Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Smurl Demon

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    dancin'hamster

dancin'hamster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

• "When Good is hungry, it seeks food, even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters"

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

As a little follow-up to Burnys’ Amityville thread, I wondered if any of you had heard about ‘The Smurl Demon’?

It’s almost a carbon copy of the Amityville story, and there are several web-sites, a movie, and a book about the subject.

I bought the book some years ago in a wonderful second hand bookshop down in Poole – where I find most of my reference books. I am a bit lazy today so I have C&P’d this very brief summary of the story ...... Teddy is just gonna love this ~

‘The Smurl family consisted of father and mother Jack and Janet and their daughters Shannon, Carin, Dawn, and Heather the youngest. They lived in a half duplex owned by Jack's parents, John and Mary Smurl, They spent time and money in improving their home but despite the hardships the family was happy. But in January 1974 strange events began to occur - which turned into a nightmare.

A strange stain first appeared on a new carpet followed by Jack's television set bursting into flames. The house plumping would break down while the bathroom had strange scratched marks found it as though made by some wild animal. The phenomena within the house began to become more disturbing when their oldest daughter Dawn repeatedly saw people flying around her bed in 1975. The Smurls believed their house was haunted as the events in 1977 became worse. Strange noises became frequent, objects began to move on their own, the rooms would be filled with a vile smell and Jack was repeatedly touched by an unseen force. Soon the Smurl family increased by with the birth of the/ twins Carin and Shannon.

In 1985 the events happing within the household became terrifying as the family became victims of an unseen entity. John and Mary would hear the voices of their son and daughter in law arguing with each although they were not talking or even home. Janet would hear a voice in the house calling to her but she would find herself alone after search for the unseen caller. The Smurl women would witness a human shape shadow appear and pass through the walls. At night there was no peace and at times Jack and Janet would find themselves levitating. There was an incident where Janet was violently pulled off the bed while Jack lay paralysed, gagging from a foul odour. Even the family's German shepherd, Simon, was not spared from being repeatedly picked up and thrown. The neighbours too experienced the strange phenomena, and several heard screams and strange noises coming from the house when the no one was home.
In January 1986, Janet called Ed and Lorraine Warren …’

blink.gif

Whoa………..hold it right there! Ed & Lorraine Warren?? Well then……how about that? There goes my Bullshit-O-Meter again….

‘….. who agreed to come to the home, accompanied by Rosemary Frueh, a nurse and psychic. They began the investigation by looking into Smurls religious beliefs, the happiness of their family life, and history. The Warrens and Frueh in walking through the house, identified the haunting to be caused by 3 evil spirits a demon. The demon was not summoned but believed to have been dormant, for decades, and had arisen to draw on the emotional energy generated by the girls.

The Warrens tried to expel the demon through exorcism but it retaliated. First Jack was raped by a scaly succubus posing as an old woman with a young body. Ed Warren was attacked and then suffered from terrible flu-like symptoms…’

Flu symptoms? He apparently suffered these flu-like symptoms in Amityville too….

‘..Janet was sexually assaulted by an incubus. The Smurls did not get any help from their local church, instead the Warrens brought in a priest they knew to perform an exorcism, which only angered the demon further. The haunting continued to get worse as their daughter, Dawn, was found to almost been raped by the entity. Janet and Mary were continuously attacked by something leaving claw and bite marks on their arms.

The priest returned and performed a second exorcism that also did not work. The demon even accompanied the family on trips and harassed Jack at work. The family knew the demon would just follow them wherever they went. The Smurls decided to appear on television, anonymous, in hope to get help and put pressure on the church to perform the exorcism. The demon retaliated by attacking John and Janet. In August 1986, the Smurls took the risk and to tell their story to a wider audience in interview published in the Wilkes-Barre Sunday Independent newspaper. Their home became a tourist attraction for the press, sceptics and paranormal investigators.
There were no disturbances for about 3 months until Christmas 1986, when Jack again saw the black form, beckoning him. He prayed this was simply an isolated incident but the haunting continued and the Smurls in desperation moved to another town. The events that occurred soon found their way in a book called "The Haunted." The church finally gave in to performed a fourth exorcism in 1988 and to this day the family has not been haunted.’

So, what exactly happened in that house?
No one else has reported any hauntings or any strange ‘paranormal’ occurances.

Did the family see The Amtiyville Horror and decide to make a quick buck from a media frenzy?
After-all, the whole world had gone Amityville mad.

