Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

U.S. Warns of Threat to Financial Icons

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:18 PM

WASHINGTON - The federal government warned Sunday of possible terrorist attacks against "iconic" financial institutions in New York City, Washington and Newark, N.J., saying a confluence of chilling intelligence in recent days pointed to a car or truck bomb.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

In an unprecedented action, the government named these specific buildings in densely populated areas as potential targets:

Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York City.

The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank buildings in Washington.

Prudential financial in northern New Jersey.

"The preferred means of attack would be car or truck bombs," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in a briefing with journalists. "That would be a primary means of attack," he said.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

Ridge said the government's threat level for financial institutions in just these three cities would be raised to orange, or high alert, but would remain at yellow, or elevated, elsewhere.

Full Article

ph34r.gif  

#2    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

'SPECIFIC' THREAT OF ATTACK

The US increased the terrorist threat level for parts of New York and Washington after receiving intelligence that al Qaeda is to attack specific buildings.                  

Financial services districts of New York, Washington and the northern part of New Jersey state close to New York are now on "high" alert.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said he was "alarmed" by the "specificity" of the intelligence coming in that suggested attacks on the IMF and World Bank in Washington, the Citibank in New York and the Prudential building in New Jersey.      

Mr Ridge said the biggest threat was of attacks using truck bombs.      

"I ask our citizens for their watchful eye as we continue to monitor this situation," Mr Ridge told a press conference.      

He said the intelligence was "unusually specific" although he said there was no information on whether the attacks were imminent.      

"We know where, but we do not know when," Mr Ridge told reporters.      

It means the areas singled out will have their terror threat levels raised from "elevated" to "high".      

Mr Ridge said government security experts were in consultation with financial institutions to discuss how security could be bolstered.      

He admitted that "this is sobering news" and urged Americans to be vigilant.        

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said this was the first such "extraordinary" intelligence report that was related to specific buildings.  

"The principle threat to the financial institutions in New York city is by bombing either through a large vehicular bomb or by an individual trying to smuggle explosives in to a building by backpack or package," Kelly said at a press briefing.  

He said companies should give special attention to parking facilities and should safeguard heating and ventilation systems from "being used to deliver chemical or biological agents".  

"Of the two threats, explosive or chemical, explosives are considered more likely at this time," he added.

Link

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#3    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:50 PM

I would think that any major city in the US would be a target and not just around New York whistling2.gif  

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#4    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,838 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:08 AM

Lol... watch the US expecting a car/truck bomb in New York, and instead being hit 9/11 style in Seattle and Chicago.

I would really like to know... the US says that Al Qaida wants to use WMDs against the US. They planned to use Sarin in Jordan... but what makes them think that right now they're NOT going to use any WMDs in the truck bombs? I think that car/truck bombs would only be a preparatory attack while something bigger is waiting to be executed. You know... they plan for years on something big, and inbetween they do small things to keep the people scared.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#5    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

I'm not sure the LOL was really appropriate when we're talking about terrorist attacks.. huh.gif
They've been talking about possible distraction attacks forever now, but I think in reality it's getting hard enough just to plan and execute a regular attack within our borders without the extremely complicated plot thrown into the deal..

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,838 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Falco Rex @ Aug 2 2004, 01:40 PM)
I'm not sure the LOL was really appropriate when we're talking about terrorist attacks.. huh.gif

Sorry... It was meant to be a sarcastic laugh.

----Seraphina

#7    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:38 PM

I just heard that we want the borders open for the terrorists to come in. That way we can know what the terrrorists are up to and can nab them or deal with them the best possible way. (kill them  wink2.gif  ).

Edited by Babs, 02 August 2004 - 11:38 PM.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#8    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Babs @ Aug 2 2004, 04:38 PM)
I just heard that we want the borders open for the terrorists to come in. That way we can know what the terrrorists are up to and can nab them or deal with them the best possible way. (kill them  wink2.gif  ).

What? What are you referring to?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#9    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:45 AM

mmmm interesting that this is so close to the UK and American elections eh.....

Not that would ever believe our governments to get involved in this sort of jiggerpokery lol.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#10    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

mmmm interesting that this is so close to the UK and American elections eh.....

Not that would ever believe our governments to get involved in this sort of jiggerpokery lol.

Pray tell how a threat by terrorists has anything to do with the elections in November?  As far as our governments 'making it all up' which is the between lines jist of what you are implying. wacko.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#11    Dancing_Dumplings

Dancing_Dumplings

broke.

• 2,653 posts

• <3 Ti amo Eva <3

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

they said that there might be an attack during DNC week....got eveyone all paranoid and stuff....but did anything happen....nope....all we got was no newspaper boxes and balloon frustration.
altho do they really have to alert us to potential terror acts? warned or not...it would still be devistating and horrid.  telling people bout all the terror threats just makes people scared and paraniod...isnt that what the terrorists want? is to scare the living crap outta us?

Edited by Anti_girl17, 03 August 2004 - 12:12 PM.

Memories frozen in time...
^all of my personal photos. Everything I want you to see. Nothing more, nothing less.^

#12    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

ahh nothin really i was only kddin to be honest lol.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#13    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,838 posts

-Patton

Posted 03 August 2004 - 01:37 PM

altho do they really have to alert us to potential terror acts?

Actually, I think they do... considering everything the Bush admin is going through because of not warning the public of 9/11...

----Seraphina

#14    KindredSpirt4125

KindredSpirt4125

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (doomgirl @ Aug 1 2004, 06:50 PM)
I would think that any major city in the US would be a target and not just around New York whistling2.gif

Oh dear God, don't say that!  I live in Houston for godsakes!  Houston!!!!! crying.gif  ohmy.gif  

#15    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

Fluffy...I was for 'shutting down the borders' in terrorist times. I just heard on the news that we actually want the borders open to get a better handle on the terrorists.  

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users