Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Al Qaeda may have made contact in U.S. recently

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:27 AM

BTW....not to get off topic....but didn't you say you were planning a trip to France? I quit leaving the country years ago; too dangerous.  If you go, I wouldn't advertise that I was an American.

Wot a lot of crap.

How in the hell is it too dangerous for an american to come to europe??????????????

FLuffy please , and i know you wont, but please ignore that rubbish, ive been to france an its one of THE most amazing countries on the face of the planet.

As for americans being in any more danger than the rest of us ESPECIALLY in europe and in your opinion for years then thats nothing short of POOR education.

We welcome americans with open arms. its insulting for you to suggest otherwise.

Unlike yourself Babs when my country has a disagreement with another the massess dont break out into hysteria renaming the name of bloody chips, buying racist bumper stickers and boycottin the entire nation.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#17    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Babs @ Aug 5 2004, 08:47 PM)
Gee, Fluffy, if I had said what Michelle just said without backup data you would have been all over me. But, look, you actually help Michelle out and put out the data to back up what she 'heard'. rolleyes.gif

Fluffy, it looks like you have a double standard. whistling2.gif

Babs, just like with you, I checked out what she said.

What she said, checked out, and I posted the article.

Had what you said checked out, I would have done the same.

I worked to find the information "You heard about", but there was no such thing as has been the case more than once.

It is not a double standard.

Btw, yes I am planning to go to France, as well as England, and hopefully Scotland. I have been to France and England before and have never had a problem. I would be worried if I were travelling to the middle east, but western Europe is really not a concern in my opinion(Aside from flying, I do get nervous having to fly all of the time). France is a beautiful country with an amazing culture and incredible food. If you can go there, I say go for it, it is well worth the trip.

My experience is that if you travel to other countries and are respectful of the culture and the people it isn't a problem. The same thing goes for wherever I end up travelling for business or pleasure.

My French is horrible, but I have found that even making an attempt to speak the language out of respect goes a long way to making the locals feel respected.  

Edited by Fluffybunny, 06 August 2004 - 12:21 PM.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#18    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

erm difference bein babs she just stated an unbiased fact.

You are constantly posting with a not so hidden agenda.

saorsa na h-alba

#19    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (wunarmdscissor @ Aug 6 2004, 03:27 AM)
We welcome americans with open arms. its insulting for you to suggest otherwise.

I know that...

Unlike yourself Babs when my country has a disagreement with another the massess dont break out into hysteria renaming the name of bloody chips, buying racist bumper stickers and boycottin the entire nation.

I am so incredibly embarrased about that one. It was such a highschool mentality kind of thing to do...

How in the hell is it too dangerous for an american to come to europe??????????????

I don't know what that is about. I have heard it before too...I can understand going to the middle east(Wouldn't do it on a bet...) as being somewhat dangerous, but I don't get why Europe would be any more dangerous than anywhere else at this point.

FLuffy please , and i know you wont, but please ignore that rubbish, ive been to france an its one of THE most amazing countries on the face of the planet.

Been there, love the place...the food, the culture, the art...Paris is very romantic too.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

#20    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:36 AM

Well, good luck, my friend. I read on Fox news some travel tips for you....like don't go out of the country_ if you don't have to.... And rolleyes.gif  you might want to check your life insurance policy before you go. Hey, don't look at me...ask your government. Yes, it is dangerous out there. Anything can happen to you when you leave these waters. ph34r.gif  

Sounds like you will be a repectful person and that should help a great deal......but I would still be very careful.  

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#21    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

The persons not gonna be killed in Europe for being american. Although if you go to france... be prepared to get some rude treatment from the average joe's on the street... I remember hearing that that was common when the whole invasion was being prepared (circa: Freedom Fries). Might have died down now though.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#22    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:57 AM

It sounds like Fluffy is a seasoned traveler and knows the french language; he'll be alright. (Hey Fluffy, why don't you swing by Israel and look up Erikl... you two could have a blast.)  ohmy.gif laugh.gif

...no offense Erikl....just ribbing Fluffy. Yeah, you know the news channel said that people leaving the country should talk to their loved ones about the possibilty of a kidnapping or death. They should make some sort of preparations for this event  before leaving.

Henry David Thoreau...

#23    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:14 AM

I don't know babs, I don't think that there is as much of a concern for going to western europe as you would think...

If I were going to the middle east, it would be a whole different story. London and Paris are pretty safe bets, and I haven't seen too many kidnappings from either place lately...

