Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Palin charges critics with 'blood libel'

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,888 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 12 January 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

Serious question for the Americans posting here. If a politician in the US uses reason and intelligence to debate or try to make a point to the public, rather than hype and inflammatory rhetoric, are they seen as 'weak' or 'elitist'?
I don't think most people think being smart or logical is weak or elitist. But, most Americans expect Entertainment 24-7, so they watch politics for the same reason they watch Stockcar Racing, or Boxing, or Jersy Shore.... They want to see that bloody car wreck, that guy get knocked out, the girl cheating on his wife.... That is one of the problems I see in today's culture. Only sex and violence is Entertaining anymore to the masses. Bill Clinton probably got more votes for going on Saturday Night Live and playing the saxophone then for his stand on abortion or gun laws. Obama probably got more votes in 2008, because he was on TV a lot more then McCain, and presented a more TV friendly appearance and identity. Pandering to Entertainment is power. And Entertainment is sex and violence in the US. That first year Obama spoke out on nearly every single violent event that happened in the news. Because he knows people follow violent and sex involved stories on the TV and on the Internet.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    Palin-sque

Palin-sque

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

I believe this whole debate started because the sheriff of Pima County wanted to make a political statement by which he was sure to draw a little more attention; a deplorable man.  

Personally, I think anyone who uses this tragedy to advance an ideology - whether Left or Right - deserves every measure of scorn imaginable. There is simply no evidence of a connection between Sarah Palin and the shooter, but that didn't stop the media from vilifying her over a few metaphors.

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."

The italicized statement made by President Obama. He wasn't inciting violence, but using a metaphor.

The below image was used by Democrats in their "Seeing Red" campaign to retake the White House in 2004. "Behind Enemy Lines...."

Posted Image

I don't find Palin's choice of metaphor much different than Obama's, and I don't believe the SarahPac map differs all that much from the one the Democrats used in 2004.

Edited by Palin-sque, 13 January 2011 - 05:59 AM.

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. ~ Mother Teresa

#33    Palin-sque

Palin-sque

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

Oops. Double Post.

Edited by Palin-sque, 13 January 2011 - 05:59 AM.

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. ~ Mother Teresa

#34    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

View PostPalin-sque, on 13 January 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

I believe this whole debate started because the sheriff of Pima County wanted to make a political statement by which he was sure to draw a little more attention; a deplorable man.  

Personally, I think anyone who uses this tragedy to advance an ideology - whether Left or Right - deserves every measure of scorn imaginable. There is simply no evidence of a connection between Sarah Palin and the shooter, but that didn't stop the media from vilifying her over a few metaphors.

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."

The italicized statement made by President Obama. He wasn't inciting violence, but using a metaphor.

The below image was used by Democrats in their "Seeing Red" campaign to retake the White House in 2004. "Behind Enemy Lines...."

Posted Image

I don't find Palin's choice of metaphor much different than Obama's, and I don't believe the SarahPac map differs all that much from the one the Democrats used in 2004.

I don't recall the statement by the sheriff carrying any political undertones except to highlight that rhetoric and the general political climate has become overheated, and that this may contribute to influencing irrational behaviour. Pointing the finger at the sheriff is another symptom of the 'blame game'.

Rhetoric and imagery which promote or suggest violent imagery is/has been used by both sides, and both sides should be deplored for doing so. Trying to defend one side (or person) by highlighting the other side is "just as bad", is not really addressing the issue.

Edited to add: My apologies, Palin-sque, for not welcoming you to UM before making a critical response to your post. I hope you enjoy it here and I look forward to reading your posts.

Edited by Leonardo, 13 January 2011 - 08:55 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#35    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

View Postzenfahr, on 12 January 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

What I really want to know is .... why does she have anything to say in the first place? Could have simply stated that, this was a tradgic event and her prayers were with the families... done and done.  But like stated in the article, she has now and forever linked herself to this event. Best way to respond to finger pointers is to ignore them all together, not legitimize their accusations with a responce.  

