Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Apollo 11 post-flight press conference


  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#31    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

    Forum Divinity

  • Closed
  • 13,536 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

I normally read fully through a thread (when it is less than 100 pages :rolleyes: ) before making replies...  But this post by Cz and the earlier post by MID  (post 2 I think?  maybe 3?) pretty much sum up this whole video.

Bravo to these guys for dismantling the fiction that this thread is centered upon.

View PostCzero 101, on 23 November 2010 - 06:25 AM, said:

Part of the problem, as I see it at any rate, is that the younger generation of today have "idols"...

They have NBA players that put showmanship and "shock value" (for lack of a better term) at almost the same level as the skill they have in their sport.

They have NFL players doing little dances and other celebrations in the end zone after a TD.

They have movie stars and recording artists making public spectacles of themselves, hamming it up for the media and whatnot.

The basic similarity through all these public figuers is that they come off as larger than life.

Then they look back 40 years, to a time when this type of media and attention whoring wasn't nearly the norm that it is today. They see three professional, ex-military, ex-test pilot, scientist slash engineers who have come back from the journey of a lifetime and the expectation of these younger people is that they should be acting like the "idols" of today.

What they see, however are 3 guys who are calm and sedate, perhaps even reserved and uncomfortable, being thrust into the media spotlight (and for good reason, of course).

We live in a world today where our opinions are delivered to (most of) us by the Media and public buffoonery by our public figures is the norm, and in a lot of case, is what defines their "idol" status. So when some of these younger people (and some older people, too... wouldn't want to be accused of being completely "ageist") see someone who is not acting the way that the "idols" of today act, they form the opinion that "something must be wrong here". They simply can't understand why Neil, Buzz and Mike weren't out there fist-bumping each other, pouring champagne over each other and dancing on the table at the press conference.

In essence, they're comparing apples to rutabagas...




Cz

Just in case anyone missed it in the foreground, here it is again.  Bravo and many thanks Cz and MID! :tu:

Now I'll read the rest of the thread.  Hopefully it hasn't further degraded into the realm of woo woo.


#32    TheUniversalMind

TheUniversalMind

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2010

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

Nobody kicks a dead dog. And that is why we are... ∞

Science is to see what everyone else has seen and to think what no one else has thought” - Nobel Prize Winner Albert-Szent Gyorgi

And yes, bravo for stepping stones- these keep us strong.  :tu:

Edited by TheUniversalMind, 24 November 2010 - 03:54 AM.


#33    Czero 101

Czero 101

    Earthshattering Kaboom

  • Member
  • 5,188 posts
  • Joined:24 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver, BC

  • We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 24 November 2010 - 01:31 AM, said:

Uh.... this is not an academic debate and i dont feel any pressure for proof.... I just posted the video so people can see it, and so we can exchange viewpoints without pressure :)

Fair enough... You are of course free to believe whatever you want to, and to express those beliefs, but if your interpretation and opinion are all the evidence you have, then it will remain just a belief with little to no real foundation in reality.




Cz

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien

"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." – H. L. Mencken

#34    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

    Forum Divinity

  • Closed
  • 13,536 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

So much for my woo woo hopes.  The degradation didn't appear to lessen at all...  but oh well, everyone has reasons for believing as they do I suppose.

Back to the OP though...

I wonder how much public speaking experience these great men had prior to this particular interview.  I honestly don't know the date of this particular video, and unless I'm mistaken, it wasn't in the OP.

Had any of them actually done much public speaking prior to this?

Not that it really matters, I suppose, considering how many other things can have a direct impact on public speaking.  But I am honestly curious and would appreciate it if anyone can shed light on these questions.

Part of my job entails standing up in front of people I don't know and speaking, and at times it is no easier today than it was when I was first required to do so in high school.  Any number of factors can impact such a thing.  Fatigue is probably one of the biggest, but also frustration with everyday life experience can bleed into one's presentations.  An argument with your significant other the night before or the morning of, for example.  A disagreement with a friend, co-worker, or family member.  Bad traffic en route to the speaking event.  An email that throws you off kilter.  A news story that strikes you with particular negativity as you're drinking your coffee.  Virtually anything.

Attributing vain imaginings to the apparent demeanor of these gentleman is nothing more than words two and three in this very sentence.

Nuff said.

(But I'm still curious about the above questions if anyone knows.  Just for my general understanding of the history surrounding these men who've accomplished such an amazing thing.)


#35    quillius

quillius

    52.0839° N, 1.4328° E

  • Member
  • 4,983 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:LONDON

  • A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 24 November 2010 - 05:41 AM, said:

So much for my woo woo hopes.  The degradation didn't appear to lessen at all...  but oh well, everyone has reasons for believing as they do I suppose.

Back to the OP though...

I wonder how much public speaking experience these great men had prior to this particular interview.  I honestly don't know the date of this particular video, and unless I'm mistaken, it wasn't in the OP.

Had any of them actually done much public speaking prior to this?

Not that it really matters, I suppose, considering how many other things can have a direct impact on public speaking.  But I am honestly curious and would appreciate it if anyone can shed light on these questions.

