Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Eisenhower warning speech - 50th anniversary

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,549 posts

• ראה

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

I was a bit surprised that this was picked up by NBC Nightly News this week. If you've never heard the speech, then you may find it intriguing.  I've always been a little puzzled by it, given that he used it as a farewell. In other words, he didn't have to pay a political price.

While you could always argue for the overall context of [the speech,] this section still stands out.  He was against big government per se, but he went beyond that here.  He uses his insider information to tell U.S. that we're in danger if we stay in the road we were on, and it’s at least as great as the Cold War itself.

The obvious question I have now, is where are we in relation to his warning, because our liberty is being eroded away exactly as he said it would?  The Internet is the only bright spot I see, and thankfully because of it, we're seeing more of what Ike alluded to.

I'm not as worried about the waste of resources, as I am about their fear of U.S. finding out what's going on, as we've seen with the Wikileaks fiasco.  This paranoia of the First Amendment is a greater threat to me, than any enemy abroad.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 22 January 2011 - 05:28 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

no takers, eh?

yep, they should have listened to him and the country would not be in the state it is in.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,549 posts

• ראה

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

The arrogance of the state has become outrageous, which brings U.S. to the unsolved and peculiar mystery of hurricane "Ike," which slammed into his home state of Texas; the eye moving directly over Mission Control in Houston, on the 13th of Apollo, in the year of our Lord(only President to be baptized in office) 2008. Excuse me that was September of '08.

What immediately followed this "landing," was [a credit crisis] that sparked worldwide panic.  Such that Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson, is widely reported to have told congressional leaders and President Bush, that if he didn't do exactly what he was told to do, martial law would be necessary. That would in effect, dissolve all "liberty."

Could the spirit of "Ike" be at work here?  I don't know.  I'll save that for [another section of the forum,] but it's about as intriguing as the man's farewell speech.

Here's that little kiss again, [on "both of Caesar's hands."]

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 22 January 2011 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#4    Agent X

Agent X

Illustrious Potentate Of All Time Space And Matter

• 5,086 posts

• Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid the appearance of ignorance.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Huh? What does that have to do with the original post.

Posted Image

#5    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,549 posts

• ראה

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostAgent X, on 22 January 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

Huh? What does that have to do with the original post.
It just seems ironic to me that following a storm of "Ike's" namesake, which slammed into his home state, then goes directly over the most important military base in the U.S., in terms of technology; then President Bush is warned within only days that he may have to impose martial law, as a result of our financial difficulties. In effect, Ike's prediction was being underlined by the very storm bearing his name. The loss of "liberty" due to financial difficulties ...

Martial law was threatened on [September 19, 2008,] for the first time since "Ike" made his farewell address. There are no other threats of "martial law" because of our "financial difficulties" in the Congressional Record. Call it a curious coincidence, but those are very interesting odds to me. I would argue, astronomical.

Not many people realize that hurricane Ike was the largest windstorm to ever strike the continental U.S. It tore a path of destruction from the Mission Control to the Canadian border, 200 miles wide.  Power was knocked out for hundreds of thousands throughout the Ohio River Valley for two weeks. No storm has ever done that, and while the focus was on Texas, meteorologists doing the calculations were astonished.

[Dr. Greg Forbes,]
Severe Weather Expert at the Weather channel described hurricane Ike ...

"I cannot recall a more extensive swath of damaging winds from any storm! It's not unusual to have wind damage for a few hundred miles inland of a hurricane making landfall. But this swath of damage wound up being about 1600 miles long along the dog-legged path, and about an average of 200 miles wide! Within the swath lies an incredible scene of widespread trees and power lines downed, some falling onto homes and vehicles. Some buildings collapsed or lost roofs from the winds alone."

Posted Image

[Link]

#6    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

I listened to the speach this morning but does it really surprise anyone that no one listened. So many things they say and do are so obvious now and we do nothing.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 22 January 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

I listened to the speach this morning but does it really surprise anyone that no one listened. So many things they say and do are so obvious now and we do nothing.

Sure we do... we want the only good things that happened to the people in the last 30 years repealed.

But sure want to keep welfare 'cause we need something to blame it on.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 January 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

Sure we do... we want the only good things that happened to the people in the last 30 years repealed.

But sure want to keep welfare 'cause we need something to blame it on.

This is true. We don't stop digging ourselves into a deeper hole. We don't stop murdering and raping our own in the name of money for the wealthiest.  :rolleyes:

#9    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,549 posts

• ראה

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

He wasn't a military coward, but apparently was one politically. The systemic flaws he mentions are not only still in place, but they're compounding daily.

An over extension of military power vs. declining revenues is a death sentence for liberty. Very little change can occur without a complete overhaul of the entire system, and that won't happen until after martial law is declared, and perhaps not even then.

#10    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,549 posts

• ראה

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

[Dwight D. Eisenhower looking better with age] - San Francisco Chronicle - Jan. 23, 2011

Posted Image

... newly uncovered materials also show that Ike helped write and edit the speech throughout the entire process. The president and his advisers ran through 29 drafts before settling on the final version. Clearly, the president wanted to get this right ...

...he spent much of his presidency building a nuclear arsenal ...

...Many historians now regard Ike's farewell address as second only to Washington's in its importance ... cont. at link above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The writer points out the problem of using only the admonishments in the speech.  However, what he fails to say, is that the only thing memorable about it, is the warning itself. Were it not for this warning to the future, the speech would have been forgotten entirely.

Could it simply be that he spent much of his presidency building a nuclear arsenal?

Or could it be, that the only thing in nature, which can be adequately compared to a nuclear weapon, is a hurricane?

Two Hiroshima sized bombs per second is the [typical comparison,] except for hurricane Ike.  He was much bigger .... the second largest amount of integrated kinetic energy ever measured in the Atlantic Basin, and if you count the total kinetic energy, including what was released over land, Ike was by far the largest and greatest ever observed.

So I'm not so sure we can ignore hurricane Ike, especially given it's the only natural comparison used to describe the bombs he was making.  :unsure2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users