Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Fiction Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostTaun, on 11 September 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Though this was partially in jest - both authors Micheal Moorcock and Philip Dick are excellent... I especially enjoy Moorcocks' "Eternal Hero" series - particularly "The Jewel In The Skull", and "Elric of Melnibonie (sp)"...

Absolutely. I've thumbed through a lot of Dick and endless Moorcock! ;)
I can't believe that apart from one poor effort at Jerry Cornelius (The Final Programme), none of the Eternal Champion novels have been filmed.

If you ever fancy something similar try Jack Vance's 'Dying Earth' novels or Fred Saberhagen's 'Empire of the East' and his whole series of books of the swords.

Vance and Saberhagen are both absolutely first rate.

For that matter, if you are reading Saberhagen then check out the Berserker novels. Proper sci-fi ;)

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

The 2 most famous ones: the Bible and the Qur'an: lots of action slaughter and mayhem, miraculaous healings, people walking on water, people flying to the skies on a white horse, spontaneously burning bushes, zombies rising from their graves, people trumpetting a huge wall to pieces, two people populating the whole earth, parting seas, angry gods, and so on, and so on.

I just love it.

Edited by Abramelin, 12 September 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#33    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Gaiman's short fiction is great - I got hooked on him with "Closing Time".  Also the McSweeney's Mammoth Treasuries are neat.  And I recently found a book of short stories I had read years ago titled The Graveyard Companion by a father and son (Gray and Shaun Usher) - great tales, well written and creepy.

#34    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

View PostTaun, on 28 October 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

Anything by HP Lovecraft...
IMO he makes Stephen King's stories read like "Rebecca of Sunnybrooke Farm"...

H.P.'s whole cthulhu mytho's stories are awesome but you have to read Robert E. Howard's stories along those lines. Wow good stuff.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#35    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

In short fiction, I am fond of Ray Bradbury, Montague Rhodes James, Russell Kirk, Arthur Machen, and Guy de Maupassant.

Edited by Ambush Bug, 19 September 2012 - 06:49 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#36    Wookietim

Wookietim

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

• Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 19 September 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

In short fiction, I am fond of Ray Bradbury, Montague Rhodes James, Russell Kirk, Arthur Machen, and Guy de Maupassant.

I might also toss Connie Willis body of short stories into the discussion... She has a tendency to write a "Comedy of Manners" type story (Which are always good in her hands) but when she decided to go for the throat she could do it and make it look easy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users