Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

where did the "sumerians" come from?

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 25 August 2010 - 01:41 AM, said:

I have read a cornucopia of information regarding the sumerians. Yet, one glaring question remains for me. "Where did they come from? They literally had their own language that didn't seem to relate to any know speech from the area. It seemed like cuneiform was an already established form of writing for them. While most of their advances with farming and such simply came with time and the first "civilization" grew from what they had started I ask you, how were they so individualized and advanced at that time?
Haven't you seen that famous documentry... Battlestar Galactica? The final episode shows where all the advanced technology in the world came from... space colonists.  :w00t:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostEssan, on 26 August 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

Whist trading with the Vinca culture (or with others who in turn traded with others who in turn traded with the Vinca cuture) is possible and may have led to a sharing of ideas, I see no reason to suppose peoples from Europe would have migrated to the Middle East just as the Middle East was turning into a desert .....  If anything the opposite is more likely.   Maybe the Vinca culture emerged from Ubaidians migrating north to more temperate climes?

Makes sense. I think the most densely populated area of Sumer were further south and the rivers and sea would have been of prime importance as evidenced at Eridu. Europe was populated by farmers in the main so I think we can assume that Sumer imported a lot of grain and such things.

http://www.rastko.rs.../vinca_eng.html

The presence of the Vinca culture shows some of the most advanced ceramics I have seen. You add the early script from post Black sea flood and it may give some basis for the Enuma Elish originating there and surviving through oral traditions or on other tablets of Vinca script that got destroyed.

As has been pointed out to me previously Sumer was not a unified culture as such but had city states that occasionally warred with one another. The need of weapons could have led to trade being extended outwards great distances and this could have added to the mixtures of cultures and cults.

Eridu was the city state of Enki and capital during the Ubaid period and is on the south coast. It is feasable that there were migrants coming from south east Asia and even Australasia and this is why Enki's symbol was the serpent. Not to mention Botswanaa the home of the serpent or Enki cult, geesh that guy has been around along time. Interesting that the snake cult never made much ground in the north. The question is whether the Vinca and other European cultures were serpent cults to. I don't think so because they seem to be more connected to bee godesses or basic fertility godesses.

Into the Uruk period this is when I think Enlil, Marduk and Nergal of the northern tribes began to encroach upon Sumer. They had always been there but the cults now entered the ascendancy perhaps. This may have meant that Sumer's genetic population began to become more caucasoid or armanoid, more white guys came to bring the smackdown on the snake cults of the south and east.

Edited by SlimJim22, 26 August 2010 - 10:12 PM.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#33    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

View PostHarte, on 26 August 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'm not that familiar with Beech, but as far as I can tell, that's not likely to be Elm.

Elm leaves are serrated.  Or at least the Elms I've seen were.

Harte

Fair enough, my eyesight's not all that great any more and I threw in 'elm' at the last moment. Probably somebody did their dissertation on what-kind-and-where-from and it's now buried in a department library somewhere.

But the look is distinctly 'temperate forest'.

#34    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,000 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

There are variations of leaves of even the same types of trees .   Here in N. Michigan.. we have several different looking maples and oaks... which also vary in other states and countries.  Anyway.. ,if we're playing name that leaf,.. my woodland raised eyeballs would say  those leaves look like they might be a type of birch, because of the general shape and the little long point on the tip.        

Edited by lightly, 27 August 2010 - 12:59 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#35    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

View Postlightly, on 27 August 2010 - 12:36 AM, said:

There are variations of leaves of even the same types of trees .   Here in N. Michigan.. we have several different looking maples and oaks... which also vary in other states and countries.  Anyway.. ,if we're playing name that leaf,.. my woodland raised eyeballs would say  those leaves look like they might be a type of birch, because of the general shape and the little long point on the tip.        

Hi lightly - Chuckle. It would appear that you did a quick edit before I could respond. None the less, you might the following to be of interest. The family Cupressacea is actually quite widespread. Yes, only Wiki, but should suffice for the moment.

http://en.wikipedia....ia_sempervirens

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cupressaceae

As to the specific leaf depicted, tough to tell from photo. Deciduous, yes. Family Betula? Possible. Many potential problems to I.D. "Artists" depiction? Accurate detail? Geographic distribution (within time-frame of origin)?, etc.

