Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New tribe discovered in Papua New Guinea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#16    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

View Postkobolds, on 30 June 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

unbelievable , why is it on one small island can endup with so many languages?
even if they spend time walking around the island, I'm sure they will meet each other and create common language right?

My guess as to why they have so many different languages is that the myriad of tribes are separated by geological features or by dense jungle. This tribe has all that it needs to survive in a relatively small area, so traveling around might not have been a top priority.

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#17    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

View Postkobolds, on 30 June 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

unbelievable , why is it on one small island can endup with so many languages?
even if they spend time walking around the island, I'm sure they will meet each other and create common language right?

Not really, many people thier speak half a dozen languages or more.

The jungle/mountains seperates and prevents large scale movement of poeple and resouces over time and so there is comparativly little exchange, one "tribe" may live in a small valley 10 miles long and 6 wide, with the only way out at one end, and the nearest other tribe a 5 day walk away.

Each tribe is basicly self-sufficiant in its own region, so there is no real reason, barring marriage or warefare for them to go and meet other tribes, so a tribe might have thier own language, developed through hundreds or thousands of years of isolation and they might know one or two more relating to surrounding tribes but they dont meet or have the reason to meet more people and so there is no uniting language.

I read a book that stuidied papuan tribesmen (and women) and found that on average they had considerable higher average IQ's then westerners did.  He put this down to them needed thier brain more, many of them have to learn a large number of languages from a very young age, learn a vast array of skill to live in the jungle.  If your stupid, you die.  Simple really, in the Western world stupid people can survive fine, they have easy jobs to to, special schooling and so over time they pass on this "lower level of inteligence".

He also posutalted that in Papua your survival is far more closely related to your level on inteligence, in Western cities, hisotricly and now, to a lesser extent your survivival depended on luck and natural immunity to disieases due to the closely packed population.  So the ones who lived to pass on thier genes were those best suited to resisting ill health and notthose with the sharpest minds and best phisical condition.

Edited by Wyrdlight, 30 June 2010 - 10:00 AM.

#18    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,706 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

wonderful news.      i wish we could leave them alone... but i fear that greed ,and true ignorance, will interfere.. did someone mention gold!?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#19    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

View PostWyrdlight, on 30 June 2010 - 09:59 AM, said:

Not really, many people thier speak half a dozen languages or more.

The jungle/mountains seperates and prevents large scale movement of poeple and resouces over time and so there is comparativly little exchange, one "tribe" may live in a small valley 10 miles long and 6 wide, with the only way out at one end, and the nearest other tribe a 5 day walk away.

Each tribe is basicly self-sufficiant in its own region, so there is no real reason, barring marriage or warefare for them to go and meet other tribes, so a tribe might have thier own language, developed through hundreds or thousands of years of isolation and they might know one or two more relating to surrounding tribes but they dont meet or have the reason to meet more people and so there is no uniting language.

I read a book that stuidied papuan tribesmen (and women) and found that on average they had considerable higher average IQ's then westerners did.  He put this down to them needed thier brain more, many of them have to learn a large number of languages from a very young age, learn a vast array of skill to live in the jungle.  If your stupid, you die.  Simple really, in the Western world stupid people can survive fine, they have easy jobs to to, special schooling and so over time they pass on this "lower level of inteligence".

He also posutalted that in Papua your survival is far more closely related to your level on inteligence, in Western cities, hisotricly and now, to a lesser extent your survivival depended on luck and natural immunity to disieases due to the closely packed population.  So the ones who lived to pass on thier genes were those best suited to resisting ill health and notthose with the sharpest minds and best phisical condition.

Are you talking about "Guns, Germs, and Steel"?  Because he never proved they have higher IQs, it was his personal opinion.  Just thought I'd mention it.  Not that I necessarily disagree.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#20    Soniadora

Soniadora

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• “The supernatural is the natural not yet understood”-- Elbert Hubbard

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

View PostH.H. Holmes, on 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

Although I disagree with the "socialization" of indigenous tribes, I find it fascinating whenever a primitive tribe is discovered. I say let them be, nobody, except themselves, should decide whether to join the modern world or not.

