Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What is the afterlife like?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    rileycooper

rileycooper

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

• happiness is a choice

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

I am really interested in the afterlife and would love to hear  peoples ideas and or experiences about the afterlife.  What they think happens when you die and what it's like and where is it etc.

#2    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

My father's heart completely stopped during a heart attack but he was revived after a couple of minutes.  After he was released from the hospital, he told my mom that he was no longer worried about dying, that he had seen God and knew that everything was going to be ok.  When she tried to ask him further questions, he said "I can't tell you anything else, because I made a promise that I wouldn't."  We think he knew he was going to die, because once he was home from the hospital, he called all of his brothers and sisters and family friends and basically said goodbye to everyone and died a few days later, totally at peace.

I was pregnant at the time and when I was in labor a few months later, I was walking up and down the hall in the hospital (trying to get things moving along) and saw my father sitting in the waiting room. I didn't think anything about it until I got a little further down the hall, then was like "wait a minute?" raced back and of course, he wasn't there. I didn't say anything about this to anyone until years later when I mentioned it to my mom and she asked why I hadn't said something sooner because she had seen him at the hospital too! Maybe it was just wishful thinking on both our parts, but it was kinda nice to think that he was there for the birth of his first grandchild.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#3    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

I really don't know. I do think it is relative and depends on your religion and culture. From looking into NDE's a little I would expect to experience a life review.

Ancient cultures had a deep understanding of death imo and Egypt may have had the most complex scenario with rites of muumification, etc. However, it is tibetan buddhism that goes into the most detail trying to help the individual make the crossing from life to death. Perhaps these things are not needed though and christianity is a streamlined version but no less effective.

http://www.spiritual...afterdeath.html

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#4    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Youre dead.
Cremated, or buried in the ground. IMO, thats the afterlife as we know it right now.

the truth is out there....

#5    keven3

keven3

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

View Postrileycooper, on 05 August 2010 - 12:26 PM, said:

I am really interested in the afterlife and would love to hear  peoples ideas and or experiences about the afterlife.  What they think happens when you die and what it's like and where is it etc.
I was raised Cathoic and then had a spiritual union with God when I was a teenager which then kept me a Christian. I stayed in the Catholic church as I had approximately 5 other heavenly visitations in a Catholic setting.

I didn't necessarily personally think what I was taught was true about the afterlife, but then I read many books about people who intercede for others, such as for unborn (unbaptized) babies, the dead, and for people in general. There is one person in particular who caught my eye, Maria Simma.

She prayed for the souls in purgatory so much that they started to come to her to ask her to do things for them so that they could finish their purification process and make it to heaven. Here is one link to check out http://www.holysouls...ria-simma1.html There is also a book you can find online to read more about her experiences with the souls asking for help.

I also read many books on Marian visitations. She always asks us to pray for the souls in purgatory. She showed the children in Fatima a vision of hell, and says she herself is from Heaven.

Therefore as summarized briefly above, I came to believe in the usual Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, as three possible paths for when we die. I am sure there is more to it as described by a previous poster to this forum but I do now believe at a minimum in the three categories for life after death.

Keven

Edited by keven3, 05 August 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#6    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 18,579 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

An old man was feeding some pigeons on a park bench A young couple came up to him and said, "Excuse me sir, but you look well established here. We have just moved to this town. Could you tell us how we will find it.?

"well," replied the old fella. "how did you find the last town you lived in?"

"Why it was very nice"  the woman responded. "The people were friendly, our neighbours liked us, we got on well with commuity groups, our kids enjoyed their school. People talked to each other."

"Thats nice," responded the old fella. "I think you will find this town is very similar."

"Thank you. That is good to hear. We already had a good feeling about this town," responded the bloke, and the couple moved on.

A Little later a  middle aged man approached the old fella and said,
" Hey I've just moved here. What is this town like to live in?"

"well," replied the old fella, "how did you find the last town you lived in?"

"Pretty bad replied the bloke. The people were unfriendly, my neighbours disliked me, I couldnt find any community groups that appealed to me, and most were just busybodies. The schools were hopeless, and no one talked to me."

