Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Large crevice confuses residents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,640 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

www.uppermichiganssource.com said:

It's a geological phenomenon that has both authorities and Menominee Township residents scratching their heads.  A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek earlier this week.

"I don't know really.  It just looks like a giant crack in the ground," said young spectator and local resident, Ashley Armbrust. "I don't know what happened."

The 150-yard crevice is puzzling local residents.  Some areas are up to five feet deep and a few feet across.  The ground even rose up several feet in some areas around the crevice, causing trees to lean on both sides.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,214 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

Time to move house if you stay near that.

#3    rassy

rassy

Stealth Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

• perception is not my reality

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

*If this article is already posted, my apologies. I did search before posting.*

A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek

The 150 yard crevice is puzzling local residents.  Some areas are up to five feet deep and a few feet across. The ground even rose up several feet in some areas around the crevice, causing trees to lean on both sides.  Like the spectators, property owners feel the whole thing is just confusing.

source

Check out my new Website!

Posted Image

#4    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

The problem being, who is going to buy your house at a good price, once it is common knowlegde its on unstable ground?  Unless you have a lot saved away, moving would be difficult.

#5    -WOLF-12227-

-WOLF-12227-

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

• "There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt."

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Time for a conspiracy theroy about the world breaking in half and its the governments fault or something.

You can have my weapon when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand.

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

#6    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

A gateway to hell...

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#7    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

View Post-Cult of the wolves-, on 09 October 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

Time for a conspiracy theroy about the world breaking in half and its the governments fault or something.

Earth crust displacement!

#8    Raina

Raina

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 245 posts

• A flying saucer results when a nudist spills his coffee.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

They said the ground around the crack raised 5 or more feet in some places in less than 24 hours.  I'd be worried what was trying to come up through the ground.  Maybe a really old volcano waking up or something.

#9    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,934 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

I'd be wondering what was under there too. Could have been a vent for underground gases or anything. I don't know if there are any fault lines around the region. They mentioned a boom but not any movement. Sink holes as far as I know just go down but can be rather large.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,214 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

View Postsusieice, on 09 October 2010 - 11:33 PM, said:

I'd be wondering what was under there too. Could have been a vent for underground gases or anything. I don't know if there are any fault lines around the region. They mentioned a boom but not any movement. Sink holes as far as I know just go down but can be rather large.

Think I'd move asap.

Go to sleep quite contented but wake up at bottom of a giant hole, covered in debris that used to be your house? (or worse)

Noooooo.

#11    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,934 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

I agree with you Eldorado. I'd be wanting to go. It doesn't say if a geological team is studying what happened. I hope so. If it's escaping gases, they can be toxic. If it's a sinkhole it can swallow up a large area. It looks to be in woods so that's lucky I guess.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#12    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,934 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

This site seems to be going with sinkhole due to heavy rain in the area. They didn't mention if there was water in the bottom of the crack.
http://watchermeetup....php?f=4&t=6822

I've seen a couple sinkholes here in the area where I live. One cracked the foundation of a home including the front porch and one cracked the end of a cement bridge over a creek that had to be re-built. However they didn't open cracks like that. The ground just sank, it didn't rise up. That's why they're called sinkholes. Sounds like some agencies were contacted to examine this crack. Be interesting to see what they find.

I'm sure it's not the result of the shifting of the Earth's axis as one site suggested. There's a normal explanation.

Edited by susieice, 10 October 2010 - 12:10 AM.

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,214 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

They need a crack detective.

#14    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,934 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

LOL. :yes:

#15    hellozebra

hellozebra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

You haven't seen anything yet... Precursors to something beyond mind blowing, things we didn't even know the earth could do.  She's a tricky lady!  Have you seen this... (I realize most people have, but on the off chance...)

Posted Image

View Postsusieice, on 10 October 2010 - 12:30 AM, said:

LOL. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users