#36    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,000 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:20 AM

View PostSwede, on 27 August 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Hi lightly - Chuckle. It would appear that you did a quick edit before I could respond. None the less, you might the following to be of interest. The family Cupressacea is actually quite widespread. Yes, only Wiki, but should suffice for the moment.

http://en.wikipedia....ia_sempervirens

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cupressaceae

As to the specific leaf depicted, tough to tell from photo. Deciduous, yes. Family Betula? Possible. Many potential problems to I.D. "Artists" depiction? Accurate detail? Geographic distribution (within time-frame of origin)?, etc.

Hiya Swede ! ,  lol, you caught me!* ..   yup, i removed my comment about 'redwood' trees only growing in N.W. coastal U.S.A.  and Japan. Something i had heard .. but was not sure of.   Thanks for the info on where 'they' do  grow.
   As for the leaf depicted in the Artist's rendering of the Sumerian headdress ...   It resembles birch leaves from this area...  which is quite meaningless i'm sure .    :blush:  .  So.. Your an expert on leaves too!*!*!*!*   why am i not very surprised!?    Your an amazing fellow Swede. (hope your work ,and play, is going well)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#37    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence.

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:20 AM

I agree with Lightly here.  Swede is fantastic - no other way to put it.

Thought I had him there when he mentioned Redwoods.  The leaves on the headdress certainly don't look to be from a conifer.

Then I realized it had been something Lightly edited out.

Dang.  You can't beat Swede.  :no:

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#38    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

View PostHarte, on 27 August 2010 - 03:20 AM, said:

I agree with Lightly here.  Swede is fantastic - no other way to put it.

Thought I had him there when he mentioned Redwoods.  The leaves on the headdress certainly don't look to be from a conifer.

Then I realized it had been something Lightly edited out.

Dang.  You can't beat Swede.  :no:

Harte

Of course you could beat him...........with a dictionary over the head should do nicely ......  :P

On a more serious note, it is true that Swede is a well of information. I know I learn a lot from his posts.
And I agree with you Harte, the leaves on the headdress don't look like they are from a conifer at all. I'm still unsure as to what tree it could be though.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#39    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,403 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 25 August 2010 - 11:35 PM, said:

This Sumerian queen's headdress is kind of interesting, though:

Attachment sumerian-headdress.jpg

Those leaves look like beech or elm leaves; not what I'd think grew on the lower Euphrates, although I could be wrong. Maybe a clue to where they came from?

Possibly not a clue for, as this article sets out, the ancient Mesopotamians were very fond of their exotica.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#40    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

View PostHarte, on 27 August 2010 - 03:20 AM, said:

Maybe a really, really big conifer leaf? :rolleyes:

When in doubt, look it up:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4200486

http://www.penn.muse...raq/?page_id=61

Edited by Oniomancer, 27 August 2010 - 02:44 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#41    Totah Dine

Totah Dine

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

I thought the general consensus was that the Sumerians came from Bahrain.

Posted Image

#42    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostTotah Dine, on 27 August 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

I thought the general consensus was that the Sumerians came from Bahrain.

:wacko: never heard about the Sumerians originating in Bahrain.
maybe you check up on the history of Bahrain.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#43    Harte

Harte

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 27 August 2010 - 02:42 PM, said:

Maybe a really, really big conifer leaf? :rolleyes:

When in doubt, look it up:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4200486

http://www.penn.muse...raq/?page_id=61
Thank you, oh he that does onion divination.

Harte

Posted Image
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#44    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

This pdf file i found while searching is a good one.

Physical anthropology and the Sumerian problem - by Arkadiusz Sołtysiak, Department of Historical Anthropology, Institute of Archaeology, Warsaw University, Poland

While i was going through the wikipedia entry for lady puabi and did an image search for "Puabi"

Puabi's death pit & other bits
Posted Image
Posted Image

Puabi's bust looks Caucasoid.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#45    Harte

Harte

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

Caucasoid or not, her bust looks half naked.

Nice.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users