As for going to Israel, I just can't see myself going there anytime soon. I could see if I were very religous and wanted to see where it all started and was willing to risk my life to do so, but that is nowhere near the case. No offence to Erickl, but it is just too dangerous for me considering I have no real reason to go there (other than to say hello to Erickl)

I have done a boatload of travelling since 9/11, and I can honestly say I feel safer now than I did pre 9/11. Security is much tighter than ever, and I doubt that anyone is going to get away with another 9/11 type event...

There is always the risk of somebody getting a hold of a SAM missle or something, but that is pretty remote at this point, so I just suck up my fear of flying and do my best to not let the terrorists win by keeping me hiding at home. I would hate to see the airlines going out of business and the economy be hurt becasue folks just stayed home. Not that I don't get nervous flying, I do, but I just hate being out of control that way...

#24    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:31 AM

Very noble.

The article says that you should keep abreast of news in the country you will be visiting. I'm not worried about you, but I would worry generally about travel outside the US. I travel frequently within the US and I agree that it is important to go about your affairs normally; flying is very important to our country and our country's economy. (keeping the morale up is good too thumbsup.gif )

I, on the other hand, would love to visit Israel. original.gif  Maybe.... some day, I will.  

Henry David Thoreau...

#25    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Babs @ Aug 8 2004, 01:57 AM)
Yeah, you know the news channel said that people leaving the country should talk to their loved ones about the possibilty of a kidnapping or death. They should make some sort of preparations for this event  before leaving.

and the USA common people is comming more and more paranoid and retrogade thanks to the people how wants then scared, and the Al quaeda terrorist are the only ones....

PD: CHANGE TO ORANGE ALERT LEVEL!!!!!......BUSH HAD A BAD DREAM ABOUT TERRORIST!!!! whistling2.gif  laugh.gif  

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#26    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

It sounds like Fluffy is a seasoned traveler and knows the french language; he'll be alright. (Hey Fluffy, why don't you swing by Israel and look up Erikl... you two could have a blast.)   

...no offense Erikl....just ribbing Fluffy. Yeah, you know the news channel said that people leaving the country should talk to their loved ones about the possibilty of a kidnapping or death. They should make some sort of preparations for this event before leaving.

BABS YOUR TALKING ABOUT EUROPE

Kindappings?????????????????????????????

WTF are you talking about.

I cant say our news is filled with our nationals being kidnapped and beheaded routinely tongue.gif

Your talking about us as if we're on the same level as Afghanistan.

Your poor education about us is VERY insulting.

I know FOX is very informative but you could try reading news papers or even an atlas.

We do live a quite a wee bit awaya from Iraq you know.

Jesus babs weve been a civlised nation for mpre than a few centuries.

Im serious babs you need to really learn about other cultures befor eyou make such daft and insulting judgements, youve clearly NEVER been to europe.

Britain is probably one of the safest country's on the planet.

Ive never seen a gun never mind seen anyone killed by one... thats just an example.

saorsa na h-alba

#27    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:59 PM

Wun...watch it, you look like you're going to have the big one. ohmy.gif  laugh.gif

I've been to europe a couple of times and I had a very serious incident in Denmark. A bomb scare....my ship was coming into the harbour, Langelini, and all of a sudden everything stopped aboard 'the Bergensfjord'. There was a bomb in the harbour! We had to sit in the waters till they got permission for us to come into the free harbour. When we got off ship they told us it was "arabs". This was 1970. ohmy.gif

I was young and impressionable and very upset by this. I wondered why our government didn't tell us that we weren't protected when we leave these shores? Well, they didn't tell you because, I guess, they didn't want the American people to know.    .....Or be afraid.

Now they are telling us. Take it from me, it must be bad!   ph34r.gif

......oh, I forgot, when my husband and I were walking close to Sweden, the border, there was an arab man walking behind us. When I would get behind my husband in our walking, this jerk would speed up to get close to me. He kept following me and inching up...I figured I better stay up with my husband. And right after I got caught up and 'stayed' with my husband, he fell off....disappeared. When I think about this, to this day, I still get unsettled and a bit scared.

So there you have it. Death threat and kidnapping threat over 30 years ago.

Oh, there is a silver lining ....the Rolling Stones had just arrived as we docked and later on the trip my husband and I walked right past Mick Jagger. (in the park). He was with a blonde woman and a little girl. He said 'hi' to us and I replied. original.gif  

Henry David Thoreau...

#28    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:06 AM

OH my god .

Babs you are unbelievable .

Well i cant find any info on your "bomb scare".

ANd cos some weirdo followed you in a street lol....then lol....it musta been arab terorists.

