Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Doom3

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:00 AM

The story seems to be pretty similar to the orginal. You play as a marine getting sent to Mars in 2145 to pull guard duty for a huge offworld corporation that placed their testing facilities on mars so as to not have to abide by any earthly rules, or morals...

In running around to the different characters you can overhear conversations that may be going on. So far I have picked up that the owners of the corporation are all bottom line money people, and are pushing the researchers to find anyway to make money off of their findings. In passing by an hospital room, I got a glimpse of one of the zombie type characters on a hospital bed being worked on by doctors.

everybody claims to be spooked out because several folks have heard rumours that there are things on the surface of Mars that shouldn't be, as well as people hearing voices in abandoned parts of the instalation.

And of course the power went off in one part of the scariest looking warehouse I've ever seen, leading to the screenshot.

Here is a shot of how the flashlight graphics work. Usually the entire area is illuminated, but now there is a definate beam effect, wow...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#17    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:08 AM

That's pretty amazing!

Yeah that's the general story of the first game. Except you don't start off walking around the base before the invasion, you start off after the invasion and all your buddies are already dead.

That sounds pretty cool, i love how you can walk around and listen to peoples conversations, very awesome.
God i'm dying to play this.

I wonder if Cyber Demon is in it.. oo...

#18    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:30 AM

Here is a pic of the first zombie you get jumped by after the poo-poo hits the fan and the base is over run by baddies:

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

#19    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:31 AM

Should run into an IMP soon, or something of the like. Make sure you post a pic of the IMP!!

#20    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

nothing better then playing doom and turning the volume up on the sterio laugh.gif

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#21    mr_halo

mr_halo

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

• "Apparently I have lost the fallatus to speak properly."

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:30 AM

Halo 2 will be better, but Doom 3 does look rather good...

Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will, in fact, calm up.
Posted Image
There is an old Jaffa saying, General Hammond. "They do not build them as they once did."

#22    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:32 AM

Holy sh** DOOM3! is it out on the XBOX in th uk anyone know???? Damn i've been waiting so long.... e_e;

*Is a major fan*

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#23    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:38 AM

I don't know if it's out yet, but it certainly will be. thumbsup.gif

#24    mr_halo

mr_halo

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:47 AM

Release Dates from www.gamefaqs.com

Doom 3 Activision 09/24/04 EU

Doom 3 Activision 10/04/04 NA

that can't be right its out in europe first, wooooooooo  thumbsup.gif

Edited by mr_halo, 04 August 2004 - 01:48 AM.

Posted Image
There is an old Jaffa saying, General Hammond. "They do not build them as they once did."

#25    mr_halo

mr_halo

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:49 AM

those release dates are for the XBOX by the way, incase you weren't sure...

Posted Image

#26    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:49 AM

That's for XBOX right?
Otherwise how would that make sense, considering Fluffy is in NA and he already has a copy.

[edit] you just answered my question, thanks!

Edited by BurnSide, 04 August 2004 - 01:49 AM.

#27    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:04 AM

GAH e_e a whole month and a half....such torture....someone cry geneva convention for gawds sake >_<

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#28    mr_halo

mr_halo

Alien Abducter

• 4,556 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:07 AM

crying.gif "geneva convention"  crying.gif , there did that help?

Edited by mr_halo, 04 August 2004 - 02:07 AM.

Posted Image

#29    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:07 AM

Halo 2 will be better, but Doom 3 does look rather good...

i doubt it - in terms of graphics

Fluffy, what graphics cad do you have? i want to get a new graphics card but i want to wait til i see Doom 3, since that is the benchmark now for games

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#30    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Dowdy @ Aug 3 2004, 08:07 PM)
Fluffy, what graphics cad do you have? i want to get a new graphics card but i want to wait til i see Doom 3, since that is the benchmark now for games

My system has an AMD 3000+, 1.5 gigs of ram, and an ATI 9600 with 128 megs of ram. I have a 19" monitor and surround sound system on an audigy 2 platinum sound card.

It chugs a bit when a lot is going on, on screen in 1024x768. tongue.gif

Holy cow folks, this game is the creepiest I have ever played. I only got a few hours of playing in yesterday(I actually had to work- can you imagine?) but I was just about ready to fall over from just that few hours the game is that dang scary to play.

The graphics are incredible, but the lighting is what really makes it. Between the flickering lights because of the explosions and the drop down lights that are swinging around, there is a lot of time where you are in the dark, or your view is obscured. In each room there are always several nooks that aren't so obvious where the light doesn't shine, which is where most of the baddies seem to hang out. I wish I could post a video clip somehow...

My only complaint so far is that you can't hold your flashlight (which is often needed) and your weapon(even the pistol, which is always needed) at the same time. The lighting is generally dim to dark in most of the station, so you spend your time creeping along with your flashlight trying to see what you are coming up against before it sees you. When you do see something, you must switch weapons to be able to get a distance shot. The flashlight works as a weapon, but not very well, and in a dark room as soon as you swing your flashlight you can no longer see what you are aiming at as the beam isn't pointed in the right direction.

The sound is just evil. When wandering around, you can usually hear the bad guys before you can see them; it may be a slight breathing sound or something scraping on the floor. Your character is wearing a radio headset and you get radio chatter hearing other marines getting wiped out by the zombies, screaming and panicking the whole time.

The bad guys are not your typical run of the mill slow moving zombies. The action reminds me a bit of 28 Days Later, in that some of them plod along slowly, but some of them rush you from dark areas. You only catch a flash of movement before getting hit. I am not sure what they are called, but there is one bad guy that can crawl along the wall and the ceiling like a spider, so you have to watch your view from all angles.

When getting hit your vision goes blurry, and your head(View) gets moved around, so you have to scramble to try and get moved back away from what is attacking you so that you can try to get focused back in on your target. I’ve never been attacked by a zombie in real life (yet), but the disorienting effects are pretty realistic for getting in a scrap with someone…It is a nice touch.

There are several scripted events that are just wonderfully done. In several areas there are glass windows looking into other rooms. It is obvious that you are going to want to try and look into the rooms you are going to moving into before doing so. In a couple of spots now I have noticed that when creeping up slowly to a window to look through, something explodes up against the window and then scurries up the wall in front of your view. All this happens about 6 inches in front of your face and always in a flash. You never get to see what actually did run up the wall, it goes by too fast.

It has been a very fun and scary game so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users