Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Star Trek

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

• Ignorance I can handle, stupidity I can't.

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Does anybody here think that the human race here on earth will ever reach the point where we are traveling the galaxies and achieve the level peace that has been reaced in the Star Trek series? And I'm talking peace between individuals and acceptance of other ways of life, not peace throughout the Universe. Although, it seems there is more peace throughout the Universe in Star Trek than there is on our own insignificant planet at this time.  

"This concept of 'wub' confuses and infuriates us!"
~Futurama <---- the aliens

#2    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (MoonBaby @ Jul 16 2004, 09:25 PM)
Does anybody here think that the human race here on earth will ever reach the point where we are traveling the galaxies and achieve the level peace that has been reaced in the Star Trek series? And I'm talking peace between individuals and acceptance of other ways of life, not peace throughout the Universe. Although, it seems there is more peace throughout the Universe in Star Trek than there is on our own insignificant planet at this time.

no, we will destroy ourselves first.

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#3    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

I don't believe:

a ) Humans can co-exist peacefully.
b ) That level of technology will ever be reached.
c ) Humans will exist in another 3 thousand years.

Edited by BurnSide, 16 July 2004 - 10:14 PM.

#4    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:22 PM

I dont think we'll kill ourselves off.  I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens, such as a nuclear war, or, better yet, contact with another agressive alien race. But other than that... I see the future more likely to be like the future in the Alien series...

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#5    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (Stellar @ Jul 16 2004, 11:22 PM)
I dont think we'll kill ourselves off.  I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens, such as a nuclear war, or, better yet, contact with another agressive alien race. But other than that... I see the future more likely to be like the future in the Alien series...

you do realize the odds of us encountering an alien species are about 100 million times the odds of finding a certain fish in the ocean (say every fish in the ocean was a clown fish except for one)  

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#6    Catrat

Catrat

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

• What is strong wins: that is the universal law. If only it were not so often precisely what is stupid and evil!
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:27 AM

I'm pretty sure there are already some places in the USA that are so polluted, living there is like smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. This world is slowly getting more and more polluted, we're soon going to run out of oil, therefore plastic, I say space flight is our only hope, but there are like no inhabitable planets (unless mars works out which would be cool). Sorry I just realised I used like no full stops:S!

If your parents never had children, chances are you never will either..

#7    Q-La

Q-La

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

• much to learn for a small cranium

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

Unfortunately it takes much bloodshed and wars for our human to realize that we are one family.  Cultural evloution is much slower than a technical one.  I think it'll take another at least 500 years before racism and unhealthy inter-nation rivalry can be eliminated and only then a united effort to explore space will be possible.  But maybe it will take an alien invasion or universal disaster to unite us into one body?

Qrious at a healthy and happy level.
Examine and study the body
Analyse the mind
But the heart escapes scholarly devices

Verbal violence is the defense of those who think they know enough
You are what you choose yourself to be and you will find out who you are with what you do

#8    Asterix

Asterix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

• By Belenos and Toutatis!

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately it takes much bloodshed and wars for our human to realize that we are one family

I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens,

Unfortunately, humans lack the memory for something like that. They said, after WWI, that nothing as horrible could ever happen again. After WWII, they said that this is it, nothing as horrible could ever happen again. 50 yrs later, we still try to find ways to live in peace and free of terror. We still try to live without the fear of...the sky falling on our heads. (said me, Asterix the Gaul) wink2.gif

Posted Image
There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.
Paulo Coelho

#9    mickyboy

mickyboy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

• get away frorm me son ya bother me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:32 PM

i think it would take some kind of miracle for this planet to achieve total peace, war is a serious money making business and it wouldnt just happen overnight where man stops imposing his will on other man, as for star trekking across the universe, maybe our childrens children might get some inkling about when that will occur, it would be nice to see world peace in our time and man reaching beyond the stars but its strictly television at the moment and i guess we just have to accept that for now, its a nice thought and maybe.................. some day.........just not yet

Then let us again examine whether that is a sound statement, or do we let it pass, and if one of us, or someone else, merely says that something is so, do we accept that it is so? Or should we examine what the speaker means?

Socrates

#10    Asterix

Asterix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

• By Belenos and Toutatis!

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:29 PM

I guess a note of hope would be to think that no more than 70 years ago, the head of the English Astronomy society stated that a trip to moon was "total and utter stupidity, something that will never happen". 20 years later, it did...

Posted Image
There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.
Paulo Coelho

#11    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:39 PM

Technology such as the Star Treks may be possible, but I think we're more likely to be the Dominion than the Federation.

However, the chances of finding intellegent life is slim, slimmer still is the chance that it will be humanoid or similar enough to us to comunicate.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#12    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:45 PM

Smaller still is it that the lifeform will want to be our friends and that we'll have sexual relations with them. And that there will be many different types of them defined soley by the ridges on their noses.

#13    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:48 PM

I would hope that we would be able to make it to the point that we were able to have star trekkish technology.

I for one just want the phaser...wouldn't it be great to be able to stun people that pissed you off???

Bad service in a restaurant?
***Zap***
***Flop to floor***

IRS Audit?
***Zap***
***Flop to floor***

Rude bank teller?
***Zap***
***Flop to floor***

Looking at my own post I think I may have answered the question... yeah, we're screwed. whistling2.gif  

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#14    gsr

gsr

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

• Genesis 1
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:04 AM

No, I do not think we may ever reach the full use of Star Trek technology and exploration.  Yes, as the others we will end up destroying ourselves first.  Why?  Mankind persists in ever greater moral entropy.  Without a real revival to moral clarity, the nothing will continue to add darkness to the world.

John 1:1 In the beggining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  2 The same was in the beginning with God.  3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Psalm 19:1  The heavens declare the Glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stodd in the midst of Mars' hill and said, Ye ment of Athens, I percieve that in all things ye are too superstitious.  23 For I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an alter with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.  Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.  24 God that made the world and all theing therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwlleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worhipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

#15    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:53 AM

Judging by the Star Trek calendar, we have passed the date in which humanity was to create huge advances in space exploration and biological engineering, like Khan.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users