Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Apollo 11 post-flight press conference

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#106    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

And here's a favourite of mine. I call it...

Hey - Apollo Hoaxers, you know what we think?

Posted Image

#107    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

View PostObviousman, on 19 December 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

And here's a favourite of mine. I call it...

Hey - Apollo Hoaxers, you know what we think?

Posted Image

:w00t:

God bless all those guys....

#108    turbonium

turbonium

Government Agent

• 4,325 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

The Shuttle astronauts seem to be quite jovial in their post-mission press conferences, etc. - and they just stayed in LEO.

The Apollo 11 crew is inside a capsule, smiling out to their wives. And they look very happy to be heroes in a grand parade.

But nothing is happy when they have to answer some questions from the press. To me, they look shameful at times, nervous, and seem to dread being there in general.

And they can't even answer on their own, it's all being fed to them on hidden screens?

If they really did fly to the moon and back, they wouldn't need answers fed to them. Only those three COULD answer such questions as - could they could see stars from the moon, or to describe the soil, etc. Nobody else could answer for them - but they did - and it's utterly ridiculous.

#109    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

View Postturbonium, on 26 December 2010 - 11:22 AM, said:

The Shuttle astronauts seem to be quite jovial in their post-mission press conferences, etc. - and they just stayed in LEO.

What they, by and large, just did was execute an extremely busy and often difficult mission...the trip of a lifetime in a magnificent vehicle, to a magnificent vehicle.  
They are happy, as they should be upon completing such an impeccable flight, as they all do routinely.

The Apollo 11 crew is inside a capsule, smiling out to their wives. And they look very happy to be heroes in a grand parade.

Most people would be.

But nothing is happy when they have to answer some questions from the press. To me, they look shameful at times, nervous, and seem to dread being there in general.

They smiled.   But by and large, they simply narrated their flight in detail.  

To you, they would look shameful, nervous and in a state of dread.
That is no surprise to me, nor anyone else here I should think.
What they were was tired, exposed to the public in ways that few astronauts, if any, have been since.   This was not their bag, as-it-were, and this has been explained many, many times.

And they can't even answer on their own, it's all being fed to them on hidden screens?

that's a new one...not original, but new nonetheless.
No, no one "fed them answers on hidden screens".  Neil Armstrong and crew were perfectly capable of answering the questions put to them about their trip, which of course they did.  The notion is ridiculous.

If they really did fly to the moon and back, they wouldn't need answers fed to them. Only those three COULD answer such questions as - could they could see stars from the moon, or to describe the soil, etc. Nobody else could answer for them

IOf course not, and no one did answer for them, ever.  Because they did go to the Moon, and back, just like John Young and Tom Stafford and Gene Cernan had before them, and Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders before them.

- but they did - and it's utterly ridiculous.

You're right about that.  The very notion, which of course is speculative nonsense, and completely unprovable by you, or anyone, anywhere, is utterly ridiculous.

#110    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• 3,432 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Go ahead and ridicule guys, its what you do best :) But know this. Truth wants to be known. They cannot hide it forever :)

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 14 December 2010 - 11:57 PM, said:

The behavior is odd as these men were hot shots, test pilots and ego maniacs. This would have been a time to shine so yes there behavior is off imo.

Indeed, thank you for being objective :)

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#111    danielins

danielins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

hi guys, sorry to dig up an old thread.. pretty much created this account to ask a single question.. I could never deal with the frustration of arguing with people like the OP, clearly a good-natured guy but ignorant and silly nonetheless.

Anyhow: I was wondering if any of you know whether Neil Armstrong (RIP) had a stutter? As someone who used to stutter, there are a few moments - certainly the most awkward in a pretty awkward press conference - when I can feel in Armstrong's body language the kind of panic that grabs you when you realize you're about to stutter or choke on a word.

If Armstrong did indeed stutter, it would definitely help explain why he seems particularly uncomfortable in this interview - one which was being watched by hundreds of millions of people the world over, propelling him into a mythical status of immortality that few humans in the history of our species can even remotely compare to. Somewhere deep down he knew that him, this kid from Ohio, was going to be in the history books, forever. His name would be up there next to Jesus Christ himself.

As a former stutterer, I can safely say a situation like that might make me sound a bit weird.

Edited by danielins, 06 September 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#112    Obviousman

Obviousman

• 1,617 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi and welcome!

To the best of my knowledge, he wasn't a stutterer.

#113    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,334 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I'd also like to welcome you to UM... And thanks for resurrecting this thread... I'd never read it before and some of the posts were ... um... entertaining... to say the least...

I don't know of any astronaut that had a stutter - though in the movie "The Right Stuff" they had John Glenn's wife with a stutter (not sure if that's real or not)...

The thing is, these guys were engineers... And one thing I've learned about engineers over the years is that many of them are brilliant - sort of 'practical scientists'... but few of them are public speakers...  When I looked at the video in this thread, i saw three bone tired engineers, being extremely careful with their speech because they were facing reporters.... Not because they were trying to hide anything... There was nothing to hide... They just didn't want to be in the limelight ....

