Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Greeks to Gas 15,000 Dogs Before Olympics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

EXPERTS fear up to 15,000 stray dogs will be poisoned before next month's Athens Olympics so the city looks "pristine".

Authorities in the Greek capital fear the sight of packs roaming the streets will damage the country's bid to show it is modern and civilised, the RSPCA said yesterday.

Greek animal welfare groups say slaughter of the city's estimated 15,000 strays has started. Eighty dogs have been found dead in Saronida, a coastal resort where members of the British team are expected to stay.

One animal welfare activist said: "There's been a big increase in poisonings and we expect it to rise sharply."

David Bowles of RSPCA International has been helping to train Greek officials to catch and treat strays humanely.

He said: "We're seriously concerned thousands of dogs will be poisoned so Greece can show Athens is a pristine, modern city. It would be barbaric and would solve nothing."

He added: "A lot of the local authorities don't know how to treat dogs humanely."

Another senior RSPCA official added: "If the Greeks continue to poison dogs they can't consider themselves civilised."

The authorities insist there will be no mass poisoning but Athens' few dog shelters are already crowded.

Greece has little tradition of caring for strays.

Poisoning animals is a crime there but it is the usual method of keeping numbers down and is used unofficially by some local councils.

A spokesman for the Greek Embassy in London said animal welfare was taken seriously in Greece. "Measures have been taken to improve standards."

Article

crying.gif  

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:21 AM

This olympics should be quite interesting...

user posted image

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#3    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:00 AM

Maybe instead me should gas 15,000 state officials who're backing this move as a warning to others who murder innocents  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#4    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:08 AM

Joy, that's EXACTLY how to make the place seem more civilized. f*** off. ARRGH GOD i hate this stupid planet.

'Hmmm. The city doesn't look modern and civilized enough, we may look silly to the people of the world who are watching the Olympics'.

'Hey, here's an idea, lets kill all the stray dogs. That way we'll be civilized, even though no one watching from home is probably going to see a dog anyway, but who cares, i've been meaning to have a little fun!'

'Righto!'

#5    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:11 AM

Why in the world do they think they need to look modern? Their main attraction as a city is the fact that they have 3,000 year old ruins. This move is just cruel and senseless to me...

#6    Pandora

Pandora

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:11 AM

Yeah, their country is going to look real pristine with all the blood on their hands.  I was going to watch the Olympics but I'm not anymore.

#7    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, their country is going to look real pristine with all the blood on their hands. I was going to watch the Olympics but I'm not anymore.

when the USA wins their first gold medal. ie. the first 15min of the olympics then i'll bet you'll be watching.

Everyone is going to watch it regardless no matter what they did, like how everyone watched the war in Iraq. It's all about patriotism and to see who's winning thumbsup.gif  

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#8    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:12 AM

Maybe instead of murdering innocent animals who deserve to live far more than these people they should be concentrating on actually getting the facilities for the olympics completed. They wont just be a laughing stock if they dont get it completed but a despised country for what they have done to these animals. disgust.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users