Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New tribe discovered in Papua New Guinea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,625 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

A tribe of hunter gatherers living in trees in the remote forests of Indonesia's easternmost Papua region has been discovered for the first time by the country's census, an official said on Thursday.

The nomadic tribe, called Koroway, numbers about 3,000 people speaking their own language and living off animals and plants in the forest, census officials found during the country's 2010 census survey.

"Their houses are in trees, their life is stone age," said Suntono, head of Indonesia's statistics agency for the Papua region, adding the tribe built ladders to huts in tall trees.

After receiving reports from missionaries, census officials needed to walk for up to two weeks to find the tribe, after travelling by boat from the nearest permanent villages, but still only reached the fringes of their territory.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Although I disagree with the "socialization" of indigenous tribes, I find it fascinating whenever a primitive tribe is discovered. I say let them be, nobody, except themselves, should decide whether to join the modern world or not.

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#3    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

why do i get the feeling some church in texas is booking flights there as we speak?

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#4    emberlake

emberlake

quinquagenarian

• 1,525 posts

• "Not all the folklore of fairies & nature-folks are Celtic, Sidhe, Disney or Bro Grimms." ~ ember

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for posting this story Still Waters, :D

Stories like this fascinate me.

This is why I like UM, I never know what new and interesting things I'll learn. :yes:

:)
"Why would you want to be normal? Normal is boring. Nobody remembers normal people." ~ Bracket
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fan of William Blanchard: His music makes my soul sing!
:)

#5    HansBolman

HansBolman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

they'll be wearing Power Ranger T shirts and smoking crack in no time. I hope they boil the missionaries in a pot (and Im a christian...).

#6    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,562 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

I fear one day, like in the novel 'Brave New World', these tribes will become a kind of freak show for urban dwellers, who pay for guided tours to visit these people and watch them like how we watch animals in a zoo. Maybe they will even be kept in enclosures like those in animal reserves.

Posted Image

#7    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,635 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

View PostH.H. Holmes, on 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

I say let them be, nobody, except themselves, should decide whether to join the modern world or not.

I couldn't agree more.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#8    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm gonna train them to be my army. They'll be known as the "Banana Hammocks".

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#9    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

One day, I hope Earth can be left as a permanent nature preserve, an homage and testament to our heritage on the Motherworld.  People like these would be the only people remaining on the Earth, in such a vision, all others having moved on to terraform new planets.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#10    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 29 June 2010 - 08:00 PM, said:

One day, I hope Earth can be left as a permanent nature preserve, an homage and testament to our heritage on the Motherworld.  People like these would be the only people remaining on the Earth, in such a vision, all others having moved on to terraform new planets.
:tu:
people like these work for their food and shelter
i like it
and the freedom  :tu:

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,150 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

Ahhhh.... A lost tribe of Swingers.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    swanks

swanks

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:12 AM

View PostAliveInDeath, on 29 June 2010 - 11:13 PM, said:

:tu:
people like these work for their food and shelter
i like it
and the freedom  :tu:

i work for my food and shelter, work me ass off really :w00t: :devil:

#13    xanthurion

xanthurion

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

next thing you know they will have national geographic or discovery channel people down there to do a 2 hour documentary on their life.

#14    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

There are more than 2,500 tribes in Papua and all have different languages, Suntono added

unbelievable , why is it on one small island can endup with so many languages?
even if they spend time walking around the island, I'm sure they will meet each other and create common language right?

#15    Samuronin

Samuronin

Most Valuable Player

• 3,048 posts

• "Be yourself. There is something that you can do better than any other. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. "

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Papua New Guinea is really an interesting place, so many new species of animals are being discovered there, and now a new tribe....fascinating island! :yes:

Posted Image
The Difference between the unattainable and the attainable lies in a person's determination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users