The poster that listed a few 'tells' that marked them as 'liars' in his opinion... neglected to point out that those same tells that indicate 'falsehood' can also indicate 'shyness'....

#114    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,209 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Oh for  Chr**** sake, now Armstrong was a stutterer.

Maybe that was an affliction enforced on him by the moon men who dodged moon boulders and sprinkled moon dust on him and his crew so they were moon tired when they came back to Earth.

I have read the posts on this thread. I am certain that some posters are moon men who want to be as famous as Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. Unfortunately, they haven't got the brains, guts and ability that those 3 have.

Plus the fact NASA won't send them into space.

Damn. I guess they'll just have to keep bitc***.

#115    danielins

danielins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostAntilles, on 06 September 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Oh for  Chr**** sake, now Armstrong was a stutterer.

Maybe that was an affliction enforced on him by the moon men who dodged moon boulders and sprinkled moon dust on him and his crew so they were moon tired when they came back to Earth.

Yep. Thats pretty much what I was trying to say. Good job at reading between the lines man!

..Or maybe you should relax, read what I actually posted, and realize you're overreacting to a pretty innocuous question.

Anyway, for everyone else, thanks for the welcome. I'm not much of a message board person so I won't be around much. I'm just a guy who has had a lifelong love affair with the Apollo missions, saw this thread, and became curious.

Back on topic.. I had never heard of Armstrong being a stutterer either, which is why I asked. But the more I watch videos of his public appearances, I think he may have had a mild speech impediment, one he possibly never mentioned publicly. I'm NOT trying to accuse Armstrong of anything, just that his mannerisms indicate some slight stuttering issues when he's being probed by the public eye.

Again, this is something I feel I have at least some authority on, having a (suppressed) speech impediment myself, unlike some other posters in this thread who think they are capable of detecting "lies" because they saw a hokey 15 minute Youtube video on the subject

Edited by danielins, 08 September 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#116    Obviousman

Obviousman

• 1,617 posts

Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yes, Annie Glenn does stutter but not as badly as she did when she was younger.

#117    Halcyon Dayz

Halcyon Dayz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

It's funny how the CTs only ever show the first 4 minutes of that hour long press conference.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. - Don Marquis

#118    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,449 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 23 November 2010 - 01:40 AM, said:

Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!
What’s going on? Cheer up!

Three astronauts who just came back from the god damned Moon for the first time (!), instead of being ecstatic and smiling, look like they are on a funeral clutching their hands together or like they shat in their pants.

This is what happens when you threaten people, and make them walk a thin line between saying enough and not saying too much. "For the good of your country" ofcourse! We all have are orders son!

And lastly let me say this - I dont think Apollo 11 was a hoax... I think man was definitely on the Moon... but these people are obviously being threatened and forced to hide something they witnessed during the mission. Armstrong at 0:35 ?? Come on!

One of the single most tenuous conspiracy "theories" I've ever heard.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#119    the_realist

the_realist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostMID, on 24 November 2010 - 01:40 AM, said:

Now that you're on the ET side of the forum, that's fine.  Academics doesn't always find a home here.

You were in the Moon hoax thread, where you'd be held to a level and burden of proof of your contentions which is rather daunting (albeit completely logical) for some.

Moving this here was a mercifully good idea....

And you sir are held to a burden of prove to show that what you are saying is right.

Area 51 suspiciously has an area in their desert regions in which looks exactly like the grainy, black and white pictures beamed back to earth. Where did Mr Armstrong all of a sudden learn to fly so perfectly when less than 30-days earlier he crashed the proto-type to the point they were looking to axe the mission.

Mr Buzz Aldren himself stated they saw things on the moon that he can't explain as anything the mysterious flying objects - it's in his book feel free to pick it up and read it - and so really you can't sit here and claim to people that they have burden of proof.

You, my friend, know as much as I do that the photos available on the internet from NASA and the Apollo 11 flight don't always come with the identification number and so demanding that from people "to show their proof" is nothing but you getting on your "high horse" thinking you are better than everyone else because you know of identification numbers.

You should never believe everything the government tells you because while the left hand is waving at you the right hand is stabbing you in the back.

#120    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

View Postthe_realist, on 07 December 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

and so really you can't sit here and claim to people that they have burden of proof.
Actually he can, as MID actully understands the concept of scientific burden of proof, which you clearly don't.

That which is already considered to be true, in this case the official Apollo story, has no burden of proof, it is considered to have already passed it.

That which is new or at variance from the accepted truth has TOTAL burden of proof.

Unless the new theory can be shown to be true (or at least a better fit of the observed facts) then it is rejected.

Maybe you would like to try again when you understand some very basic principles of scientific logic.

MID has not posted here for a while now, but let me tell you something, MID knows more about Apollo than you ever will. Some of us watched it, a few were involved. MID is in the second category.

Your post is just a rehash of some of the sad, tired hoax nonsense that has been disproved over and over again.

There are two types of people when it comes to the Apollo hoax theory, those that believe it and those that ACTUALLY understand logic and the evidence.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 08 December 2012 - 01:41 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users