Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New photo of Face on Mars proves Red Planet's

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,043 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

View Postxris, on 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.
Don't encourage them? Holy cow, they don't need much encouragement. Most of the true, true believers are completely impervious to anything anyone says to them anyway.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#17    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

View Postxris, on 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Im afraid you guys are too cynical and comical to keep any true believers here for long. You never encourage them , I might try on occassions to play both sides but I see your reactions. You act like circling vultures ready to plunge on your prey. You need to feed it appears.

Calling people cynical and comical because they disagree openly with your opinions is actually quite humourous.  I mean, really, are you suggesting we should just let people spout off whatever idiocy and foolishness they feel like without defending from a real understanding of reality?

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant.  Stupidity, willful ignorance, is something completely different, however.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#18    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

View Post747400, on 31 July 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

Don't encourage them? Holy cow, they don't need much encouragement. Most of the true, true believers are completely impervious to anything anyone says to them anyway.

Exactly.  I find the same thing.  "True believers" are very stubborn, even when they have no reason to be, and no real facts at all.  The are quite resistant to any form of logical attack, preferring their squalid ignorance and faith in unproven ideas to reality and true knowledge.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#19    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 31 July 2010 - 02:26 PM, said:

Exactly.  I find the same thing.  "True believers" are very stubborn, even when they have no reason to be, and no real facts at all.  The are quite resistant to any form of logical attack, preferring their squalid ignorance and faith in unproven ideas to reality and true knowledge.

Sorta Like Believing in Gravity ?  If you dont believe in it Try Jumping outta the Airplane!
And when you get right up to Reality tell me it dosnt exisist!

SPLATTT!!!

MAybe these guys Will figure it Out?

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#20    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 31 July 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

Sorta Like Believing in Gravity ?  If you dont believe in it Try Jumping outta the Airplane!
And when you get right up to Reality tell me it dosnt exisist!

SPLATTT!!!

MAybe these guys Will figure it Out?

It's not whether it exists or not, but what, exactly, it is.  Sure it exists, there is SOME sort of effect.  But we do have more to learn about it.  That's the beauty of it.

#21    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,602 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 31 July 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

It's not whether it exists or not, but what, exactly, it is.  Sure it exists, there is SOME sort of effect.  But we do have more to learn about it.  That's the beauty of it.

http://www.realitysa...y_story_gravity

:lol:

#22    the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

the_UNKNOWN_DEAD

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 31 July 2010 - 04:21 PM, said:

So that is what your avatar is doing...vibrating to defy gravity. :)

#23    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,602 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

View Postthe_UNKNOWN_DEAD, on 31 July 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

So that is what your avatar is doing...vibrating to defy gravity. :)

that is irrelevant without knowing what it is....  :P

#24    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• 1,109 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 31 July 2010 - 04:21 PM, said:

I said there's some sort of effect, not force.  ;)  Clever, though.  :P

#25    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,602 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 31 July 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

I said there's some sort of effect, not force.  ;)  Clever, though.  :P

another constituent of one of matter's properties defy those very laws of 'effect'... but they "force" their force to be ufos... :wub:

Posted Image

#26    TattooMan

TattooMan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• Keep an open mind about things you don't understand. You will be more likely to accept it, rather then react out of fear.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

THERE YA HAVE IT... ALL THESE YEARS THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THERE IS A FACE ON MARS AND NASA EVEN PROCLAIMED THAT IT WAS A PLAY ON SHADOWS, JUST PROVED THEY WERE RIGHT.... WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO WAIT UNTIL THERE IS MORE EVIDENCE BEFORE DRAWING THEIR OWN CONCLUSIONS??? IT IS FAR BETTER TO REMAIN SKEPTICAL UNTIL YOU HAVE DEFINITIVE PROOF ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

#27    Samael

Samael

Psychic Spy

• 1,071 posts

• Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. - Dana Scully, The X-Files

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

Obviously the Martians removed it once they realised they were drawing attention to themselves. God. OPEN YOUR EYES, SHEEPLE.

Posted Image

Attempting to sound vaguely intellectual since 2006

#28    xris

xris

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

View PostDruidus-Logos, on 31 July 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

Calling people cynical and comical because they disagree openly with your opinions is actually quite humourous.  I mean, really, are you suggesting we should just let people spout off whatever idiocy and foolishness they feel like without defending from a real understanding of reality?

There's nothing wrong with being ignorant.  Stupidity, willful ignorance, is something completely different, however.
Im not suggesting you dont oppose the unsubstantiated claims of the true believers but it goes beyond that. I found the reaction to a thread I posted to be instantly classified as outrageous and worthy of ridicule. There appears to be a response built on years of opposing silly unrealistic claims. I read certain claims and they dont even need replies but others need to be examined and considered.BUT I must admit the idea that a pile of rocks looks like a human face on mars, is beyond my understanding.I used to see the devils face on some awful wall paper from the sixties, that hung in my bedroom.

#29    xris

xris

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

View PostTattooMan, on 31 July 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

THERE YA HAVE IT... ALL THESE YEARS THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THERE IS A FACE ON MARS AND NASA EVEN PROCLAIMED THAT IT WAS A PLAY ON SHADOWS, JUST PROVED THEY WERE RIGHT.... WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO WAIT UNTIL THERE IS MORE EVIDENCE BEFORE DRAWING THEIR OWN CONCLUSIONS??? IT IS FAR BETTER TO REMAIN SKEPTICAL UNTIL YOU HAVE DEFINITIVE PROOF ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.
Im no die hard skeptic and hopefully keep more than open mind to the strangest of concepts BUT  no way can you conclude that a race of extinct aliens left a pile of rocks to indicate their past presence. Don't you think they could have been a bit more imaginative?

#30    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

I remember hearing about how people believed there were canals on Mars, though later they were shown to be optical illusions as observing technology improved.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users