Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Glaciers on Mount Everest are shrinking

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,350 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 24 July 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

This sea level rise, 20ft. is this from melting sea ice?

Do you think we are stupid ?

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#32    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,906 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 24 July 2010 - 08:11 PM, said:

Do you think we are stupid ?

Br Cornelius

You YES, others NO.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#33    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,350 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 25 July 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

You YES, others NO.

Can I ask on what basis you make that assertion, otherwise its just an ungrounded insult which is not allowed.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#34    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 21 July 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

Since the averaged mean temperature has warmed over the last 100yrs for the planet as a whole - then it is accurate to describe it as Global Warming.
Since this causes a range of local climate effects it is accurate to describe the situation as Climate Change.

These statements are not contradictory, and the scientists have been using both terms in their appropriate context since the early days of research into recent man made climate shifts. I see no need to qualify my statement regarding climate change causing both glacial retreat and glacial expansion since it is the correct use of the term to descibe the local climate effects caused by Global Warming.

Br Cornelius

i think you're missing my point. i would have no problem with these changes being labeled 'global warming' or 'climate change' if they were merely describing what is happening - there is obviously no arguing this - but they are not being used in that context, instead, they are being used with the foreknowledge that the terms will be interpreted as 'the theory of man made global warming' 'the theory of man made climate change'.

the proper terms to use would be, 'warming of the globe' or 'changing of the climate'. both explain exactly what is happening without so obviously trying to promote the agenda that man is responsible for the changes.

that was my point.

#35    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,350 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 28 July 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

i think you're missing my point. i would have no problem with these changes being labeled 'global warming' or 'climate change' if they were merely describing what is happening - there is obviously no arguing this - but they are not being used in that context, instead, they are being used with the foreknowledge that the terms will be interpreted as 'the theory of man made global warming' 'the theory of man made climate change'.

the proper terms to use would be, 'warming of the globe' or 'changing of the climate'. both explain exactly what is happening without so obviously trying to promote the agenda that man is responsible for the changes.

that was my point.

That is certainly not the tone of what you said;

i still chuckle at the fact they had to substitute global warming for climate change. suppose they needed something to combat all that nasty cold weather, messing up their grants. brrrr.  

The conclusion I feel you were trying to draw was that the name changed to conceal certain facts.

In this context the use of the terms "Climate change" and"Global Warming" are indeed well understood to refer to AGW, and therefore in this context we all know what is been talked about. If the article wanted to suggest that this was natural variation it would have specifically pointed this out and hence modified the meaning of the terms, it did not so it meant AGW.

You seem to be  looking for controversy where none is.

Robert Anton Wilson

#36    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

well thanks for selectively quoting me in the post above so not to include the bold -

View Postexpandmymind, on 21 July 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

i think you meant to say 'due to the climate of the region changing' (it would have been more accurate). to attribute it to 'climate change' is completely different and would be quite an assumption.

i still chuckle at the fact they had to substitute global warming for climate change. suppose they needed something to combat all that nasty cold weather, messing up their grants. brrrr.

the bold, which quite clearly shows that you've fudged up, is basically what i've tried to explain to you in post #34. so it was definitely in keeping with the 'tone' of the discussion.

the 'chuckle' part was clearly the afterthought. did you honestly expect me not to notice that you excluded that part of my post when you quoted it? really? nice attempt to divert the topic away from the very valid point i made.

Edited by expandmymind, 28 July 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#37    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,350 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

I am really finding it impossible to follow the semantic hoops you are jumping through, I made a quote of the bit that had meaning - the other seemed like blatant word play to me. Sorry if I took you up wrong.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#38    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

my whole point was to address 'blatant wordplay'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users