Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Microbes survive 553 days in space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,737 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

A small English fishing village has produced an out-of-this-world discovery.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

These are just everyday organisms that live on the coast in Beer in Devon and they can survive in space”

End Quote Dr Karen Olsson-Francis Open University

Bacteria taken from cliffs at Beer on the South Coast have shown themselves to be hardy space travellers.

The bugs were put on the exterior of the space station to see how they would cope in the hostile conditions that exist above the Earth's atmosphere.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    silentsinger

silentsinger

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Quite interesting that these bacteria can survive in open space, lends credence to the panspermia theory.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 7,937 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

well didn't they do something similar with a fly or flies. and they managed to live a while out in space?

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

• "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

i thought we already knew bacteria could live in space on a asteroid or comet? or was that all theory until now?

“I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.”  Albert Einstein

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,737 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

View PostBamboo Samurai, on 24 August 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

i thought we already knew bacteria could live in space on a asteroid or comet? or was that all theory until now?
That is still only hypothesis.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Wow, that's disturbing to know potential lethal variations of bacterias has the possibility to lie dormant and alive somewhere in or out of this Earth.

Imagine having the first man on Mars someday only to bring back a bacteria that got in contact with its space suit.  :ph34r:

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users