Although I agree with your statement, I would still love to see research conducted on this tribe. Who knows what kind of great new things we can learn.

#21    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

They better not socialize them, I want to go live with one of the tribes (have have wanted to since I was a child) I want to do it after a frew more yrs once I get my med degree, I want to temporarly live out in a tribe for a few months..yes I do know the risks are high. At the same time I really want to reconnect with nature and I feel that is only the true way.

#22    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

View Postpuridalan, on 01 July 2010 - 11:45 PM, said:

They better not socialize them, I want to go live with one of the tribes (have have wanted to since I was a child) I want to do it after a frew more yrs once I get my med degree, I want to temporarly live out in a tribe for a few months..yes I do know the risks are high. At the same time I really want to reconnect with nature and I feel that is only the true way.
If you want to get closer to nature, you can do that even here in the US. However, if you want to live with them to learn from them, that will take a lot longer than a few months...as you'll have to learn their language first ^_^

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#23    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

Arch
Im already and have looked into lanaguages and whcih tribe specfically, and no I don't need to know their language a few basic things, but decent enough to get around, they can understand someone miming lol..they don't talk about politics and a lot of other crap..so I should catch on somewhat fast, for the fact I've studied other langauges as well. I will think around 6 months what I want to do, at least the first time, yes I want to do that because I want to learn from them ect..and you just can't get that here in the US..at least not what part Im in haha

#24    HansBolman

HansBolman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

i dont think they have very complex languages as they have little use for most of the words we use, i heard of a tribe that only had words for the numbers 1 to 3 as they never needed to communicate high numbers.

#25    Moonshine

Moonshine

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Kind of a shame they have been found, kind of makes me think that they will just come into the modern world, sure they may not have discovered it and possibly missing out. BUT! You can't miss what you haven't had /nods.
Kind of like the Americans and the Natives.

Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms
And the autumn moon is bright.

#26    kelunexplained

kelunexplained

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I wish people never bothered tribes and just let them be. They probably live happier than anyone else.

#27    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• 1,366 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

View Postpuridalan, on 02 July 2010 - 03:11 AM, said:

Arch
Im already and have looked into lanaguages and whcih tribe specfically, and no I don't need to know their language a few basic things, but decent enough to get around, they can understand someone miming lol..they don't talk about politics and a lot of other crap..so I should catch on somewhat fast, for the fact I've studied other langauges as well. I will think around 6 months what I want to do, at least the first time, yes I want to do that because I want to learn from them ect..and you just can't get that here in the US..at least not what part Im in haha

Which tribe are you going to learn from. If you don't have one in mind, I suggest the Pirahă. They have no religion or anything and yet they can see spirits and stuff. They are in touch to who they are.

Love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the ungrateful and to the evil. - Luke 6:35

#28    Halfwolf

Halfwolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

• The smallest of good deeds is greater than the best of intentions. Anonymous

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

I remember back in the 70's a Tribe was found in the Phillipines, they had never met anyone outside and even lived through WW2 without getting bombed. They kept them secret for some time as they didn't want to screw them up. But alas it was a hoax, a good one, they found them sometime later wearing t-shirts and smoking cigareetes with filters. I don't remember their name as this is from memory.
   I hope this isn't a hoax and I hope everyone leaves them alone.

#29    ali zeek

ali zeek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

View PostSamuronin, on 30 June 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

Papua New Guinea is really an interesting place, so many new species of animals are being discovered there, and now a new tribe....fascinating island! :yes:
Fascinating until some fool has to go poking around and carry infectious disease that the tribe will likely be wiped out from.

#30    Alladar

Alladar

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

• “Due to the lack of experienced trumpeters, the end of the world has been postponed for three weeks”

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

View Posta vampire wears my boxers, on 29 June 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

why do i get the feeling some church in texas is booking flights there as we speak?

That's Right! They need mobile phones, a bible, credit cards, drugs, sugar, vaccines,  processed food, and everything else the modern world can give them to be just like everyone else.

NOT!

Agreed, Leave them alone!

I wonder if this is the conversation aliens have when thinking about contacting us?

Alladar
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users