Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The murder of Cheri Jo Bates

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

CHERI JO BATES
Killed: Oct. 30, 1966 (Sunday)

Case number: 352-481

Time of attack: Approximately 9:30 p.m.

Place of attack: An alley on the campus of Riverside City College, Riverside, Calif.

Method of attack: A 1966 graduate of Riverside's Ramona High School, 18-year-old Cheri Jo Bates was beaten and stabbed multiple times with a short-bladed knife. There was no evidence of robbery or sexual molestation. There were no witnesses.

Details: Bates had been studying in the college library prior to the attack. Her car was found intentionally disabled approximately 100 yards from the alley. A men's Timex watch with a band suggesting a seven-inch wrist was found at the scene, along with a military-style heel print indicating a size 8 - 10 shoe. The origin of the watch was eventually traced to a military post, possibly in England. The shoes could have been sold at nearby March Air Force Base. Investigators established the watch was ripped from the attacker's wrist during the struggle. Although the watch stopped at 12:24, it's believed the crime occured a few hours earlier and that Bates died very quickly.

Zodiac victim? Zodiac was first considered a suspect in the Bates murder in October 1969, when the Riverside Police Department noted similarities between the Bates case and Napa County's Zodiac killing of Sept. 27, 1969. By November 1970, the news media had gotten wind of the possible Zodiac-Bates connection and both the San Francisco Chronicle and Los Angeles Times published lengthly stories. Zodiac sent a letter to the Los Angeles Times postmarked March 13, 1971, accepting responsibility for the Bates crime. However, he might have been falsely taking credit. As in the known Zodiac attacks, the Bates case saw police-taunting letters written to the newspapers. A confession letter was mailed anonymously from Riverside on Nov. 29, 1966 (Tuesday) to both the Riverside Police Department and the Riverside Press-Enterprise newspaper. However, it wasn't necessarily written by her killer. Although this confession did contain details of the crime that weren't widely known, it's quite possible that the letter was simply the work of a hoaxster. In December 1966, a desk with a morbid poem scratched into the surface was discovered in the college library. The writing was eventually attributed to the Zodiac killer. Additionally, three other letters sent anonymously from Riverside on April 30, 1967 to the above recipients, as well as to the victim's father Joseph, have been attributed to the Zodiac. (In November 1967, yet another suspicious letter was received by the local newspaper, however its origin is unknown.)

Conclusion: The Riverside Police Department is confident it knows who killed Cheri and its suspect is not Zodiac. If true, while Zodiac didn't kill Bates he most probably wrote the confession, desk-top poem and three letters, indicating he had ties to the Riverside area.

#2    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

Pictures of Cheri Jo:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

Perhaps Ted Bundy.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,663 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

View Postkurethmu, on 30 August 2010 - 08:31 PM, said:

Perhaps Ted Bundy.
Not a chance.  Doesn't match Ted's M.O.  Ted always hid the bodies and always acted out sexually.

edited to add info

Edited by OverSword, 30 August 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#5    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

View PostOverSword, on 30 August 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

Not a chance.  Doesn't match Ted's M.O.  Ted always hid the bodies and always acted out sexually.

edited to add info

Not always.

#6    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

I don't know, I mean it could be the Zodiac killer, but the MO doesn't really fit. Most of his other victims were shot, although two were stabbed, and they were usually couples out alone. Although, the shoes interest me because they kind of fit the description of what the Zodiac wore. Who knows?

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#7    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

The Shadow knows.

#8    WORKING CLASS AL

WORKING CLASS AL

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:36 AM

View Postkurethmu, on 30 August 2010 - 11:23 PM, said:

The Shadow knows.

I thought that one of the reasons that the M.O did not completely fit Zodiac was because it was very early in his career .  From the stuff I've read , Ithinki t was Zodiac...by the way did anybody read the book ( I gorget the author's name ) by the guy who claimed his Father was the Black Dahlia Avenger...not that book, but the one where he claims his Dad was Zodiac too?  Pretty goofy stuff!

