Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Heat brings out the cool in zoos

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    Andromedan StarSeed

Andromedan StarSeed

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

• Technician of the sacred

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

Here's  the  bit of  the  news  about  the heat brings out  the  cool in zoo's across the nations  it  seems  heat  waves  are  hitting  other places  as well though out and  effecting.

By SUE MANNING, Associated Press Writer Sue Manning, Associated Press Writer Tue Jul 27, 1:29 pm ET
LOS ANGELES Otters sweltering in the summer sun suck on "fishsicles." For carnivores like the Amur leopard, it's "bloodsicles."

Zoos across the country are using icy treats, shade, water and every conceivable form of cooling machine to help hundreds of thousands of animals, visitors and workers beat the heat this summer.

Even animals from Africa can have problems with extreme heat, says Lion Country Safari wildlife director Terry Wolf.

"It can be pretty stressful to some of them," he said. So at the Loxahatchee park in southern Florida, rhinos, tortoises and birds have slushy wet mud holes and the water buffalo have canals and lakes pumped full of water. Diets have changed from winter protein to summer fiber.

Earlier this month, temperatures soared past 100 in New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, D.C., and Newark, N.J., and broke records in Providence, R.I., and Hartford, Conn. In the West, Southern California, Arizona and New Mexico were in triple digits. Death Valley in eastern California reached 125 degrees.

More  to this  story is here!

http://news.yahoo.co...a_pets_hot_zoos

I channel in order to dream, Inspiring intuition.
I seal the input of abundance, With the resonant tone of attunement.
I am guided by the power of vision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users