Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11638 replies to this topic

#10996    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

As I said, every page of the OLB starts at the upper lefthand corner, so there is room for 3 letters or 2 letters and a space. So it could not be BIMIN, I think.

"AK MIN" means nothing else but "Also my". It doesn't have to show up elsewhere in the OLB, but it seems to be a normal combination of words.
Compare it to the word underneath EVEN of SCRIVEN. It only needs to fit 2 letters imo.

I can pick some words too that are not in the OLB and stick them in...

I think it would be more conductive to think it was a word already used in the OLB and part of the language as we can see it - not just make up a word or think it might be a word that is not even used throughout it.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#10997    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

BIMIN would probably be 'be/by my/mine' bimin

b 148 und häufiger, be, afries., Adv., Präp.: nhd. bei, nach, gemäß; ne. by,

By my forefathers...

That is very English - by mine forefathers blah blah

Edited by The Puzzler, 10 April 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#10998    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 10 April 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Compare it to the word underneath EVEN of SCRIVEN. It only needs to fit 2 letters imo.

I can pick some words too that are not in the OLB and stick them in...
I think it would be more conductive to think it was a word already used in the OLB and part of the language as we can see it - not just make up a word or think it might be a word that is not even used throughout it.

The word AK meaning "also" is a word that shows up in the OLB.

Now look at the screenshot of part of page 143:

Attached File  Page143_OLB.jpg   85.84K   10 downloads

...and you will see there is room for 3 letters or 2 letters + 1 space.

Edited by Abramelin, 10 April 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#10999    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 10 April 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

BIMIN would probably be 'be/by my/mine' bimin

b¬ 148 und hšufiger, be, afries., Adv., Pršp.: nhd. bei, nach, gemšŖ; ne. by,

By my forefathers...

That is very English - by mine forefathers blah blah

The 'blah blah' part is the important part, lol.

[...]min Íthla haevon in aefter thit bok skrÍven. Thit wil ik boppa ella dva, vmbe thaet er in min st‚t nÍn burch ovir is, hwÍrin tha bÍrtnesa vp skrÍven wrde lik to f‚ra.

[.?.]my forefathers have written this book in succession. I will do this, the more because there exists no longer in my state any citadel on which events are inscribed as used to be the case.

Now try to squeeze "by" or "BI" into that sentence.

Or try "AK" with a space, meaning "also my".

#11000    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

The word AK meaning "also" is a word that shows up in the OLB.

Now look at the screenshot of part of page 143:

Attachment Page143_OLB.jpg

...and you will see there is room for 3 letter or 2 letter + 1 space.
I think there is room for 2 letters or 3 also, yes. I think the word is most likely BIMIN and would make sense as well.

#11001    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 10 April 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

I think there is room for 2 letters or 3 also, yes. I think the word is most likely BIMIN and would make sense as well.

No, BIMIN doesn't. See my former post.

#11002    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

The 'blah blah' part is the important part, lol.

[...]min Íthla haevon in aefter thit bok skrÍven. Thit wil ik boppa ella dva, vmbe thaet er in min st‚t nÍn burch ovir is, hwÍrin tha bÍrtnesa vp skrÍven wrde lik to f‚ra.

[.?.]my forefathers have written this book in succession. I will do this, the more because there exists no longer in my state any citadel on which events are inscribed as used to be the case.

Now try to squeeze "by" or "BI" into that sentence.

Or try "AK" with a space, meaning "also my".

Bi mina jŁged was-t Űre
In my youth there was a portion of

It says BIMIN on the original, one word.

Dunno, have to think more tomorrow.

#11003    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 10 April 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Bi mina jŁged was-t Űre
In my youth there was a portion of

It says BIMIN on the original, one word.

Dunno, have to think more tomorrow.

Puzz, "BI MINA" does not fit into that sentence and space I posted. And it's not MINA, but MIN.

Knul's solution is better, "AK MIN".

What is your problem with that?

#11004    Knul

Knul

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Which chapter about the Juttar do you mean?

This one:

That stÍt vp alle burgum eskrÍven.
THIS STANDS INSCRIBED UPON ALL CITADELS.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#au

Or this one:

Nv wil ik vr Friso skriva.
NOW I WILL WRITE ABOUT FRISO.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#bt ?

I Noticed MS 149 N-AVATH in stead of NAVATH. This N- is repeated several times elsewhere in the context of JUTTAR, so it may refer to the pronunciation by the JUTTAR. I don't know anything about their language, but it might be related to Oldfrisian and Oldenglish as the JUTTAR obviously belong to the inner circle  - atha (allies) - of the Frisians, even more than the DENNEMARKAR (Danes).

#11005    Knul

Knul

Psychic Spy

• 1,045 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Puzz, "BI MINA" does not fit into that sentence and space I posted. And it's not MINA, but MIN.

Besides in 98% of the cases MIN is not preceded by a suffix like VNMIN in the OLB, nor in Koebler's dictionary, so I decided for two words, one two-letter-word + space, which leaves few possibilities like SA, THA or AK. AK fitted in the meaning of the sentence: MY PARENTS TOO HAVE WRITTEN..