Working Class AL.

Let’s drink to the causes in your life:
Your Family, your Friends, the Union , your Wife

“ Boys on the dock”
The Dropkick Murphys

#9    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

Well the reason i said it might be Ted Bundy is because i've heard this girl's name connected with him before.  But this was years ago during my Bundy phase.  He was going to Stanford which i believe is in California and that would put him near her maybe.  Also, he didn't always hide the bodies very well.  It would appear that way if looking at the main ones in the beginning of his timeline, but he is suspected of and had confessed to murders wherein the bodies weren't hidden so well.  This girl might be one of his early ones.  It doesn't really fit Zodiac i don't think, but it says she was beaten and stabbed, both of which fit Bundy's MO at different times.  It's definitely interesting but i don't think anyone will ever solve this one, barring a confession of some sort.

#10    WORKING CLASS AL

WORKING CLASS AL

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

View Postkurethmu, on 31 August 2010 - 06:00 AM, said:

Well the reason i said it might be Ted Bundy is because i've heard this girl's name connected with him before.  But this was years ago during my Bundy phase.  He was going to Stanford which i believe is in California and that would put him near her maybe.  Also, he didn't always hide the bodies very well.  It would appear that way if looking at the main ones in the beginning of his timeline, but he is suspected of and had confessed to murders wherein the bodies weren't hidden so well.  This girl might be one of his early ones.  It doesn't really fit Zodiac i don't think, but it says she was beaten and stabbed, both of which fit Bundy's MO at different times.  It's definitely interesting but i don't think anyone will ever solve this one, barring a confession of some sort.

Yeah Brother...Stanford is not really far from Riverside.  If you look at how many folks are coming forward to say their Dad, Step Father, Brother, Uncle was Zodiac...its pathetic.  Recently ( within the past year or so) there was one lady that said she sowed the infamous "circled cross" on the Zodiac mask for her father.  She also said that she accompanied him on a few murders....if I remember right she claimed she was with him on the Paul Stein cabbie murder.  That ex-cop has some interesting theories on why his Dad ( the BlackDahlia Avenger) was also the ZODIAC too...oh yeah, I remember the author's name now...GEORGE HODEL.  Don't know if I believe he was the ZODIAC as well , but it would be pretty crazy.  His Dad looks like a number of sketches though and lived in the vicinity of The Stein Cabbie Murder that the Zodiac did.  Check out the book and tell me what you think.

WORKINGCLASS AL

Let’s drink to the causes in your life:
Your Family, your Friends, the Union , your Wife

“ Boys on the dock”
The Dropkick Murphys

#11    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

I think Richard Gaikowski is still the best suspect in the Zodiac case...

#12    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

three other letters sent anonymously from Riverside on April 30, 1967 to the above recipients, as well as to the victim's father Joseph, have been attributed to the Zodiac.
Posted Image

#13    thefirstman

thefirstman

Psychic Spy

• 1,007 posts

• Finding inner peace through outer rage.

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Why did the killer disable the car if it was his intention to kill her outside?? to me it sounds like a contract killing. When performing a kill first thing you do is cover all exits right? plus a short bladed knife is much more easily concealed,and the fact that she died quickly,perhaps the killer knew the correct places to rupture ensuring a fast death?

Posted Image

"if we fight for money,I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honour,I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it" Royce Gracie

#14    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

He disabled the car so Cheri Jo will need help, it was a way for the killer to talk to her.

#15    thefirstman

thefirstman

Psychic Spy

• 1,007 posts

• Finding inner peace through outer rage.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 31 August 2010 - 11:50 PM, said:

He disabled the car so Cheri Jo will need help, it was a way for the killer to talk to her.

ahhh i seee :ph34r:

Posted Image

"if we fight for money,I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honour,I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it" Royce Gracie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users