How many times does a weirdo follow someon in america lol??????? (erm your sory doesnt reall instill much ....belief.)

LOL what the hell do you mean "I wondered why our government didn't tell us that we weren't protected when we leave these shores"

Jesus babs you really are so blinkered and insular its frightening.

You do know that britain has a lower crime rate , death rate, birth death rate, murder rate , gun crime rate (almost non-existent).

There hasnt been a terrorist attack on thses shores for years , and even then the last arab situation wa sthe Iranian embassy in the 80's.

If your talking about sweden lol.

Thats is actually THE SAFEST COUNTRY ON THE PLANET .

My god babs your safer here in europe than you are in america.

Your far more likely to be killed or kidnapped by another AMERICAN than we are to be by anyone including arabs lol.

LIke i said babs if your worried about safety then maybe you should look a little closer to home.

[/QUOTE]Now they are telling us. Take it from me, it must be bad[QUOTE]

Oh ok ill take it from you...

Ill disregard all the facts and stats comparing crime in europe to america.

ill disregard my experience in being a EUROPEAN and trust a pretty badly informed american.

WHos seems to base her opinions on 2 incidents which were innoculous at best.

Could you please post some proof of this "bomb scare ".

saorsa na h-alba

#29    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

This was serious and it's hard to believe you talk this way. Check out the Stones in 1970, they were there.

The bomb threat didn't get much attention as far as I know. I didn't have accesss to a tv or radio....I was busy, I couldn't check the papers and radio. It wasn't a pleasure trip, we were busy. We had to find a place to live and see about my husband's job and mine. The best I can recollect was that everyone dispersed and went their usual way. We were with Norwegians and Danish....very few Americans on the Norwegian boat. But this ship left out of New York and these arabs must have known that.  People acted semi-normal, almost like I don't know...like maybe it's happened before and going on for a while. dontgetit.gif  ....Nobody 'got up in arms'...like you, wun. The Danes are a very peaceable people.

Denmark was a neutral country....that's another thing that really worried me. Yes we thought they were the safest countries...Denmark, Sweden, Norway, that's one of the reasons we liked going to there. What a shock.

That's why I have the views I have. That's why I want to fight for my country; I know how dangerous it is out there. I know that we are unprotected when we leave these waters. Before this I had more leftist views. I didn't believe in the Viet Nam war etc. etc. but, you see, now I know, you will have to fight. Fight every inch of the way to stay on top.... and to survive. And that this arab terrorism can come here. I knew 30 years ago that something was terribly wrong, and that the US wasn't being hit then because they the arabs couldn't get it done. Now they can, they can do it_911. Our country didn't want our people to know these things back then. There were people and countries that didn't like the US, even back in 1970. It took the arabs 30 yrs. to get here and now the war is on.

Like I said I haven't been traveling outside the country for many years. I must tell you.... it is a bad idea.

As far as proving something that happened to me that changed my life, you are crazy. I don't have to prove it, it happened. You want me to send you the ship's log or something? Maybe you could find out that way, wun; the ship might have records for way back then. wacko.gif

This isn't about politics, this is about 'truth'.... it's about what's out there.

And I have been to England, wun; it is very nice. When we were there we couldn't get back (home) because the airlines' in the US was on strike. (had to stay an extra week). original.gif ...(the England trip was in 1981, in case you want to research that, wun.)

Don't call me a liar. You have really shown your ignorance.

Edited by Babs, 10 August 2004 - 05:51 PM.

Henry David Thoreau...

#30    alis

alis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

• Please don't quote me!

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:13 PM

Hours after the attacks on Tuesday, the Islamic Institute of New York received a telephone call threatening the school's 450 students, said manager Azam Meshkat. "The gentleman was very angry and he started threatening the children. He said he was going to paint the streets with our children's blood," she said. The school is closed, but continues to receive several threats a day.
The evil men who perpetrated this want to destroy our way of life. We must fight them, but we must not become them.

If we regard all Arabs, all Muslims as enemy, then we become like the few who attacked us.

Perhaps the most cowardly attack took place on Thursday in the Brisbane suburb of Karawatha in the state of Queensland, where racist elements stoned a bus carrying primary school children with rocks and bottles. While no one was injured in the attack, the children, aged between five- and 10-years-old, were seriously traumatised and one side of the bus was badly damaged. The primary school, attended by 250 Muslim children, has been placed under 24-hour security.

source

Targetting children is absolutely sick! There is no excuse or justification.

Edited by alis, 10 August 2004 - 04:14 PM.

the more you learn, the less you realise you know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users