Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

ancient bridge from india to sri lanka

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:31 AM

Could we discuss this topic a bit? What's everyone's take on this? Natural or man-made? The indian story about this bridge is also interesting.

http://www.rense.com...eral30/nasa.htm

NASA Images Find 1,750,000
Year Old Man-Made Bridge
The Hindustan Times
10-10-2

WASHINGTON (PTI) -- The NASA Shuttle has imaged a mysterious ancient bridge between India and Sri Lanka, as mentioned in the Ramayana.

The evidence, say experts matter-of-factly, is in the Digital Image Collection.

The recently discovered bridge, currently named as Adam's Bridge and made of a chain of shoals, 30 km long, in the Palk Straits between India and Sri Lanka, reveals a mystery behind it.

The bridge's unique curvature and composition by age reveals that it is man-made. Legend as well as Archeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago and the bridge's age is also almost equivalent.

?
http://www.hindustan..._81164,0003.htm

Courtesy NASA Digital Image Collection

Space images taken by NASA reveal a mysterious ancient bridge in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka. The recently discovered bridge currently named as Adam&laqno;s Bridge is made of chain of shoals, c.18 mi (30 km) long.

The bridge&laqno;s unique curvature and composition by age reveals that it is man made. The legends as well as Archeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the a primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago and the bridge&laqno;s age is also almost equivalent.

This information is a crucial aspect for an insight into the mysterious legend called Ramayana, which was supposed to have taken place in tredha yuga (more than 1,700,000 years ago).

In this epic, there is a mentioning about a bridge, which was built between Rameshwaram (India) and Srilankan coast under the supervision of a dynamic and invincible figure called Rama who is supposed to be the incarnation of the supreme.

This information may not be of much importance to the archeologists who are interested in exploring the origins of man, but it is sure to open the spiritual gates of the people of the world to have come to know an ancient history linked to the Indian mythology.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#2    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,236 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:13 AM

US space agency NASA says pictures taken by its astronauts do not prove the existence or otherwise of a manmade Ram Setu bridge as mentioned in the Hindu epic Ramayana. "I am not aware of any carbon dating either," said NASA spokesman Michael Braukus, refuting claims by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that the agency had the Adam's bridge in Palk Strait - known as Ram Setu in India - carbon dated as being 1.7 million years old.

"Some people have taken pictures by our astronauts to make their claim. No position can be taken on the basis of these photographs in any way," Braukus said when asked to comment on the controversy surrounding the site of the proposed Rs 24 billion Sethusamudram canal project off India's southern tip.

"The age, substratum, geological structure or anthropological status of the ocean bed in Palk strait cannot be determined by the astronauts' photographs. So there is no basis for these claims," Braukus said.

Back in October 2002 too the US agency had rebutted a story circulated by an Indian news agency based on claims made by a couple of NRI websites and Hindu news services that "space images taken by NASA" had revealed "a mysterious ancient bridge in the Palk Strait".

"Remote sensing images or photographs from orbit cannot provide direct information about the origin or age of a chain of islands, and certainly cannot determine whether humans were involved in producing any of the patterns seen," NASA official Mark Hess had said then.

"The mysterious bridge was nothing more than a 30 km long, naturally-occurring chain of sandbanks called Adam's bridge," Hess had added. "NASA had been taking pictures of these shoals for years. Its images had never resulted in any scientific discovery in the area.

"The images reproduced on the websites may well be ours, but their interpretation is certainly not ours," Hess had said, referring to the NRI websites.

The report on the Internet that had appeared five years ago had also claimed "archaeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to...about 1.75 million years ago" as does the age of the bridge.

The controversy over the Sethusamudram canal project had got a new lease of life on Wednesday when Vishwa Hindu Parishad activists blocked roads all over India to protest the project that, they say, will damage Ram Setu.

The same day, the government submitted an affidavit in the Supreme Court in which the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) said there were no historical records to prove the existence of a manmade Ram Setu. The Ramayana says Lord Ram's army had built a bridge across the sea to Lanka (now Sri Lanka) on their way to battle the demon king Ravana.

The affidavit prepared by ASI had gone on to say there were no historical records to prove the existence of Lord Ram either, sparking off a furore with the BJP alleging the affidavit had hurt the faith of millions of Hindus and the government scrambling for damage control with the promise that it would "amend its mistake" and submit a fresh supplementary affidavit to the Supreme Court on Friday.

Photos no proof of Ram Setu: NASA

Sadly, another misrepresentation of the facts.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#3    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:44 AM

Thank you cormac! I appreciate it

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#4    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,440 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 19 November 2010 - 03:31 AM, said:

Could we discuss this topic a bit? What's everyone's take on this? Natural or man-made? The indian story about this bridge is also interesting.
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=186465

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Look at the next image:

Posted Image

It's how The Netherlands would look without dikes.

The string of islands would be nothing but islands/dunes formed by the sea.

Just like this 'bridge' in the Baltic:

Posted Image

I think Rama's Bridge is a natural formation (coral reefs, and, and).

http://en.wikipedia....am's_Bridge

Edited by Abramelin, 19 November 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

If you take a good and hard look at some real satellite images ( not the retouched stuff presented there) you will find that the so called bridge is but several coral reefs, not uncommon in those waters:

Posted Image

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,516 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Neat pics, and some cool story action I hadn't read before, thanks!! Extra thanks for the follow up on what's really happening there :)

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Bridges in the Antarctic??

Posted Image

#9    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

Thank you everyone its the extra info gained in these threads that makes even this thread worth while. I appreciate it.

Thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users