 22 June 2010 - 04:57 AM, said:

It's not that strange once you get around the illusion that you see with your eyes.
Well, the eyes are the place where the light energy is received, then our brain processes it to form a mental image in our brain of what we are seeing.

It's interesting that the image also has an orientational bearing, and that it can be flipped around by focusing on it.

Have you ever experienced that flip phenomenon aquatus?

Edited by Hugh, 22 June 2010 - 05:22 AM.

#12    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,726 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

You can experience it with any of your past memories.  As you noted, the eyes don't see; they just gather the data for the mind.  The mind then creates a three-dimensional image.  We tend to only think of it as single perspective, but when you look through your memories, you'll find they are every bit as "flippable".  What makes you different isn't that you can do it, but rather that you can do it so rapidly, with almost no lag time in the creation of a memory..

#13    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:04 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 22 June 2010 - 05:39 AM, said:

You can experience it with any of your past memories.  As you noted, the eyes don't see; they just gather the data for the mind.  The mind then creates a three-dimensional image.  We tend to only think of it as single perspective, but when you look through your memories, you'll find they are every bit as "flippable".  What makes you different isn't that you can do it, but rather that you can do it so rapidly, with almost no lag time in the creation of a memory..

For me, the memories that I have are accessible from only one of 4 different perspectives.

When I think of a past event, it is associated with a certain orientational viewpoint, the one that I was "in" at the time.

rm76 and I discussed this aspect in an earlier VRI thread here:

http://www.unexplain...dpost&p=3095485

Aquatus, have you ever experienced the VRI flip in real time, as it happens "around yourself"?

#14    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

View PostClick Click Boom, on 22 June 2010 - 06:51 AM, said:

lol, no. never tried.
Has it ever happened on its own?

Like say for example you come up from the subway and you start walking what you think is North, but then everything seems different than how you've normally seen it before...

Everything seems "turned around", and you realize your bearing sense has been "turned around" while in the subway.

It's what happens next is what I'm very interested in.

Your brain automatically flips everything back to your "normal" viewpoint... how you normally see everything.

Most of us just think "okay, now I know where I am", but think about the flip itself...

It's something that can happen "all around us", to our "whole world" or it can happen while watching a sports event on TV... the change is more subtle, but it exists... and I'm fascinated with it. :)

#15    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

View PostClick Click Boom, on 22 June 2010 - 07:05 AM, said:

Well, while watching my Huskers on TV and at Memorial Stadium I guess I have kinda seen a few plays from behind, especially this year. The most memorable one would be against Oklahoma I remember seeing Prince Amukamara's back, it wasn't even a notable play, I mean it was an incomplete pass. That was one time on tv...It's happened more there, but mostly at live events. For instance I went to Rockfest this year and remember seeing Alice Cooper from behind for just a split second........
Hmmm... I'm not sure that this is the same thing we're talking about...

With the flip I'm talking about, nothing actually is seen differently in the picture, like you don't see someone's back, then their front - before and after the flip...

If you're looking at their front, then the flip happens, you're still seeing their front, but it's from the direction that their back used to be seen in... relatively speaking...

Edited by Hugh, 22 June 2010 - 07:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users