Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UM-X 10.1 site update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,489 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

A substantial update has hit the main site today bringing with it some improvements to the design and features, following last year's design overhaul this update is aimed at addressing a few of the areas that needed improvement and provides more content and greater accessability for our visitors.

A few of the improvements implemented this morning include:

Main site search system overhaul
The Google search we had on the main site before was somewhat limited in that it was difficult to target specific types of content, this has now been overhauled with a completely new search system that in a similar way to the forums allows you to select which section of the site you'd like to search, the results are also now formatted with relevant text and images to make them easy to browse. It is now possible to search the news archive, column articles, videos, encyclopedia and even the forums from anywhere on the main site.

News page comments
When viewing a news story on the main site there is now a much greater emphasis on the comments that visitors have posted on that story with the last ten comments listed more prominently on the page. If you are a forum member you can now comment on a story directly on the news page without having to go to the associated forum thread first, this makes reading and adding news story comments a lot easier.

Better forum integration
Members who are logged in on the forums will now see additional forum links on the main site including the ability to visit your settings and forum postings without having to visit the forum first, as mentioned above you can also contribute comments to news stories ( and also videos ) from the main site directly.

Easier encyclopedia navigation
The encyclopedia section has been updated with "next" and "back" options on each entry as well as an improved index similar to the news and article browsing sections.

On top of this update a complete overhaul and integration of our site's two galleries is currently in the works and should be making an appearance soon so keep an eye out for that.

As always with any site updates if you run in to any bugs or technical glitches please let me know.

Thank you. :)

#2    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hi Saru;

I am seeing on the main home page lines of words that are overlayed on each other, For example the ET forum news headline is sitting right over top of the very first link line to a story in that section, This is also being seen in the crypto and ancient mysteries sections too,

Just thought you would like to know,

Regards;

TFF

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,489 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

It sounds like you might have the text size artificially enlarged or zoomed in on your browser settings.

Would it be possible to send me a screen grab so I can see what you are seeing ?

#4    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

I just went back and now the whole thing is changed, I am not even finding the ET section as well as ancient mysteries and several of the others but I am now seeing us politics and other news, I am unsure how to grab a screenshot or I would be more than happy to do that, But what I can see now on main page looks ok as far as being overlayed, On another note I did try and copy paste it for you earlier but when I pasted it it looked normal, ps I do have my seetings at default at this time,

TFF

edit to say I hope im not confusing you in some way but thats what I see there....

Ok another edit, I just opened the site up in a netscape browser and it all looks good, Now im thinking my IE-8 may be messing up,

Edited by thefinalfrontier, 27 September 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,489 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

If you are referring to the "On the forums" block in the middle of the front page then what its doing is showing the last forum sections to be updated with new posts, that's why the categories are changing as new posts are being made.

Can I just check that in IE8 if you go to the "View" menu you have the following set:

- Zoom = 100%
   - Text size = Medium

Also, what do you have "encoding" set at ?

Is it only forum sections with titles containing an "&" ampersand in them that are messed up ?

#6    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Sure!! I have the encoding set on Western/European (ISO)

Zoom is at 100 percent

Text is on Medium now but I can hardly make the words out due to eye sight issues so I normally run that on larger text,

Yes I was reffering to the on the forums block and I see now they change as they update, Also it looks normal now so maybe it was the text size as you suggested,

I will keep these settings for now and if I have more issues ill come back,

Thanks man,

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,489 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

Ok thanks, give me a shout if you run in to any other problems. :tu:

#8    farandaway

farandaway

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• I know the voices aren't real...but they have some pretty good ideas!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

I have Firefox and am also experiencing an overlap on the home page.

And all dead years draw thither, and all disastrous things...  
The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,988 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

View Postfarandaway, on 27 September 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

I have Firefox and am also experiencing an overlap on the home page.
So am I using Firefox and I can see it perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

I like the new look :tu:

Posted Image

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,489 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

It looks like there was an issue with the navigation menu wrapping round and overlapping for some people that had nothing to do with the browser text zoom settings, i've implemented a fix for this and it should now be resolved.

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,895 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Good job, Saru.

Site is looking even better.   :tsu:

Edited by Eldorado, 27 September 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#12    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

:tu:Just want to say that after yesterdays issues they are now all cleared up and the site looks awsome,  :tu:

#13    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

Lookin good G!!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#14    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

It's the place to be.

#15    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,756 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

As I posted my 700th recorded post on the site  :) in the "700 club", I'm looking forward to come back when the site update takes effect about a week and 2 days from now. Good job, Saru and all the others *snip* :tu:

Edited by Saru, 18 October 2010 - 09:05 AM.
Removed offsite comment to avoid confusion - best to use the PM system for that

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users