Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

mapping Caribbean using -300' sea level

Polara

Haven't found this addressed anywhere, so here's my first post anywhere online. I'm trying to source mapping which allows modified sea levels [as in 300 feet or less lower than today], as would have been the case several thousand years ago. Forget the deep ocean! No particular objective yet, but it seems that those shorelines must be where archaeologists should search for evidence...and it would also show possible linking and/or travel between areas. For now, just hoping to find a website that would permit crude mapping utilizing hypothetical sea levels. I'm starting with the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, since there are so many interesting apparent underwater features being located by satellite. Would expect some obvious interrelational possibilities between them to reveal themselves.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Riaan

• DieChecker

• Polara

Haven't found this addressed anywhere, so here's my first post anywhere online. I'm trying to source mapping which allows modified sea levels [as in 300 feet or less lower than today], as would have been the case several thousand years ago. Forget the deep ocean! No particular objective yet, but it seems that those shorelines must be where archaeologists should search for evidence...and it would also show possible linking and/or travel between areas. For now, just hoping to find a website that would permit crude mapping utilizing hypothetical sea levels. I'm starting with the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, since there are so many interesting apparent underwater features being located by satellite. Would expect some obvious interrelational possibilities between them to reveal themselves.

Cant remember when, but the BBC ran a documentary covering this exact subject just a year or two ago. I remember the graphics were truly amazing, exposing the landbridges as they existed millenia ago. I would recommend a search on the BBC archives online.

Cant remember when, but the BBC ran a documentary covering this exact subject just a year or two ago. I remember the graphics were truly amazing, exposing the landbridges as they existed millenia ago. I would recommend a search on the BBC archives online.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it! At the very least, this project should keep me out of trouble for some time. But the concept may eventually reveal a wealth of "pre-history". Looking forward to hearing from inquiring minds!

I attempted to do more or less the same here, in order to prove Hapgood's Ancient Sea Kings theory. Hope you find it useful.

I don't know what the sea level is in the next image, but it looks nice:

Caribbean_Florida.jpg

I've read that the sea level was down as low as 130m, about 425 feet around 20,000 years ago at the glacial maximum of the last Ice Age, but for about the last 8000 it has been within about 10 meters of current levels.

During the most recent ice age (at its maximum about 20,000 years ago) the world's sea level was about 130 m lower than today, due to the large amount of sea water that had evaporated and been deposited as snow and ice, mostly in the Laurentide ice sheet. The majority of this had melted by about 10,000 years ago

Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

To have a lost city at 300 feet below sea level you would have to have the city built before 14,000 years ago. Not impossible, but not really that likely either.

Here is an interesting site that showed up in my googling around.

http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet/

Here is an interesting site that showed up in my googling around.

http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet/

Yes, I wanted to post a link to that site too, but the units they use - km=kilometers - is wrong.

But if you read 'meter' for every time you read 'km' (kilometer), then it's ok.

I should perhaps add the image below. Today only the island group at E is above sea level, while Mercator's map clearly shows various islands that are now submerged. It is not really possible to tell from the sources I have (Microsoft Encarta Interactive World Atlas / NASA topography / bathymetry maps of the world) just how deep below sea level these islands are at present. Depending on the actual depth of these islands, it may be the clearest indication that a sea faring people existed long before recorded history.

1.62a-Brazilian-Islands-Mercator-Encarta-NASA-Bathymetry.jpg

I don't know, but maybe the OP is about what was found several years ago deep down below, off the coast of Cuba??

Those socalled structures no one ever again could trace (or no one tried again, I dont know) were half a mile down.

Half a mile down??

Just imagine what that means...

Edited by Abramelin

I don't know, but maybe the OP is about what was found several years ago deep down below, off the coast of Cuba??

Those socalled structures no one ever again could trace (or no one tried again, I dont know) were half a mile down.

Half a mile down??

Just imagine what that means...

Some more examples of sunken islands

Figure-1.28-Schoner-Islands-Overlay.jpg

Figure-1.25-Compare-Jagiellonian-Drawing.jpg

Yes, I wanted to post a link to that site too, but the units they use - km=kilometers - is wrong.

But if you read 'meter' for every time you read 'km' (kilometer), then it's ok.

Actually it is in meters. The km part is only for the color graph that is related to the elevation colors on the maps.