Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chain of human pylons planned for Iceland

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,909 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

A proposal to install a chain of human-shaped pylons across Iceland – transforming an ugly utility into something of remarkable beauty – has won a leading architecture award.

The “Land of Giants” plan would have seen dozens of metallic figures erected across the island’s volcanic landscape.

Each humanoid electricity pylon could be twisted into a different posture, allowing the structures to project moods fitting with their surroundings.

Posted Image Read more...
They look much better than the usual kind I think.

Posted Image

#2    Druidus-Logos

Druidus-Logos

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

This is a great idea.  People rarely consider the ramifications of the appearance of their surroundings, but it really does matter to our emotions.  More projects like this should be done around the world.  We aren't meant to live in hives.

~I am a dark melody of chaos and order, a shadowed figure painted upon the heavens of dusk.~
Censorship has always been used as a tool to subjugate minority ideas, regardless of validity.  Used to delegitimize certain points of view.  This kind of arbitary censorship will always be an injustice to humanity; it tries to brush ideas under the rug.  It forces the adoption of certain mainstream views, making it impossible to teach, learn, or speak about ideas that the censors disagree with.  This will always be unethical.

#3    Sanderz

Sanderz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Amazing, but I would have liked massive stonehumans instead ;__;
They would last longer too, even without maintenance...

"Female Cosmonaut: ;I'll take it and hold it with my right hand. Look out the peephole! I have it!
Male Cosmonaut: ;There is something! If we do not get out the world will never know about this!"
-From the final transmission of a pair of Cosmonauts whose scheduled seven-day mission was interrupted by a malfunction of unknown origins. This piece of conversation was recorded on February 24, 1961 while they were trying to repair the damage. The two Cosmonauts were never heard from again.

#4    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,122 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

What and awesome idea. It's a celebration of human achievement.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#5    farandaway

farandaway

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• I know the voices aren't real...but they have some pretty good ideas!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

I like the idea.  Everything utilitarian does not have to be ugly.  We are going to have to look at some of these structures for years, we could make them easier on the eye.

And all dead years draw thither, and all disastrous things...  
The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users