Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Incandescent Light Bulbs are evil


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Answer42

Answer42

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

Incandescent light bulbs have been given a report card. They are slated to be phased our are will be phased out soon.
Wikipeida Phase-out of incandescent light bulbsFor me this smacks of greed and money but not to save you any. The cost of compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs are 3 to 4 times that of an ordinary bulb and you even get the added bonus of a hazardous chemical in the CFL bulbs. Do not even think of buying enough LED lights to really light a house unless it is owned by a doll. Additionally there is problem of the types of spectrum "put out" by the different bulbs.Posted Image My wife does a good deal of sewing, bead work, and crafty type things. This requires a good deal of color recognition and close work. We use a combination of CFL ($2.50 each) and for the real close work, a halogen desk lamp and full spectrum incandescent bulbs ($2.60 for 4 of the incandescent bulbs). Both go out periodically and that is a problem when the CFL fails because of the cost. The CFL bulbs fail routinely. As for the heat produced from the regular incandescent bulbs this is plus in the winter. We live in a mild climate and one incandescent light bulb gives off enough heat to make a difference. Try using a CFL to hatch eggs in a brooder or one small enough to fit many microscopes. In short banning the incandescent bulb will create problems not solve them. My largest portion of my electric bill is based on the use of the cooling and heating units not how many lights I leave on in the house. I guess you can use alternates for many things but why fix what is not broken.

I am aware of other countries and the problems they may have with electricity use. But I do not fit that category. Ban them where it seems matter. Make the alternate light bulb technologies much cheaper.

Nothing is normal because change happens and you can not stop it.
...You will find that it is you who are mistaken. About a great many things...Palpatine Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

#2    Wickian

Wickian

    Doppelganger

  • Member
  • 4,170 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

  • Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I always thought it was hilarious when people try to pull the "environment" card on incandescent bulbs and praise fluorescent ones.  Aside from the bio-hazard you mentioned, most fluorescent lights are imported from out of the country.  That's what I've read anyway.


#3    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,756 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostWickian, on 26 November 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

I always thought it was hilarious when people try to pull the "environment" card on incandescent bulbs and praise fluorescent ones.  Aside from the bio-hazard you mentioned, most fluorescent lights are imported from out of the country.  That's what I've read anyway.

Which means that the US industry has overslept another future technology.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    crystal sage

crystal sage

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,372 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:09 AM

The old lights were not evil... the new ones are !!!!



The CFL lights are made with mercury.. that slowly leaks into the environment.. and you need to get rid of "spent" ones or broken ones carefully..

Quote

They're breakable, contain toxic material, and are becoming increasingly commonplace. But fears of mercury poisoning from new energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs are overplayed, experts say.
But CFLs' cool-burning illumination is made possible by a pinch of poison—about five milligrams of mercury sealed inside every glass tube—and the need for the element is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin and long-lived environmental contaminant, and even the small amount present in CFLs poses a problem. When the bulbs break, either in the house or at a waste disposal site, their mercury content is released.

My link


As it is impossible to buy incandescent lights in Australia.. as the Government decided it for us..  :angry2: ..

As our lights kept blowing anyway, we decided to replace all our light fittings with halogen lights.. since then our energy bill has doubled ...

The guys who installed them last year said that it would reduce our energy bill !!!



maybe because..

Quote


Risks•There are a few types of things that can make halogen bulbs dangerous. These include heat, risk of explosion, being top heavy and the potential to ignite combustible liquids or fumes.
High Heat
•Halogen light bulbs can reach temperatures much higher than traditional light bulbs. According to the New York State Fire Administration, a 300 W halogen bulb can reach temperatures as high as 970 degrees F. This high level of heat generation can potentially cause ignition of combustible fluids or fumes nearby.


My link

Quote

Incandescent lamps are not a source of ultraviolet radiation, and do not normally need UV filters. Incandescents do, however, generate heat (infrared radiation, or IR), which should be considered when illuminating plants or materials subject to drying damage.

and it appears that Tungston is radioactive..


Quote

It is true that halogen bulbs used in lighting fixtures release some UV radiation, but at a low level.

Read more: Are Halogen Lights Dangerous? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz16RH0hvsc


Dangers of LED lights..


And as my house now has about 100 tungsten lights...   :(



Quote

Fluorescent Dangers
Fluorescent lights emit microwave radiation.

Exposure to microwave radiation has been linked to cancer, childhood leukemia, autism, ADD and birth defects, while the toxic effects of mercury have been linked to alzheimers and brain damage.

