Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Serious flaws' in Iraq intelligence

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

Key intelligence used to justify war with Iraq has now been shown to be unreliable, the Butler Report says.
The 196 page report says MI6 did not check its sources well enough, and sometimes relied on third hand reports.

Bbc news

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#2    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:52 PM

Another cosy report finding, but even that can't hide that Blair's government deliberately exaggerated the intelligence they were receiving.

And technically speaking, deliberate exaggeration is lying.

The article says:
Mr Blair said he took "full responsibility" for any mistakes made, saying that they were in "good faith".

Another fib.  Mr Blair never takes full responsibility for his actions.

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#3    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:09 AM

Exaggeration or not...Saddam is gone and we are winning the war on terror.  Isn't that a good thing? rolleyes.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#4    Tess

Tess

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:52 AM

Joc,exactly what makes you think we are winning the war on terror?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
~Ambrose Bierce~

#5    stillcrazy

stillcrazy

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

I have to agree with Tess, what makes you think we are winning the war, when we are still losing the battles in Iraq.  IE more people have died from terrorist bombings and attacks since bush declared the war over, than died during the official war.

Spain was another good example. terrorist helped decide an election there. Now the Homeland security folks are looking into the possibility of suspending elections here if the same thing happens. Who winning what?

#6    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:06 AM

The world is not a safe or good place at the moment and it doesn`t look like getting any better. crying.gif  

Edited by AztecInca, 15 July 2004 - 09:09 AM.

#7    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:07 AM

The serious flaws I can see are those in bush and blairs minds.Hope bush doesn`t decide to go and implement that executive order and become a dictator otherwiae not only are people in america in trouble but the rest of us may wnat to watch our backs.

And I have to got to say that I think that "we" are losing the war on terror and the world is far less safe and secure than before Iraq was invaded. There seem to be far more extremists and terrorists than before the war in Iraq. sad.gif  

#8    Tess

Tess

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

I agree with you 100% AztecInca......
I personally believe this "war" on terrorism is no different than taping a piece of paper on a wall at the mall that says "DO NOT WRITE ON THIS"......(if you don't understand my point,try taping a piece of paper on a mall wall that says that and see what happens)

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
~Ambrose Bierce~

#9    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:48 AM

490. There has been significant controversy surrounding the reliability of Government statements about Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa. We have therefore studied this issue in detail.

493. In early 1999, Iraqi officials visited a number of African countries, including Niger. The visit was detected by intelligence, and some details were subsequently confirmed by Iraq. The purpose of the visit was not immediately known. But uranium ore accounts for almost three-quarters of Nigerís exports. Putting this together with past Iraqi purchases of uranium ore from Niger, the limitations faced by the Iraq regime on access to indigenous uranium ore and other evidence of Iraq seeking to restart its nuclear programme, the JIC judged that Iraqi purchase of uranium ore could have been the subject of discussions and noted in an assessment in December 2000 that:

. . . unconfirmed intelligence indicates Iraqi interest in acquiring uranium. [JIC, 1 December 2000]

494. There was further and separate intelligence that in 1999 the Iraqi regime had also made inquiries about the purchase of uranium ore in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In this case, there was some evidence that by 2002 an agreement for a sale had been reached.

495. During 2002, the UK received further intelligence from additional sources which identified the purpose of the visit to Niger as having been to negotiate the purchase of uranium ore, though there was disagreement as to whether a sale had been agreed and uranium shipped.

497. In preparing the dossier, the UK consulted the US. The CIA advised caution about any suggestion that Iraq had succeeded in acquiring uranium from Africa, but agreed that there was evidence that it had been sought.

498. The range of evidence described above underlay the relevant passage in the Prime Ministerís statement in the House of Commons on 24 September 2002 that: In addition, we know that Saddam has been trying to buy significant quantities of uranium from Africa,although we do not know whether he has been successful.

499. We conclude that, on the basis of the intelligence assessments at the time, covering both Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statements on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa in the Governmentís dossier, and by the Prime Minister in the House of Commons, were well-founded.

By extension, we conclude also that the statement in President Bushís State of the Union Address of 28 January 2003 that: The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa, was well-founded.

Butler Report

#10    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

Kell, lets watch this topic sink into oblivion, just like the Uranium/Radioactive material one i posted:)

#11    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=AztecInca,Jul 15 2004, 10:07 AM] The serious flaws I can see are those in bush and blairs minds.Hope bush doesn`t decide to go and implement that executive order and become a dictator otherwiae not only are people in america in trouble but the rest of us may wnat to watch our backs.

Some people are already watching there backs. grin2.gif

Edited by Student&Alive, 16 July 2004 - 04:02 PM.

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#12    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (bathory @ Jul 16 2004, 12:27 AM)
Kell, lets watch this topic sink into oblivion, just like the Uranium/Radioactive material one i posted:)

So true. *sigh*

rolleyes.gif  

#13    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

Well the wmd's have made a good job off "sinking into Oblivion".

Of course theres none there.

We may have supplied them 20years ago, but remember, we allowed him to use them against the Iranians and his own people, how can we expect there to be any left.

lol.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#14    KindredSpirt4125

KindredSpirt4125

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (joc @ Jul 15 2004, 04:09 AM)
Exaggeration or not...Saddam is gone and we are winning the war on terror.  Isn't that a good thing? rolleyes.gif

I agree!  I think we should get out of Iraq however.  I mean, they don't want us there, so why be there anyways.  Let them starve or destroy themselves.  But the war on Terror is a good thing in General.  I think we should focus on Al-Queda though.  I mean they are who implimented 9-11, and they should pay.  Just let Iraq rot, and go to Afganistan to find Osama and his crew.

#15    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (crystal3rose @ Jul 16 2004, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (joc @ Jul 15 2004, 04:09 AM)
Exaggeration or not...Saddam is gone and we are winning the war on terror.  Isn't that a good thing? rolleyes.gif

I agree!  I think we should get out of Iraq however.  I mean, they don't want us there, so why be there anyways.

Wrong! The majority of Iraqis do want us there. They know what will happen if we leave...  rolleyes.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users