Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Top 10 Sci-fi Novels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 30 December 2002 - 04:29 AM

Kudos' to Celti  wub.gif  for the suggestion, here's your chance to list your favorite science fiction books. Lord of the Rings is generally regarded as fantasy, but would still be accepted as a valid selection.  Here's my selection for the top 10 Sci-Fi novels, in no particular order;

Stranger in a Strange Land
Childhood's End
Dune
Lord of the Rings
Flowers for Algernon
Earth Abides
Fahrenheit 451
Lucifer's Hammer
Man in the High Castle
Alas, Babylon
On the Beach * - I know, that's eleven, so sue me. tongue.gif

I tended towards the apocalyptic scenario's, which may seem a bit maudlin, but the stories not only showed man at his worse, but also portrayed characters with incredible tenacity, courage and fortitude, qualities which could only inspire a sense of hope in the reader. The list could have easily been twice as long, as I practically devoured science fiction when I was younger, but no one else would have been able to list their favorites. blink.gif

Magikman  smile.gif                                                

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 12:43 PM

I'd add to that list with:

CONTACT - Carl Sagan

&

COMMUNION - Whitley Streiber (arguably a work of fiction or a narrative on real life events)

smile.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,993 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 30 December 2002 - 12:59 PM

Don't forget:

2001: A Space Odyssey ( Arthur. C. Clarke )

rolleyes.gif                                                

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:51 PM

time to burst the bubble, as they say..

The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy not a science fiction                                                

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#5    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 30 December 2002 - 06:21 PM

blink.gif

Thought I had covered that small detail in my original post.

I was thinking that if this thread inspired enough responses and everyone listed about 5 to 10 favorites, you'd get an idea of which novels were the most popular overall. I didn't want to leave out LOTR, given its current status and interest. Besides, I always figured fantasy novels to be nothing more than a sub-division of the Sci-Fi category. No big deal, either way.  tongue.gif

Magikman  mellow.gif                                                

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#6    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 07:12 AM

I'd like to add First Contract by Greg Costikyan.

"n First Contract, Costikyan has resurrected an idea from some long-forgotten shoebox, a novella originally titled "Sales Reps from the Stars." A savvy CEO, a power-suit-wearing, proper Indian businessman by the name of Johnson Mukerjii, gets screwed by an alien invasion. The ETs want to do business, except we're the Aztecs and they're the Spaniards, and we can kiss our gold good-bye. But Mukerjii, after losing everything--his millions, his San Jose manse, his leggy wife--figures out how to beat the aliens at their own game in a characteristically Costikyan way: by producing exports in the form of cheesy, shoddily constructed spaceship beverage accoutrements:

"Made in Japan," "Made in Taiwan," and now--I gestured grandly--"Made on Earth."
Fans of imaginative fiction would do well to keep tabs on Costikyan. --Paul Hughes" Excerpt from www.amazon.com

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

#7    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 01 January 2003 - 10:42 AM

wub.gif  kiss.gif MM  Thank You...

I will go with a mixyure of the two genres/ authors as there are so many to chose from then saves arguments biggrin.gif  

Anything by Tolkien< tongue.gif >

Anne Macaffery: Damia.

Raymond. E. Fiest: Magician.

Frank Herbert: Dune

William Gibson: Neuromancer.

Philip.K.Dick : Do androids dream of electric sheep.

Philip Jose Farmer: To your scattered bodies go.

Charles de Lint: Spirit Walk.

Ursula le Guin: the Earthsea books.

H.G.Wells: the time Machine/ island of Dr Moreau/ War of the Worlds.

See told you I was spoilt for choice laugh.gif                                                

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users