Some common symptoms associated with fluorescent light exposure are:
•dizziness
•headaches
•blurred vision
•eyestrain
•floaters
•skin rashes
•sinus problems
•fatigue
•nausea
•sleep disturbances
•mood swings
•irritability


Quote

British health officials have warned that the new bulbs could worsen existing skin conditions, like eczema and dermatitis. Skin disorders that are photosensitive could react to the more intense light of fluorescent bulbs, which emit UV rays similar to outdoor exposure levels on a sunny day. Britain’s Health Protection Agency now recommends that people should not be closer than 30 centimetres from the energy-saving variety for more than one hour per day.
There are also concerns that the low-energy bulbs could be linked to headaches, nausea and seizures in people with epilepsy. The British charity Epilepsy Action says that some people with the condition have complained of dizziness, loss of focus and discomfort after being exposed to light from the energy-saving bulbs.
My link


Quote

The effects of lighting on the human functioning development and psychological effects are indeed profound. Try placing seedlings/plants adjacent to an unshielded fluorescent light at the end where the starter unit is located, they will surely wilt and die, (and this is most certainly not attributable to "heat" radiation, a conclusion some may readily jump to). Unshielded fluorescent lights are a menace to mankind and should be replaced by standard Tungsten filament lighting.”
My link


Bring back the old light bulbs !!!!!

Edited by crystal sage, 27 November 2010 - 01:21 AM.


#5    crystal sage

crystal sage

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,372 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:20 AM

I might check out the Full Spectrum light bulbs..  as they sound good..

Quote

Conversely, companies that have switched to full spectrum lights report improved employee morale, greater productivity, reduced errors and decreased absenteeism


My link

But My linkit appears that they are the ones that contain mercury..


:blink:  :unsure2:
What to do... Go back to candle light????


#6    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,030 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

im glad we can still buy incadescent bulbs. it's a much softer and warmer looking light.
i use 25 watt bulbs in all my fixtures except the kitchen and bath. there i use hallogen.


#7    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined:19 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

crystal sage, did you even read the links you posted?

The National Geographic one in particular is very pro-CFL.

Calling mercury a "dangerous neurotoxin" is blatant fear-mongering. Elemental mercury is quite safe - to play with, or even to drink. Long term exposure to elemental mercury vapours can cause problems, of course, but that isn't going to happen with CFLs - they have to be air tight, or they won't work.

Dimethyl mercury is extremely toxic, but there is none of that in CFLs. And don't worry, mercury leaking out of a CFL won't spontaneously methylate.

As for tungsten... Tungsten can be radioactive, but so can any element. (Carbon-13 is radioactive and it is in your body right now!.) The tungsten in your light filaments is not radioactive.

Edited by sepulchrave, 27 November 2010 - 05:26 AM.


#8    crystal sage

crystal sage

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,372 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:23 AM

View Postsepulchrave, on 27 November 2010 - 05:26 AM, said:

crystal sage, did you even read the links you posted?

The National Geographic one in particular is very pro-CFL.

Calling mercury a "dangerous neurotoxin" is blatant fear-mongering. Elemental mercury is quite safe - to play with, or even to drink. Long term exposure to elemental mercury vapours can cause problems, of course, but that isn't going to happen with CFLs - they have to be air tight, or they won't work.

Dimethyl mercury is extremely toxic, but there is none of that in CFLs. And don't worry, mercury leaking out of a CFL won't spontaneously methylate.

As for tungsten... Tungsten can be radioactive, but so can any element. (Carbon-13 is radioactive and it is in your body right now!.) The tungsten in your light filaments is not radioactive.


Unless they get broken.. Why this warning then..

My link


and ..

Quote

Broken Compact Fluorescent LightsRelease Mercury Into the Air: Over 100 Times the EPA Limit



#9    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,756 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

View Postcrystal sage, on 27 November 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

Unless they get broken.. Why this warning then..

My link


and ..


you better get all your fluorescent light tubes out of the house too...they got the same stuff in them.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    Answer42

Answer42

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Elemental mercury is a hazardous substance. The point is the dangerous mercury compounds was derived from the interaction of this and other naturally occurring substances. Mercury vapor has a high potential to cause illness especially in children. Any time we have used mercury in whatever process it was a deal with the devil. Not all mercury contamination is from anthropogenic sources but is present in minerals like cinnabar, a treatment for syphilis. As long as mercury remains sequestered and is not exposed to oxygen it should stay in a less harmful metallic state. When the sediment is disturbed it is exposed to air and the conversion to toxic organic forms of mercury are formed. These are then brought up through the food chain and concentrated at the higher trophic levels. Plants can sequester mercury in its tissues but do not seem to be react adversely.

My original point is simply not to ban incandescent light bulbs or any sort of light bulbs for that matter.

Nothing is normal because change happens and you can not stop it.
...You will find that it is you who are mistaken. About a great many things...Palpatine Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

#11    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined:19 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

View Postcrystal sage, on 27 November 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

Unless they get broken.. Why this warning then..

I'm not saying mercury isn't dangerous, I'm just saying the kind of mercury in CFLs isn't the deadly neurotoxin that your article seemed to insinuate.

Obviously you should limit your exposure to mercury. The main part of the EPA warnings is that you should never vacuum up a mercury spill. Sweep the fragments into a zip lock bag or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and you will be fine.