Just my opinion.
The left already linked her, and she is someone who won't just take it and be nice.
Something the left don't like about her.

#36    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

View PostAgent X, on 12 January 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

Why shouldn't she have anything to say?

Thousands upon thousands of liberals across America are blaming her for the shooting tragedy along with Beck, FOX News, and the Tea Party.

Why should she just shut up?

Doesn't she have any right to defend herself?

At all?

It doesn't matter if she doesn't say anything anyways. The hypocritical liberals will do anything they can to blame her for everything that's wrong with the world.

And she really hasn't done anything to deserve this kind of vitriol other than being a Conservative Christian.

But I guess that's the greatest sins of all time according to the liberal mindset. Being Conservative and Christian.

Free speech is not just for liberals. It gives everyone a right to speak their opinion.

And a right to defend themselves against unwarranted scapegoating.
that was not an attack on free speach, you are welcome to say what ever you want to.  But sometimes those who speak the little, say the most.  People will point fingers at everyone here, the killer, the gun, his friends, family, the bullets and so on and on. It was her choice to fight that battle. I was only stating that she should have thought first before jumpin on the band wagon.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#37    Superglobe

Superglobe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

• [insert snarky comment here]

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Has anyone asked what blood libel is yet?

nothing to see here, folks.

#38    Heru

Heru

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Democracys never last.

#39    her.

her.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

blood libel
refers to a false accusation that jews murder children to use their blood in rituals.

get out of my dreams, get into my car.

#40    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,842 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

I find it sort of odd that so much attention is given to the political bent that the nutjob might have been agreeing with.. yet ignoring that the guy might have been all po'd because of what the political bent was saying that he disagreed with.

The guys a nut, and it's not anyones specific fault for what they said. Palin is a dipwad, but even in her dippiness I haven't heard her telling folks flat out to go shoot anyone.

#41    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

View Posther., on 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

blood libel
refers to a false accusation that jews murder children to use their blood in rituals.

And it's horrible that the Dems are claiming Palin does this!  :angry:

:P

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#42    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

View Postrashore, on 13 January 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

I find it sort of odd that so much attention is given to the political bent that the nutjob might have been agreeing with.. yet ignoring that the guy might have been all po'd because of what the political bent was saying that he disagreed with.

The guys a nut, and it's not anyones specific fault for what they said. Palin is a dipwad, but even in her dippiness I haven't heard her telling folks flat out to go shoot anyone.

If she had, you can be assured she would have been censured for that. She, like many other politicians on both sides of the political divide, has found it useful to use inflammatory rhetoric and firearms-related imagery to conduct her campaigns. She had the misfortune, or stupidity - call it what you will, to actually mention Gabrielle Giffords name in association with some of that firearms-related imagery and Ms Giffords in now lying in hospital with a serious gunshot wound.

I am NOT suggesting Ms Palin's imagery influenced the shooting, and I have heard (unsupported as yet) that the gunman may have been aggrieved against Ms Giffords from a previous encounter. However, the fact of Ms Palin using Ms Giffords name in an inflammatory campaign context hasn't helped her [Sarah Palin's] image.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#43    Agent X

Agent X

Illustrious Potentate Of All Time Space And Matter

• 5,086 posts

• Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid the appearance of ignorance.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

I hope Obama will step in and say something to end this stupid blame game madness. I think at this point it's the only thing that has any chance of stopping the crap and bringing people together.

Maybe we do have Minbari souls. We're all going crazy because of Dukat's death.

Posted Image

#44    Heru

Heru

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

View Posther., on 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

blood libel

Refers to a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, usually Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays

#45    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

View PostAgent X, on 13 January 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

I hope Obama will step in and say something to end this stupid blame game madness. I think at this point it's the only thing that has any chance of stopping the crap and bringing people together.

He did last night during legacy to Tueson. You should watch it Obama was pretty good said exactly what you wanted hime to say about the issue.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users