Or did they really experience a real demonic infestation?

Personally I believe they had a few minor poltergeist experiences, and the rest was hysteria, and hoax. I’m not the only one who feels this way. Many investigators who visited the house reported nothing at all.  Take a look at this ~

‘One such explanation Kurtz describes is the possibility of teenage pranks.  Kurtz  found that 17-year-old Dawn Smurl gave many different  accounts of her experiences. It was also discovered that many of  the  rapping  noises seemed to emanate from walls that were adjacent  to  Dawn's  bedroom.  "Historically",  Kurtz writes, "teenagers have  been  involved in poltergeist cases .... and I wondered whether Dawn  ....  could  be  responsible  for  the rappings." He notes that Dawn's  statements  fit  the  pattern of a teenager playing tricks to get attention.

Kurtz  also  details  possible  psychological  and physiological disorders  that  might  be  affecting members of the Smurl family. It was learned  that Jack Smurl had had brain surgery three years prior to  the  "haunting"  to  relieve water on the brain. Kurtz questioned whether  this procedure could be affecting Mr. Smurl's present behaviour especially in light of Smurl's claim that he had on several occasions been raped by a demon.

It was also suggested by Allentown, Pennsylvania, psychologist Robert  Gordon  that the family may have been suffering from hysteria similar  to  that  prevalent  during  the Salem witch trials. He said that a  shared  tension might cause mass hysteria, with shared symptoms, that could involve delusions or hallucinations.

Kurtz requested the Smurl family to submit to a thorough psychological and physiological examination. The Smurls declined. Kurtz  reports  conversations  with  neighbours who revealed that they  had  been complaining to village officials for years about foul odours  emanating  from  an inadequate sewer pope near the Smurl home. Neighbours  also  told  of  sporadic settling occurring throughout the area  due  to the layers of mine veins that honeycomb the earth below the  town.  It was noted that the Smurl home had been settling badly, and  Kurtz  questioned  whether  this  could  be  responsible for the strange noises.

Finally, Kurtz  outlined  the possibility of a financial motive behind  the reported haunting. It was learned that within days of the story  breaking  in the national media, Jack Smurl was seen negotiating  with  the  Star  Group, a Hollywood production company headed by Scranton  businessman  Ralph  Loma.  Although Smurl reportedly denied that  negotiations had taken place, Loma confirmed he had been trying to  obtain  exclusive rights to the story and said,” We haven't signed anything  yet,  but we hope to. It's going to make helluva movie when its finally made."

In November, St. Martin's Press announced that it had signed a book contract with  the  Smurls.  A hard-cover edition on the West Pittston haunting will  be published first, followed sometime later by a paperback.

Kurtz also  notes  that the Smurls have since released a statement  saying  that  the  demons  have now left their home. Said Janet Smurl,  "It's like  a different home now. We are not afraid to go to sleep at night."

"The  fact  that  the  Smurls have signed a book contract raises
     serious  questions about their motives," wrote Kurtz. "No doubt, how-
     ever,  a  large  segment  of  the public and of the media is far more
     fascinated  by  demons  and ghosts than the possibility of a prank or
     hoax."

So…….true or false????

*pulls on Super Sceptic Hat for Girls*

grin2.gif

Hammy x x x

#2    Hammys Teddy

Hammys Teddy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 249 posts

• But you told me to 'paint the town red'. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

False :-D

Have seen the movie, i thought it was nonsense then and ithink its nonsense now.,...

Teddy. xxx

Avatar designed by 'thisfallendrummer' modified by 'UniversalAbsurdity'

#3    catsrule52

catsrule52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• Zap

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

wow Im not reading all that....

#4    dancin'hamster

dancin'hamster

Psychic Spy

• 1,800 posts

• "When Good is hungry, it seeks food, even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters"

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (catsrule52 @ Jul 11 2004, 02:32 PM)

dontgetit.gif

oh thanks.........nice to know my efforts are appreciated.........

#5    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:34 PM

Just wanted to post, WHAT THE HELL is the point in posting 'i'm not reading that'?? If you're not gonna bother reading it, DON'T POST!! Christ.

Gimme a moment while i read through it. grin2.gif

#6    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Alright, it sounded a little credible at first, some of the events do sound a little overly hyped up and, well, edited. Then come the Warrens.. oh dear, lost credibility. The fact that the family seems to have some serious psych problems doesn't help, and it does sound alot like acts hoaxed for attention, media fame and of course, the riches that would come shortly after.

