Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cooking / Recipes

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Lynn is the best !

Looks delicious Dice.

Maybe one day I'll share the recipe for my specialty, "glass of water". Always a winner when comes Summertime.  :P

#62    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 03 August 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

I've noticed that there are quite a few people talking about food on various threads - whether it's the best barbecue, or breadmaking tips, or whatever.

What's your favorite recipe?

Here's one that's very easy for what's been a very hot summer. I make the asparagus first thing in the morning while it's still cool outside and when dinnertime rolls around, I don't have to turn on the stove.

Salmon Roll-ups
1 pkg - sliced, smoked salmon
asparagus
Cream cheese with scallions & chives

Steam asparagus so that it's still firm then quickly put into ice-cold bath of water. Remove from ice-water and place in container that can be tightly sealed.  Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or prepared salad dressing of your choice) and seal container. Let asparagus marinate at least a few hours - best if overnight.

Lay the salmon flat and spread about 2" from end with about a tbl. of cream cheese. Cut the asparagus into 1" sections and place four pieces (or however many you prefer) on the creamcheese at the tip of the salmon. Simply fold over and roll up completely, pop into your mouth and ENJOY! I sometimes add or substitute cucumber for the asparagus.

I like this one... anything with fresh salmon and asparagus is lovely...

I will ltry this...

***Anyone got any nice desert recipes? ***

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 26 July 2011 - 09:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#63    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,736 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

View PostMichelle, on 25 July 2011 - 07:49 PM, said:

You inspired me to try eggplant again and I tried your recipe...I still don't like it. :P

Did you try this one? Simple and easy and sooo yummy. Slice the eggplant as thin as you want in any shape you want. Dredge it in seasoned flour. Flour with garlic powder, or basil, oregano, thyme, season all, cajun, ANY THING you like and fry it up in a little bit of olive oil, or butter, or margarine, or bake it. again what ever you like, it's real cool cause you pick the seasonings etc. Good for zucchini to.

View Postarchernyc, on 26 July 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

Sorry!  Keep trying! I didn't like avocados until I was in my mid-40s.  Your palate changes every 7 years (supposedly), so maybe down the road you'll decide you like eggplant.

I agree. I hated peas, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms, growing up. Now I love them.

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#64    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 26 July 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

***Anyone got any nice desert recipes? ***
I do - what do you like? Chocolate? Fruit? Easy? Complicated?  Dessert covers a huge range of recipes.  In the meantime, I made a pie last Thanksgiving that everyone raved over. NOTE: I used fresh fruit except for the canned cherries: raspberries and included fresh blackberries too.  I tried making this a second time using sugar instead of Splenda and it didn't turn out quite as well.

1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained
1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
1 cup SPLENDA« No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
╝ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Unroll and fit one piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
Drain cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (if frozen), reserving 1 cup of the juices. Set berries and juice aside.
Combine SPLENDA« Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and reserved fruit. Cool slightly and spoon mixture into pie shell.
Unroll remaining piecrust; roll to ⅛-inch thickness: place over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#65    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 28 July 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

I do - what do you like? Chocolate? Fruit? Easy? Complicated?  Dessert covers a huge range of recipes.  In the meantime, I made a pie last Thanksgiving that everyone raved over. NOTE: I used fresh fruit except for the canned cherries: raspberries and included fresh blackberries too.  I tried making this a second time using sugar instead of Splenda and it didn't turn out quite as well.

1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained
1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
1 cup SPLENDA« No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
╝ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Unroll and fit one piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
Drain cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (if frozen), reserving 1 cup of the juices. Set berries and juice aside.
Combine SPLENDA« Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and reserved fruit. Cool slightly and spoon mixture into pie shell.
Unroll remaining piecrust; roll to ⅛-inch thickness: place over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with a scoop of frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.

Sounds good.. I like fruit in deserts.. I have a blackberry bush in my back garden...   I was thinking of making home-made blackberry jam  ( jelly)  .....   I have this copied and pasted in to a folder.. Thank you again

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#66    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Another easy dessert, I posted in the Canadians thread.  My friends and I made Southern Comfort poached peaches which you serve warm over vanilla ice cream.  Soooo good!

Spoon these plump, juicy peaches and some syrup over vanilla ice cream, sweetened sour cream, waffles, or pancakes. I think it would also be good with mascarpone cheese.

INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds peaches (about 12)
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped, pods reserved
1 cup Southern Comfort (or bourbon of your choice)

STEPS:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Cut a small X into the bottom of each peach. Boil peaches for 1 minute.

2. Transfer to ice-water bath. Let cool slightly. Peel and pit peaches, and cut into 3/4" thick wedges. If you aren't able to peel the peaches easily, drop them back into the boiling water for about 10 sec.

3. Bring 4 cups water, the sugar, and vanilla seeds and pods to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add peaches and bourbon. Simmer until peaches are tender but still hold their shape, 5 to 7 minutes.

4. Transfer peaches to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. (We poured through a mesh strainer) Cook remaining syrup over medium heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Pour over peaches and let cool completely. Note: if you want a syrupy liquid, do NOT reduce the sugar. We reduced the sugar by half and the liquid was very watery.

5. Divide peaches among five 12-ou. sterilized jars using a slotted spoon. (Jars can be sterilized by boiling in water, submerged, for 10 minutes.) Pour syrup over tops, leaving 1/2" of headspace at the top of the jar. Add vanilla pods to jars if desired. Seal jars and process. (If you don't want to keep the peaches for a long time, just put in the fridge and they'll last 30 days)

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#67    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Here's another great recipe for Deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan. Yummy and easy (and I don't even like eggplant). I added a roasted red pepper to the tomato sauce.

1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 sprigs fresh oregano
3 sprigs fresh basil
5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup panko
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
5 large basil leaves, for garnish

Directions:

To prepare the eggplant, sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand, in a colander, about 20 minutes; drain, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
Heat some of the oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat, and cook eggplant, undisturbed, until golden, about 4 minutes; flip and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes (you'll need to do this in a single layer and in batches).
Drain eggplant on paper toweling; repeat until all the eggplant is cooked.
Turn heat down to medium, add 3 tablespoons of oil and add 4 garlic cloves; cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and oregano; cook, breaking up the tomatoes, until they start form a sauce, about 15 minutes.
Add basil and 4 tablespoons Parmesan; simmer 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, mince the remaining garlic and add to the skillet, along with the bread crumbs; toast, stirring, until bread crumbs just start to brown, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon Parmesan; season with a pinch of salt.
To serve, arrange eggplant on a large oven-proof platter and spoon dollops of ricotta over, then top with sauce; scatter bread crumb mixture over sauce, top with mozzarella and  Parmesan, garnish with basil leaves. Heat up in the oven until the cheeses are melted.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users