Edited by Knul, 10 April 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#11006    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostKnul, on 10 April 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Besides in 98% of the cases MIN is not preceded by a suffix like VNMIN in the OLB, nor in Koebler's dictionary, so I decided for two words, one two-letter-word + space, which leaves few possibilities like SA, THA or AK. AK fitted in the meaning of the sentence: MY PARENTS TOO HAVE WRITTEN..

And all of those possible additions to the original sentence wouldn't change to meaning of the sentence as we know of.

#11007    Knul

Knul

Psychic Spy

• 1,045 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

AKEN

We discussed Aken before. The place does not lie at the Rhine river, but may be counted to the STREK (region). In connection to this it would be good to discuss the meaning of BONAR (MS 156 r. 32), which has been translated as murderer by Ottema, but this meaning I have not found in Oldfrisian. Could it mean the inhabitants of Bonn, which lies in the same area ? However Bonar is also connected with the Yra (Iranians).

#11008    Van Gorp

Van Gorp

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostKnul, on 09 April 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Did you explain the meaning of the word Kasamyr ? Or Kri-sen ? I mean not the Gorpian way, but linguistically.

Well, now you ask something too complicated for me :-)
But to mention: I for me, canít separate Becanus from linguistics and see no reason why to do so.
Traditional linguistic bickering gives hardly a real explanation for the meaning of the word(part)s.  

Summary from WIKI

Legacy
Christoffel Plantijn had been a friend of Goropius's and the Antwerp-based printing house known as the Plantin Press, which first published Goropius's works in 1569, printed the linguist-physicianís posthumous collected work in 1580 as a massive volume of more than a thousand pages. Goropius's work was met with a mixture of ridicule and admiration. Goropius is considered to have given Dutch linguistics, and Gothic philology in general, a bad name. Though Goropius had admirers (among them Abraham Ortelius and Richard Hakluyt), his etymologies have been considered "linguistic chauvinism," and Leibniz coined the term "goropism" to mean "absurd etymology." Justus Lipsius and Hugo Grotius discounted Goropius's linguistic theories. "Never have I read greater nonsense," the scholar Joseph Scaliger wrote of Goropius's etymologies.

However, Goropius's work precedes that of William Jones, the ďdiscovererĒ of the Indo-European language family, and though replete with eccentric and ridiculous etymologies, nevertheless can be considered a foundation for the field of historical linguistics.

Good if I say: what do classics(als degene die ze volgen) explain about the meaning of all the words?
Mostly Mythes :-) Like Scaligerís alledged background.  

Like you have Hindoís in Indi-(Žn), you have Inden in Europe and Indians like the Indianen.
And all are considerd living Ďiní.  This is not that absurd I think, just simple fact and deductable.
Voila, the Ingaeuones -> De In-Ga-Woon(en), living at the entrance of the in(terior)land.
ĎIndich-ení.  Indigineous. IndigŤne

For Rome there has been a very rich history before the Romans of Romulus.  
You mentionned it even some time before I think.  

Well, the name Rome is from Etrusc language (Scytisch or whatever we want to call the common wordgivings, just trace location names) and itís secret meaning not to mention since long, though well known.  But not from Romulus, and thatís where tradiotional etymologie rests their case in confusion.  Please donít ask me to go there :-)

Now we are talking about linguisitics: I find it fascinating that you have to gather in the word together.  
Tegaeder doen we het, om de kennis te ver-garen.  
If we come together om te vergaderen, the French call it ďguerreĒ.  
The Romans call them the Ger-mans.  
Scythes with the more soft Ďghí call him (g)her-man.  
Thatís why Krisna and Christ (pronounced ĎChrisí as from Ger-is, depending the tongue) are her-ders.  
They seek to keep together, to look after for the group.

Phrygia in Scito-Celtic is Phurige, like in Ďde veurige of veur-lesteí, be-fore.    
Also in location: lying before, first.  
You are in search for such explanations?  Or am I missing a story that explains better :-)

#11009    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

The word in the original text is BIMIN not bi mina (like the transliteration) - it easy fits, is already a word in the OLB and seems to work wordwise. What's your problem with that I could ask you.

#11010    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 10 April 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

And all of those possible additions to the original sentence wouldn't change to meaning of the sentence as we know of.
BIMIN is even in the same part as the missing ---MIN - about Konered. The writer of that part used this word. At page 100.44 - line 7 - BIMIN - not bi mina.

-------------------

By, according to, be, at, on

Any of those words can be what the BI means, including in, which is what has been translated into English.

b 148 und häufiger, be, afries., Adv., Präp.: nhd. bei, nach, gemäß; ne. by,
according to;

bi, Adv., Präp., bei; L.: Hh 8a, Rh 630a
bi-, afries., Präf.: nhd. be...; ne. be..., at (Pref.), on (Pref.);

Edited by The Puzzler, 11 April 2012 - 01:05 AM.