Part of my job entails standing up in front of people I don't know and speaking, and at times it is no easier today than it was when I was first required to do so in high school.  Any number of factors can impact such a thing.  Fatigue is probably one of the biggest, but also frustration with everyday life experience can bleed into one's presentations.  An argument with your significant other the night before or the morning of, for example.  A disagreement with a friend, co-worker, or family member.  Bad traffic en route to the speaking event.  An email that throws you off kilter.  A news story that strikes you with particular negativity as you're drinking your coffee.  Virtually anything.

Attributing vain imaginings to the apparent demeanor of these gentleman is nothing more than words two and three in this very sentence.

Nuff said.

(But I'm still curious about the above questions if anyone knows.  Just for my general understanding of the history surrounding these men who've accomplished such an amazing thing.)

Hi all, I also would like to ask the same question posed by Boon regarding other interviews/public speaking. In addition does anyone know the timeline involved- how long after landing was the interview held?

thanks


#36    Obviousman

Obviousman

    Spaced out and plane crazy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Coast, NSW, Australia

  • "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

So what we have is:

1) Request for proof of that images are genuine - NOT PROVIDED

2) Subjective opinion that people are not telling truth. Proof - NOT PROVIDED

Claim disproved.


#37    flyingswan

flyingswan

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,846 posts
  • Joined:13 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 24 November 2010 - 03:18 AM, said:





This guy explains it great!
Would you really suggest that guilt or innocence is determined on the FBI's say-so?

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true" - Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
In which case it is fortunate that:
"Science is the best defense against believing what we want to" - Ian Stewart (1945- )

#38    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

  • Member
  • 24,472 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

I've always wondered what would happen when proponents of the "we never went to the moon" and the "Apollo astronauts discovered extraterrestrials/evidence of ancient civilisations on the moon" arguments come together. I wonder if there's anyone who manages to hold both ideas simultaneously?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#39    BertL

BertL

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined:07 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

The only alien beings who were on the Moon were the 12 Apollo astronauts. :lol:

Hello there.

#40    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

    Warrior of Light

  • Member
  • 3,432 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Serbia

  • .....This moment contains all moments.....

    ...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

View Postquillius, on 24 November 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

does anyone know the timeline involved- how long after landing was the interview held?

thanks


Hi quillius :)


The interview was held on August 12 1969. in Houston, Texas

The Apollo 11 space flight landed the first humans on Earth's Moon on July 20, 1969

The interview was held 23 days after the Moon landing :) (3 weeks after)


View Post747400, on 24 November 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

I've always wondered what would happen when proponents of the "we never went to the moon" and the "Apollo astronauts discovered extraterrestrials/evidence of ancient civilisations on the moon" arguments come together.

I wonder if there's anyone who manages to hold both ideas simultaneously?


Hehe :) I think the moon landings were real. The Russians tracked them very closely. If they had been fake, the Russians would have been the first to shout about it. It was the Cold war after all :) The Russians have never claimed the moon landings were fake. Such claims only arise from greed (selling books) and ignorance about physics and photography.


Its just the stuff they witnessed on the moon and/or during the flight that they are told to shut up :)

Do the people who just completed the greatest accomplishent in human history look like this?


Posted Image



Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!
What’s going on? Cheer up!

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#41    BertL

BertL

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined:07 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostSolarPlexus, on 24 November 2010 - 05:26 PM, said:

Do the people who just completed the greatest accomplishent in human history look like this?


Posted Image



Hey guys! you’ve just went to the moon!
What’s going on? Cheer up!
Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

Posted Image

The press conference was one of the first things the Apollo 11 astronauts had to do after weeks of waiting in quarantine, not being able to actually have physical interactions with, for example, their wives. Obviously, this quarantine more or less took away the fun.

Hello there.

#42    TheUniversalMind

TheUniversalMind

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2010

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

View PostBertL, on 24 November 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

Posted Image

The press conference was one of the first things the Apollo 11 astronauts had to do after weeks of waiting in quarantine, not being able to actually have physical interactions with, for example, their wives. Obviously, this quarantine more or less took away the fun.

Yes, The Quarantine, Baby. This is beautiful!...

First: The 'Landing'...

Second: The Quarantine- no contact with the "world", or monitored minute telephone/radio contact with love ones...

....follow by...

Third: The Detailed Mandating Extensive Briefing...  :unsure:  

...and finally,

Fourth: The "Enthusiastic" News Conference.


Thank you so much for your contributions. They are very much appreciated.


#43    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

  • Member
  • 24,472 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

View PostBertL, on 24 November 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

Posted Image

The press conference was one of the first things the Apollo 11 astronauts had to do after weeks of waiting in quarantine, not being able to actually have physical interactions with, for example, their wives. Obviously, this quarantine more or less took away the fun.
Undoubtedly the safest place to be in that kind of company.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#44    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

    Forum Divinity

  • Closed
  • 13,536 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

View Post747400, on 24 November 2010 - 06:38 PM, said:

Undoubtedly the safest place to be in that kind of company.
:lol: Now that was funny. :tu:


#45    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

    Warrior of Light

  • Member
  • 3,432 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Serbia

  • .....This moment contains all moments.....

    ...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostBertL, on 24 November 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

Actually, the people who just completed the greatest accomplishment in human history look more like this, SolarPlexus.

Posted Image



Now thats more like it :) Thats how they should look!


But its easy to laugh from inside the quarantine... its another thing when the WHOLE WORLD is watching YOU!



Posted Image



Posted Image



Posted Image




I feel sorry for them :( ... its not their fault, they are honest people...

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users