My guess is it is an Amity-Clone, and definately not real.

#7    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:35 PM

Don't worry about the Ritalin crowd Dancin' Hamster, we appreciate you! thumbsup.gif
The combination of the Warrens' and a book and movie deal kind of ruined the possibility of it being real for me...
People who have really suffered tend to want to leave their bad experiences behind, not have them endlessly brought up by the media. I think we're dealing with the usual Ed and Lorraine money-making sideshow here...

#8    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• I've never thought that I'd have more Captain America plashes then my two year old Nephew. :P

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

Creepy story! scared.gif I don't believe that demon or a ghost could physically hurt you.
Cute moving avatar Dancin Hamster!  thumbsup.gif  

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#9    Rakshasas

Rakshasas

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• Wicked Witch

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:04 PM

It does seem to be very embellished

Live well...laugh often..love much

#10    dancin'hamster

dancin'hamster

Psychic Spy

• 1,800 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

Oh poop ..............  sad.gif

I found a site that listed all the things the Smurls said which could be proven wrong.....and I thought I book-makred it......and now I cant find it.......

Pffffffffffttttttttttttttt................

Hammy x x x

Oh, and many thanks to everyone who read this - it was a biggie I know  wacko.gif  

#11    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (catsrule52 @ Jul 11 2004, 02:32 PM)

Wow, thanks for your insightful post.

Please, tell us why you felt it neccessary to even post that?  It obviously had no reason other then to insult Hammy.

*hugs Hammy*

I'm calling false too.  way to "OMGS! We can make money like Amittyville too!!*  bandwagon.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#12    jennasweet

jennasweet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:04 AM

[SIZE=7]I was told  about this site through the grapevine I guess you would say out of couriosity so I looked you up. One of the smurls (I wish not to mention names out of respect to them so I will refer to them ""'' in this post)) has became an addition (through marriage)  to our family about 6yrs ago.  when I met '''' I have to say, I was very curious as anyone else would be. Over this past 6yrs I have gotten to know '''' and the Smurl family very well. The Smurl familly is a regular family like any other. They are kind and loving. They all have faith in God. I have become veryclose to our new family member. I can't beilieve in anyway that '''' could ever be part of any kind of hoax of any of kind. Not one person in my family feels as though that the Smurls had a case of "mass hullusination". I'm not a nieve person and am a skeptic when it comes to the super natural and I whole heartedlly give this family the benifit of the doubt. I just find that this family has gotten a raw deal. I understand all of your critisism against the family's claims because I was one of you before I met this family. The person I'm refering to mostly """" is a wonderful kind person, funny, easy to get a long with and a wonderful mother. I just couldn't emphisize enough. I would also like everyone to know the fact's of the book and movie. Yes, they wrote a book and had a movie about what happened to them but what ppl don't know is the money from  the book and movie went to the church and other charities. The Smurls live in a normal average middle class home and have no extravigant belongings. They all work for a living and struggle like everyone else to get along in life. No differn't from you or I. If they did keep the money, they sure do one of a hell of a job hiding it. I've seen the Amittyville horror and other so called "true" accounts of the paramormal and really never cared either way  if they were true or not, it's just entertainment to me. (Horror is my favorite kind of film) I do however, believe that this family has been through some scary stuff and to spite it they are still standing strong and hold no grudges  against ppl that don't believe their story. I don't mean to have rambled on as I have but I just wanted to state some fact's that most ppl don't know about the family. You can believe them or not, that's your right, I however believe and respect their family.

#13    selmateacher

selmateacher

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:11 AM

I think that it is just drama-

My WebpagePosted Image
John 14: 1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come
again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

#14    IdahoGhostHunter

IdahoGhostHunter

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:08 AM

I still wholeheartedly believe in the Amityville and the Smurl cases, and admire Ed and Lorainne for all the help they give people....free of charge of course...kudos to Jenna for sticking up for the Smurls  thumbsup.gif

Posted Image

#15    fairuza

fairuza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:30 AM

I live about 10 minutes away from west pittston and I lived there when all of that sh** was going on I was only a couple of years old but my sister was 17.. my sister went to school with dawn and her father was my sisters soft ball coach..when all of this was going on dawn told my sister that she had a dream my sister was in a car accident..less than a week later my sister totalled her car.  My uncle was a member of the west pittston police department at the time also and he was always down on chase street.  He said he always had a bad feeling about the place.  Many neighbors also reported hearing things coming from the house when no one was home.  I believe it's real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users