Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Breathing under Water

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    Disembodied Voice

Disembodied Voice

Mystical Bean Chaointe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

• My inspiration is ART...Because without ART we would just be stuck with reality. - Daniel R. Lynch

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

When I was a little kid I would swim all summer every summer and it was weird cause it felt like I could breath under water for a little bit. It was like an air bubble that I kept breathing in and out in with short breaths...that's what it felt like at least...it's an odd memory but I remember it very well. Anyone experienced this? Could this be some kind of divers technique that I learned on my own? I haven't gone swimming in years so I don't know if I can still do it...I don't know if it was my imagination or not but I could stay under water for a long time back then..holding my breath or breathing under water (lol) :P but seriously what do you think? Please don't mock me. I know someone out there has experienced the same thing..

Posted Image

MY PARANORMAL BLOG: ENTER IF YOU DARE!
"Reality is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."
"I am a lover not a fighter but I will fight for what I love."
"Don't tell me that the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

#2    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

View PostDisembodied Voice, on 08 January 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

When I was a little kid I would swim all summer every summer and it was weird cause it felt like I could breath under water for a little bit. It was like an air bubble that I kept breathing in and out in with short breaths...that's what it felt like at least...it's an odd memory but I remember it very well. Anyone experienced this? Could this be some kind of divers technique that I learned on my own? I haven't gone swimming in years so I don't know if I can still do it...I don't know if it was my imagination or not but I could stay under water for a long time back then..holding my breath or breathing under water (lol) :P but seriously what do you think? Please don't mock me. I know someone out there has experienced the same thing..

how "little" are we talking

my guess confabulation. I remember being able to fly down the stairs but know it must be either a badly remembered dream (possibly a lucid dream) or a completely false memory

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#3    Disembodied Voice

Disembodied Voice

Mystical Bean Chaointe

• 1,201 posts

• My inspiration is ART...Because without ART we would just be stuck with reality. - Daniel R. Lynch

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostCynical Sounds, on 08 January 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

how "little" are we talking

my guess confabulation. I remember being able to fly down the stairs but know it must be either a badly remembered dream (possibly a lucid dream) or a completely false memory

I would say it was around the ages from 7 to 10 but that's roughly estimating I'm 21 years old now that was a long time ago.

Posted Image

"Don't tell me that the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

#4    Rock-Star

Rock-Star

Astral Projection

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I agree, most likely just a product of your imagination. I too at times "remember" doing some crazy things as a child. For instance, I recall my cousin and I going to the park and getting on the swings, proceeding to go very fast and high, and then "launching" ourselves off at the highest point, flying far off into the ground in front of us. While in my mind it seemed like I was as high as the crossbar, and I flew 10-15 feet off the front of the swing, in reality I was probably 2 feet off the ground and landed a foot or so in front of the swing set. If we really did what I was thinking, we could have killed ourselves, or probably at least broken some bones. I think things just seem bigger when you are a child, and the imagination helps you to make things that much more exciting. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm sure at times we all wish we could be back in that place. As for your experience, it is also very possible that you simply have very good lung capacity, and as a child you interpreted this as "breathing" underwater while you were holding your breath.

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Well..the only way I can do what you just described was  to exhale a small bubble just enough so that it does not leave my mouth then I suck it back in..sort of like blowing a small bubble with gum but not so much that it pops then sucking it back in without making a mess.

Humans are air-breathers and even a tiny amount of fluid creates a reaction.

#6    Podo

Podo

Red Lantern

• 2,290 posts

• This is a strange world full of strange people. I hate it. I hate them.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

My theory is that it's a misremembered memory mixed with a dream. When I was a wee child I swam as much as I could, and would often have dreams very similar to what you are describing. That is, being underwater and being able to breathe in and out slightly for a few minutes. These were nothing but dreams, however. Could you be misinterpreting your memory?

With blood and rage of crimson red,
Ripped from a corpse, so freshly dead,
Together with our hellish hate,
We'll burn you all, that is your fate!

#7    lightnebula

lightnebula

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Although it does sound strange that has happened to me aswell.
I was swimming a few summers ago and found myself taking a breath underwater and not choking on it. A few breathes underwater, and I'm real sure it wasn't my imagination.

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,119 posts

• Oops.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

I remember as a kid I used to be able to time my ascent when swimming so I could keep track with my bubbles, and inhale a particularly large bubble.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    scaredsilly

scaredsilly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

• "In an open mind, there is always room to move."

