Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scottish Yeti Attack

Talon

A ghosthunter rescued from Scotland’ second highest peak was claimed he was attacked by a mysterious yeti.

Tom Robertson, 68, was led to safety by mountain rescuers after a ten-hour ordeal on Ben MacDhui in the Cairngorms.

He and a pal had been hunting for the legendary Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui – Mountain of the Black Pig in Gaelic.

But yesterday he insisted a 12ft high yeti-type creature attacked the tent he was sleeping in near the 4,296ft summit.

He maintains he may have strong evidence of its existence – a series of pots showed 2ft long footprints in gravel at their camp site. Mr Robertson said; "At about 1am after we climbed in to our sleeping bags we heard the footsteps of something coming to the tent and heard mumbling noises outside.”

Moments later the side of the two-man tent, perched 4,000ft up the peak, caved in.

“I lokked up through the air vent in the roof and saw a large arm crashing down.

“The figure of what seemed like a yeti was standing over the tent, then all hell broke lose and it was trying to get on at us.

“I remember something landed on my foot. My toes are black, kind of bruised.”

“I have never been so scared in all the 60 years I have been interested in such things.

“I don’t know what it is but it wasn’t human. I reckon it could be the Grey Man or something from outer space.”

The pair were soaking wet after heavy rain poured into the damaged tent overnight.

At 4am they set off down the hill but almost two miles on Tom was too exhausted and fell ill half-way down. He was wrapped up in sleeping bags and left to rest.

Pal Derek Blake, 32, battled on and raised the alarm three miles away at the Cairngorm Ski centre.

Source: Daily Star 28 July 2004

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr_halo

• Seraphina

• Fluffybunny

• Talon

hmmmm a yeti in scotland, i've never heard about any yeti's in the united kingdom, i wonder if the bloke was telling the truth, how unusual

yeah imagine being 4,296ft, thats bad enough, but then to be attacked by a 12ft yeti thing, i mean what would you do, no ones prepared for that kind of thing to happen...

yeah imagine being 4,296ft, thats bad enough, but then to be attacked by a 12ft yeti thing, i mean what would you do, no ones prepared for that kind of thing to happen...

4,296 feet isn't really that high, most people who have done back country hiking or camping has likely been at higher elevations... it's not bad at all tongue.gif

As far as being prepared.. most people here know my stand on that one.. user posted image

Ive read about the Grey Man of Ben MacDhui.

One of the more interesting Cryptocreatures(cant think of the word) that ive ever read about.

Ill find the book and post some info in a min or two.

Edit: Couldnt find the book sorry, what I do remember is that in all the encounters with it the person involved was overcome with a very strong sense of terror.

Edited by Cradle of Fish

The only info I could find on the Big Grey Man was from a really old book that I got at about the age of 8. It's pretty patronising but I'll put it in.

A Scottish mountain has its own Giant. Ben MacDhui in the Cairngorms, has the Big Grey Man. Many experienced climbers claim to have seen him. The huge grey figure has feet like a bird of prey and pointed ears. It must be very difficult to see them though - they are about 6 metres off the ground!

Just a thought, maybe the Yeti creature actually was the Big Grey Man, in which case, the bloke found exactly what he was looking for.

All I can picture is a tall furry guy with a kilt, and a bag of take-out haggis.

So Talon, have you been around there recently? tongue.gif

All I can picture is a tall furry guy with a kilt, and a bag of take-out haggis.

So Talon, have you been around there recently?  tongue.gif

tongue.gif Hahaha

Somelike this? huh.gif

user posted image

hmmmm a yeti in scotland, i've never heard about any yeti's in the united kingdom, i wonder if the bloke was telling the truth, how unusual

Been around for a while, Wales has one as well

Link

Link

Somelike this? huh.gif

w00t.gif

You made me blow Diet Coke out of my nose on that one...ouch...

Very funny... thumbsup.gif

what no kilt, what are you playing at the yeti's package would get freezing up in that high mountain, he would definantly wear a kilt, no doubt about it...

Hey Tal, I thought you said you refused to post any pics of yourself online huh.gif

You know, way back when I joined the thread, I started a topic on the big grey man...I'm hurt nobody remembers it crying.gif

Edited by Seraphina

just found this...

Ferla mohr

The Ferla mohr ("big grey man") is the biggest of Scotland's several

mystery primates, and, if it is real, is probably the biggest primate

in the world. The Ferla mohr (who has many other names in at least 2

languages) is an aggressive gray colored ape who stands 20 feet tall and

lives in mountainous areas. There are legends of these and similar ape

giants throughout the British Isles, where they were greatly feared and

have been known to steal humans who enter there mountainous homes.