Your second link, about the Maine study, is also misleading. The actual original report studying breaking CFLs in a small room shows a different picture. Only when a brand new CFL is thoroughly smashed with a hammer in an unventilated room and not cleaned up does a hazardous level of mercury persist within 1' of the break.

If a CFL breaks and you then:
  • Restrain yourself from totally grinding up the CFL fragments, and
  • Immediately sweep the fragments into a zip lock bag or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and
  • Seal the bag or jar, and
  • Open a window or turn on a fan in the room, and
  • Wipe down the floor (or carpet!) with a liquid cleaning agent,
The spill site will be safe in less than 30 minutes.

In other news, you shouldn't turn on the microwave when you have metal objects in it, you should refrain from sticking your head in an oven preheated to 400 F, and you should avoid drinking drain cleaner.

-----------

It's fine to object to the environmental benefit of CFLs based on the manufacturing process. It's fine to not like CFLs because of the colour of the light they produce. It's fine to not want CFLs in your house.

But I really don't like articles which make false claims about the science behind CFLs. Chronic exposure to vapours of elemental mercury can cause serious health problems. But so can exposure to carbon monoxide - yet we still use gas-fired furnaces and gas-fueled cars. Exposure to alpha radiation is definitely a health risk - yet we still use americium in our smoke detectors.

Properly made CFLs are safe to use. If they break, providing proper ventilation to the room and promptly cleaning up the mess will keep you from getting exposed to too much mercury vapour.


#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,000 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 27 November 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

I'm not saying mercury isn't dangerous, I'm just saying the kind of mercury in CFLs isn't the deadly neurotoxin that your article seemed to insinuate.

Obviously you should limit your exposure to mercury. The main part of the EPA warnings is that you should never vacuum up a mercury spill. Sweep the fragments into a zip lock bag or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and you will be fine.

Your second link, about the Maine study, is also misleading. The actual original report studying breaking CFLs in a small room shows a different picture. Only when a brand new CFL is thoroughly smashed with a hammer in an unventilated room and not cleaned up does a hazardous level of mercury persist within 1' of the break.

If a CFL breaks and you then:
  • Restrain yourself from totally grinding up the CFL fragments, and
  • Immediately sweep the fragments into a zip lock bag or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and
  • Seal the bag or jar, and
  • Open a window or turn on a fan in the room, and
  • Wipe down the floor (or carpet!) with a liquid cleaning agent,
The spill site will be safe in less than 30 minutes.

In other news, you shouldn't turn on the microwave when you have metal objects in it, you should refrain from sticking your head in an oven preheated to 400 F, and you should avoid drinking drain cleaner.

-----------

It's fine to object to the environmental benefit of CFLs based on the manufacturing process. It's fine to not like CFLs because of the colour of the light they produce. It's fine to not want CFLs in your house.

But I really don't like articles which make false claims about the science behind CFLs. Chronic exposure to vapours of elemental mercury can cause serious health problems. But so can exposure to carbon monoxide - yet we still use gas-fired furnaces and gas-fueled cars. Exposure to alpha radiation is definitely a health risk - yet we still use americium in our smoke detectors.

Properly made CFLs are safe to use. If they break, providing proper ventilation to the room and promptly cleaning up the mess will keep you from getting exposed to too much mercury vapour.

All very well said.
Let us also point out the fact that despite their higher initial cost they save money over their lifetime. Only 5% of the energy going into a tungsten bulb is converted into useful light - all the rest is wasted heat. that represents money down the drain (especially in warm countries).
Halogens are even worse.
On purely cost grounds CFL's are more than justified - on energy saving and hence pollution reduction - they are essential to a sustainable future.
If correctly disposed of they presnt absolutely no risk to the user or the environmenta and all of the Mercury contained will be recovered and recycled into new CFL bulbs.

Quit the irrational fearmongering.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    Leah G.

Leah G.

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,966 posts
  • Joined:03 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:U.S.A.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hold an EMF detector up to one if you think they are so safe and then go and tell people that are sensitive to that EMF that the rash and other symptoms are all in their heads. Leave my light bulbs alone....


#14    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

    ♔ Princess Usagi SL Serenity

  • Member
  • 8,560 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Moon Kingdom

  • "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

View PostWickian, on 26 November 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

I always thought it was hilarious when people try to pull the "environment" card on incandescent bulbs and praise fluorescent ones.  Aside from the bio-hazard you mentioned, most fluorescent lights are imported from out of the country.  That's what I've read anyway.

Think of the environment!

Yeah. Everything's harmful just like everything's bad for you. >>


#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,000 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

View PostHatch, on 28 November 2010 - 06:43 PM, said:

Hold an EMF detector up to one if you think they are so safe and then go and tell people that are sensitive to that EMF that the rash and other symptoms are all in their heads. Leave my light bulbs alone....

Everything electronic has an EMF field associated with it - thats basic physics.
Maybe you will be giving up you computer because of the evil field it is emitting :lol: How about you mobile phone, or your SMPS or your TV. Get real.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users