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

No, havent experienced it, I have a fear of drowning  :unsure2:

#10    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

View PostDisembodied Voice, on 08 January 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

Interesting. The thing is, it's very easy to misremember things as a child. There are all kinds of things that I could have sworn happened one way but in actuality were completely different.

-A fun fact that might interest you... Supposedly, sea turtles are capable of taking a mouthful of water and gradually extracting oxygen from it. I'm not 100% sure this is true, I heard it somewhere and I am too lazy to go verify it, but it's pretty cool if it is.

Edited by Thesantanafan, 09 January 2011 - 05:25 AM.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#11    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:46 AM

Ahhh, what a wondrous thing childhood is.  ^_^  I used to think I could see through walls if I was looking close enough at the edge of it.   :unsure2:  Of course I can't.  I've since learned about an eye thing that can give that impression.  

I challenge YOU, my dear, to try that now.  Run a nice hot bath with some pretty scented oils and let me know what happens.  :lol:  Granted, there are quite a few things children can experience that adults can't, but this one's new to me.  If you've found a way to breathe underwater, good for you!  Seriously.  :D  

Do try it though, and see what happens.  Not being facetious, I'm merely curious.  And no, I sure don't want you to drown.  Don't push it.  If you never post here again Ima be pissed cuz I just know you freakin drowned.  I'll have to live with that guilt.  I can't take that!   <_<

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#12    TrueDragons

TrueDragons

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• the plural of anecdote is not evidence

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

View PostThesantanafan, on 09 January 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

-A fun fact that might interest you... Supposedly, sea turtles are capable of taking a mouthful of water and gradually extracting oxygen from it. I'm not 100% sure this is true, I heard it somewhere and I am too lazy to go verify it, but it's pretty cool if it is.

Some (at least) freshwater turtles can take oxygen out of the water by "breathing" through their anus.

#13    Disembodied Voice

Disembodied Voice

Mystical Bean Chaointe

• 1,201 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostNadia Blue, on 09 January 2011 - 05:46 AM, said:

Ahhh, what a wondrous thing childhood is.  ^_^  I used to think I could see through walls if I was looking close enough at the edge of it.   :unsure2:  Of course I can't.  I've since learned about an eye thing that can give that impression.  

I challenge YOU, my dear, to try that now.  Run a nice hot bath with some pretty scented oils and let me know what happens.  :lol:  Granted, there are quite a few things children can experience that adults can't, but this one's new to me.  If you've found a way to breathe underwater, good for you!  Seriously.  :D  

Do try it though, and see what happens.  Not being facetious, I'm merely curious.  And no, I sure don't want you to drown.  Don't push it.  If you never post here again Ima be pissed cuz I just know you freakin drowned.  I'll have to live with that guilt.  I can't take that!   <_<

LOL I seriously doubt I can do it again. It just happened during my childhood and it's good to hear all your replies. Thank you all. But I know I wasn't dreaming when I did it at least that is how I remember it but like others have said it could have just been my imagination. It's just strange. Maybe i just thought I could breathe under water cause I could be underwater for a long time. That was back when I had really good lungs before my asthma kicked in. I don't believe it was a paranormal experience, just something strange I remember from childhood and It's cool to hear that people have had the same or similar experiences. Now I know it's just not me. :)

Posted Image

#14    Disembodied Voice

Disembodied Voice

Mystical Bean Chaointe

• 1,201 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

View Postlightnebula, on 08 January 2011 - 10:16 PM, said:

Although it does sound strange that has happened to me aswell.
I was swimming a few summers ago and found myself taking a breath underwater and not choking on it. A few breathes underwater, and I'm real sure it wasn't my imagination.
I know it feels so real right? but who knows with me, I did have an imagination as a child. But I do know what you're saying it does feel like it really happened...

Posted Image

#15    Disembodied Voice

Disembodied Voice

Mystical Bean Chaointe

• 1,201 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostPodo, on 08 January 2011 - 10:00 PM, said:

My theory is that it's a misremembered memory mixed with a dream. When I was a wee child I swam as much as I could, and would often have dreams very similar to what you are describing. That is, being underwater and being able to breathe in and out slightly for a few minutes. These were nothing but dreams, however. Could you be misinterpreting your memory?
I don't know all I know is that it felt like it really happened and wasn't a dream. But that's just how I remember/feel it happening. But you could be right. I it just seemed like it really happened to me in real life. I have remembered this forever ever since I was/thought I could breathe underwater. I don't think it was a memory I made up. But like people were saying I was a kid and my imagination could have gotten the best of me. It just seemed so real.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users