"Thats unfortunate," responded the old fella, "but i think you will find this town is very similar."
" DAmn! I already suspected as much," muttered the bloke, as he moved off.
The moral?

Well, in part; life is what you make of it. I can see no reason why any afterlife would not be the same. :innocent:

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#7    alphafemale

alphafemale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Bog manje Hrvatska!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

the bible offers you ( in the form of a parable ) a view into  the "dimention" souls are at this time. 2 sides of the gulf.

#8    Larving

Larving

Remote Viewer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

Everything responsible for your thought, sense and memory processes will cease to function and while your body will still be around, from your point of view you will have ceased to exist. The molecules of your body will be put to use elsewhere, mostly by other living things who will use them as building blocks through metabolism.

Of course if you're lucky you will have already passed on your genes. While that won't let you live forever, it will work like a artisan signature. Forever reminding the world of who you were.

#9    rileycooper

rileycooper

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

• happiness is a choice

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 August 2010 - 01:11 AM, said:

An old man was feeding some pigeons on a park bench A young couple came up to him and said, "Excuse me sir, but you look well established here. We have just moved to this town. Could you tell us how we will find it.?

"well," replied the old fella. "how did you find the last town you lived in?"

"Why it was very nice"  the woman responded. "The people were friendly, our neighbours liked us, we got on well with commuity groups, our kids enjoyed their school. People talked to each other."

"Thats nice," responded the old fella. "I think you will find this town is very similar."

"Thank you. That is good to hear. We already had a good feeling about this town," responded the bloke, and the couple moved on.

A Little later a  middle aged man approached the old fella and said,
" Hey I've just moved here. What is this town like to live in?"

"well," replied the old fella, "how did you find the last town you lived in?"

"Pretty bad replied the bloke. The people were unfriendly, my neighbours disliked me, I couldnt find any community groups that appealed to me, and most were just busybodies. The schools were hopeless, and no one talked to me."

"Thats unfortunate," responded the old fella, "but i think you will find this town is very similar."
" DAmn! I already suspected as much," muttered the bloke, as he moved off.
The moral?

Well, in part; life is what you make of it. I can see no reason why any afterlife would not be the same. :innocent:

thats a wonderful way to look at things :-)

#10    Black Hound

Black Hound

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I have no idea and when I try, I can't get my mind  "around it, so I can understnd it". Being a "somewhat" religious type, I can refer to what the after life is like from the Bible, in the New Testament, aand some stories by thoses who have been "there" and returned, though their stay might have been very brief..Guess it's a question that can be debated, from "there is none", to" all bright and suny", or somewhere in between. This time of thee morning, it is way to much of a question to try to deal with without getting a headache.:lol:

#11    FraZZleD

FraZZleD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny.
    Thomas Jefferson

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

Here is a site I like to read.  NDE LINK I think you will find a lot of what your looking for here. :tu:

Posted Image

#12    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

I am really interested in the afterlife and would love to hear peoples ideas and or experiences about the afterlife. What they think happens when you die and what it's like and where is it etc.

maybe it makes sense not to ask those who never had afterlife yet, but just wait and see what it looks like?

#13    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

When I die, bring me back and I will tell you :D

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#14    Dr. D

Dr. D

Alien Abducter

• 5,275 posts

• I love being me even though sometimes I'm still a stranger.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

There is no after life.  After life is death.  It is the after death that you are asking about.

#15    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 18,579 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

View PostDr. D, on 09 August 2010 - 05:18 AM, said:

There is no after life.  After life is death.  It is the after death that you are asking about.
You'd need to define your terms a little more for me to be certain, but that seems an absolutist statement.

I dont believe in a life after death, but the point is one cannot know either, that any conscious form exists after death, or that it does not.

And certainly one can not know that human consciousness is not capable of storage and retrieval or replication. Heck we are only a few decades from being able to do that ourselves. Scientifically, there is no reason why ours might not be the last "mortal" generation of humanity.

Thus death may not be an end point or even an absolute certainty. It might be only a transition point or not even that. But you are correct that, at present, it would appear as if everyone dies, and the quesion is  really, "Is there a continuation of our present consciousness/life, after that death?"

Edited by Mr Walker, 09 August 2010 - 06:27 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users