Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

in.news.yahoo.com said:

Melbourne, Aug 26 (ANI): Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.Similar storms back in 1859 and 1921 caused worldwide chaos, wiping out telegraph wires on a massive scale. Posted Image Read more...

#2    Sarge Fury

Sarge Fury

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

So is there some truth to the 2012 doomsday theory?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the one who is and who was and who is to come, the almighty. (Rev 1:8)

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,649 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:04 AM

View PostSarge Fury, on 04 September 2010 - 05:57 AM, said:

given that this news doesn't involve evil things crawling out of the sky, mystical alignments of planets, free flying planets or reptile people ... then no, there is still no truth to the 2012 doomsday theories.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,541 posts

• “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.”-Shaun Hick

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

My dad talked about this. It actually frightened me, and I tried not to believe him, although I knew there was some chance of it. The news irks me. Hopefully it wont happen.  :mellow:

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#5    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,982 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

am sure we'll all be fine. but only the other day i was watching "how the universe works" on the discovery channel and you have the resident experts #Mihcio Kaku - Michelle Thaller Amy somthing and Alex filippenko, basically the same people who can be found on the TV series the Universe. they tell of a star which is about to go supernova? sometime soon, and its Axis is possibly pointed towards earth which means earth is directly in the path of the gamma ray burst. it could be goodnight Irene.  :tu:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#6    Z-v-S

Z-v-S

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostAliveInDeath, on 04 September 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

My dad talked about this. It actually frightened me, and I tried not to believe him, although I knew there was some chance of it. The news irks me. Hopefully it wont happen.  :mellow:

It needs to happen and sooner the better.

#7    Sofa-King

Sofa-King

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• I first felt a fist, and then a kick, I could now smell their breath. They smelt of pubs and Wormwood Scrubs and too many right wing meetings.

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

View PostAliveInDeath, on 04 September 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

Don't be frightened.

You'll be ok, albeit you might lose your mobile phone signal or Sky Sports News for a little while.

:blush:

#8    SRCivic98

SRCivic98

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

• When being pushed to the limits. Killing is just as easy as breathing.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

View PostSnr-Flaps, on 04 September 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

Don't be frightened.

You'll be ok, albeit you might lose your mobile phone signal or Sky Sports News for a little while.

along with a few other electronics. But then again it might actually help people learn what the ability of talking is too. Build up some social communication. Dang cell phones and other electronics are making this world fat, lazy, illiterate, and just plain boring. Pacifist are becoming more and more but then they complain when they don't get the help they want. Parents can't be parents because the media is delivering messages of, mommy and daddy can't hurt your because you done something bad.

Also, it would certainly help do away with these blasted GPS systems. It's called a map and a compass and a little bit of know how in order to get to where you're going. Also, walking and running would become very popular for a long time.

LIVE WITH HONOR, DIE WITH PRIDE - PERSONAL MOTTO

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME - SNAKE PLISKIN IN ESCAPE FROM LA

ONCE ALL THINGS ARE ELIMATED, WHAT REMAINS, NO MATTER HOW IMPROBIBABLE IT MAY SEEM, MUST BE THE TRUTH - SHERLOCK HOLMES

#9    evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:08 AM

wonder what the effect will be on peoples pace makers? might cause a few deaths.

#10    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

View PostSarge Fury, on 04 September 2010 - 05:57 AM, said:

Not quite.
"Even if a big flare did hit us, it will not be an extinction event. Yes, satellites may be damaged, causing secondary problems such as a GPS loss (which might disrupt air traffic control for example) or national power grids may be overwhelmed by auroral electrojets, but nothing more extreme than that"
http://www.universet...er-solar-flare/
Good article.

the truth is out there....

#11    Salami Swami

Salami Swami

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Damn, ill have to unplugg my laptop... hopefully nothing will happen to it  <_<

Posted Image

#12    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,541 posts

• “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.”-Shaun Hick

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

View PostSnr-Flaps, on 04 September 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

Don't be frightened.

ahh, it's okay, I don't have either of those :lol:

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#13    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,480 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 04 September 2010 - 06:04 AM, said:

given that this news doesn't involve evil things crawling out of the sky, mystical alignments of planets, free flying planets or reptile people ... then no, there is still no truth to the 2012 doomsday theories.

thats because it's not 2012 yet :P

#14    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

I wish it wont happen and neither that doomsday ....

#15    Torgo

Torgo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

• I aM tOrGo... I tAkE cArE oF tHe PlAcE wHiLe ThE mAsTeR iS aWaY...

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:38 PM

You can't predict these things years in advance.  They are stochastic events that are somewhat predictable on a timescale of weeks.

We know the activity of the sun is due to peak in 2011-2013, but you can't predict individual solar storms during that period any more than you can predict individual blizzards 4 months from now.

This peak happens EVERY 11 years.  All of these storms  have yields like those presented here - 150 million kilometers away.  We get the magnetic-field warping charged particles and coronal mass ejections coming our way.  No destructive force to anything except long long conductors, which have the potential to overheat as currents induced by the changing magnetic fields build up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users