Somehow, I think twenty feet tall is a gigantic exageration tongue.gif (no pun intended huh.gif)

Darn, I wish my website was still up and accessible, then I wouldn't have to cut and paste all this stuff... grin2.gif

1890 - Ben MacDhui, Cairngorms, Scotland

Professor Norman Collie climbed Ben MacDhui alone in 1890, as he told the members of the Annual General Meeting of the Cairngorm Club during their 1925 gathering, when he heard the sound of noises in the loose rock behind him coming down from the natural cairn on the high plateau. He said 'someone was walking after me, but taking steps three or four times the length of my own'. Dismissing this as an aural hallucination, he continued, but so did the mysterious steps. Gradually he became apprehensive, then fearful, then terrified, whereupon he fled down the mountain for five miles until he reached Rothiemurchus Forest.

(He had spoken of this encounter many years before on the other side of the world and it was been published in a New Zealand newspaper in 1902.)

Following his disclosure in 1902 he received a letter from Dr A.M.Kellas detailing his own odd experience on that mountain. Dr Kellas and his brother Henry were on the mountain close to the summit when they saw a 'giant figure' approaching them from the direction of the cairn. For a moment it slipped out of sight as it moved into a dip, but the men did not hang around to wait, and instead ran as fast as their legs could take them away down the slopes.

(In 1922, Dr Kellas died during the Mount Everest Reconnaissance expedition.) 

1940s

One story related to the author of 'The Big Grey Man Of Ben MacDhui' Affleck Gray by a man called Richard Frere told of a friend of his who decided to spend a night camping on the top of the mountain. In his tent near the cairn he began to suffer a feeling of morbidity and a sense of unreality but finally fell asleep.

He woke up with moonlight shining through a gap into his tent and suddenly realised that he could see something brownish between himself and the moon. Horrified, he froze, and waited for the thing to move away. When it did, he looked out into the brilliant moonlight and saw a large brown creature 'swaggering' away down the mountain side. He said the creature had 'an air of insolent strength' about it. Incredibly, he estimated the height of the thing to be twenty feet, and described it as having an erect posture, broad shoulders and a tapering waist. 

The sightings of strange creatures are not the only things people have experienced while on the mountain or in the area.

Frere accompanied Peter Densham, a rescue worker in the Cairngorms during the World War II, as he searched for a crashed aircraft. When they were near to the cairn Densham heard his friend speaking to someone. Nobody was there, and when he approached Frere, Densham suddenly began speaking also to something unseen. The next moment both men realised that there was nobody there and stopped speaking. Afterwards he could not remember what was said and to whom he had been speaking.

Wendy Wood, author of 'The Secret Of Spey' approached the pass of Lairig Ghru in winter whereupon she heard a voice. She described the voice as being of 'gigantic resonance' and reminiscent of Gaelic. After a brief and brave scouting out of the local area to see if she could find the person she had heard speaking, she realised that she was indeed alone. When she hurried away, she could hear footsteps following her as if immediately behind. At first she thought the footfalls to be echoes of her own, but then noticed that they did not coincide or correspond to her own footsteps.

Other people have reported being in the area and suddenly overwhelmed by either a feeling of utter panic, or a downward turning of their thoughts which made them incredibly depressed, or both. 

Cairngorms 1990s

In the early 1990s a group of three men walked along a forestry plantation track in the countryside close to Aberdeen when one saw ahead a 'dark human-shaped' figure run from the left of the track to the right about 200 yards ahead. He felt a 'sense of terror and foreboding'. His friends had not seen the creature but when they looked ahead they saw a face looking at them from between the branches, a face which was 'human... but not human'. One man threw a stone at it and it disappeared into the trees.

A few weeks after this encounter the trio were driving towards Torphins near Aberdeen when their car was pursued by the very same type of creature. They reported this dark, tall being running alongside their car as they drove at close to 45 mph. Eventually it gave up the chase and simply stood in the middle of the road and peered after the car.

A female friend of one of the men later told him that while she had been staying in a cottage in the countryside near there, she had seen a 'dark, hairy figure' standing just inside the treeline nearby watching the building on two occasions. After a while, it moved off into the undergrowth. 

Nothing wrong with Kilts and Haggis... being a furry guy on the other hand is something I'm glad I'm not.