Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 20 votes

Those Who've Seen the Hatman/Shadow People

• Please log in to reply
1484 replies to this topic

#1291    Euryleia

Euryleia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• In every tale and legend, there is a little bit of truth...

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 17 December 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

I can say you skim read every ones posts by blind sighted reponses . The fact you necropost (It means post on long dead posts) and talk about nothing that is ground breaking or even original doesn't make you sound wise and sage. There is no evidence of your claims, you just spout theories and treat them as fact.

Science disproves paranormal by the fact they use tests by doing research and examination. Did you know people thought orbs in photos were really energy but has been proven that it is because the camera's flash is too close to the lens and causes dust particles to show in the photos?

If we lived by your fantasy, inoccent people with conditions like scizophrenia and other physcological issues would be blamed to be possessed by demons or satan. There also be no medical cures because you be using wicca and other magical cures that are weak to not even strong to cure that person.

The fact is you do not even read WHAT the "Science" has done, shows how ignorant you are. If you want to be open minded (such as you preach to me), you need to read both sides and get off your high horse because it isn't working here.

First of all, I didn't bump any old threads. There was somebody else who posted on the 11th of the month and since I went through many comments here and found the thread interesting, I wanted to share my point of view about the subject. Evidence? Looks like you aren't familiar with Paranormal because most of the times there is no evidence to present and what I've said are things that people talked about on the internet and in real life so I didn't create anything out of nothing. So what makes you think that I'm not gonna continue to respond with my point of views in the next threads simply because I have no online evidence to prove what I say to be right? You're certainly not gonna stop me or anybody else because I DO know what I'm talking about. If I was making up something then I'd agree with you.

If we lived by your fantasy, inoccent people with conditions like scizophrenia and other physcological issues would be blamed to be possessed by demons or satan. There also be no medical cures because you be using wicca and other magical cures that are weak to not even strong to cure that person.

The fact is you do not even read WHAT the "Science" has done, shows how ignorant you are. If you want to be open minded (such as you preach to me), you need to read both sides and get off your high horse because it isn't working here.

There is seriously something extremely wrong with you. Correct me if I'm wrong. You assume that I haven't read what Science has done? Do you even know me? You assume that I'm saying that people are possessed by Satan when I clearly stated that in 'some' cases the Paranormal does play a huge role in our lives. Did I mention anywhere that everyone who reported undergoing sleep paralysis are possessed? All you do is talk nonsense and blame people for things they haven't said.

Take a chillpill. This site is called 'unexplained mysteries' for a reason and people here discuss the possibilities. I think that the least you can do when responding in this section of the forum is to respect other people's believes in the Paranormal. I've seen crap you have never nor will you ever see in your life. If you are unlucky one day, then you'd probably get a taste of what it is like to wake up in the middle of the night to an entity standing right next to your bed, fainting from being scared, waking up again to see it exiting the room. You wouldn't even go back to bed, You'd wanna stay awake until sunlight to make sure that what you've seen was real but even when you tell your family and friends about what happened, nobody would believe a word you say. because there is simply NO evidence.

Edited by Euryleia, 17 December 2013 - 07:33 AM.

Posted Image

"I heard singing before but...there's nobody here..."
Interest: Folklore, Paranormal.

#1292    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,432 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 17 December 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

I can say you skim read every ones posts by blind sighted reponses . The fact you necropost (It means post on long dead posts) and talk about nothing that is ground breaking or even original doesn't make you sound wise and sage. There is no evidence of your claims, you just spout theories and treat them as fact.

Science disproves paranormal by the fact they use tests by doing research and examination. Did you know people thought orbs in photos were really energy but has been proven that it is because the camera's flash is too close to the lens and causes dust particles to show in the photos?

Euryleia welcome to UM

We have members from a lot of different backgrounds and with a wide range of beliefs so not everyone will see eye to eye, conflicting views and opinions are to be expected

Brian Topp tone down the the hostility and stick to discussing the topic and keep your responses civil and constructive. The OP posted in it on Dec 11th, so  hardly a necro post by anyone's standard.

As a reminder this thread is in Stories and Experiences so that people can discuss their own personal encounters . Your lack of belief is irrelevant in how others will view a personal experience.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons, 17 December 2013 - 08:48 AM.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#1293    Alster99

Alster99

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

I find this thread interesting for those who have seen shadow people i only wonder is it very common for shadow people to get attached then attack you when their angry . Also shadow spiders why are they hostile as they get older?

Their is no evidence because you can't see them so how can their be evidence in the first place and embryo my friend who is a brilliant person in science even massaged me it not possible to know that answer you have tried to prove because science has too many flaws in the unnormal to prove it and they don't have the technology for it.

Edited by Alster99, 19 December 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#1294    Curious_one

Curious_one

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

I don't know too much about robed shadows or other shadows but I know that the man in the Fadora hat with a trench coat can be one of two things. A "strongman" or "slenderman". Their both dangerous I think...however one saved my life when I was lost in the woods for a night he scared me in another direction and pretty much guided me home. Slenderman is for sure bad though. Related to missing children. I would see him a lot as a child. I seem his face right up close too and it was congruent to a picture a concerned friend showed me which was painted of slenderman in Europe in the 1800s. Both strongmen and slender man date back in history and are seen by many. Why? Who knows. Some people say they come into your life during the time of temptation. They don't want you to be innocent. They come at vulnerable times in your life like your childhood-20 because you are figuring out who you are going to be. I personally think it is a temptation thing.

To get rid of them just pray when you see them and don't be interested. Because if you are able to see past our dimension, I believe that you will see what you want to see, what you are looking for, and what you soround yourself with. As much as this entire thing is interesting as hell! I had to put that aside to look out for my well being. Talking about it is okay, but don't focus on it, don't be afraid, and don't be temped to look for them. Look for good things and you might find that.

#1295    Curious_one

Curious_one

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

When I seen it i was scared before it appeared. I have a terrible fear of the dark so it would usually come then. I also seen it in the woods when I was lost in the fall. It guided me home and saved my life. I woulda been dead if I had to spend the cold night in the woods. Idk if some are Angels in disguise or bad. But like people are both good and bad I believe spiritual things out there are both good and bad.

Here's some things that people may or may not have in common with me.
I'm Roman Catholic
Female 20 years old
It comes when I'm scared (like when I was lost)
It's never talked to me
I always run away screaming
Im a Spiritual person
It came more when I was younger
Always in my room or in the dark
*I'm curious about this kina stuff and pay too much attention to it

#1296    Lucky7

Lucky7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• "We are all but compressed light" Albert Einstein

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thank you, Curious_one for posting and sharing. I am reading your posts with interest and IMO, you have insight. Just like you, these beings have never spoken to me and somehow I am glad about that as just feeling their presence was very much enough. I find it very interesting that one of them helped you when you were lost in the woods. Perhaps it was just chasing you away from it's home.

#1297    Curious_one

Curious_one

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Who knows....if your interested on my of my experiences go to my post I made "Seeking help is what braught me here" it's easy to search with the keyword help and author Curious_one. Not many people seem to believe me

#1298    Murlin54

Murlin54

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

I googled "What is the Hat Man" and came across this site. It begins with the same question I often ask myself, and since I learned that the Hat Man sighting is a worldwide and common phenomena I do think about it often. I've posted my experience several times, perhaps even on this site at one time, although not in this thread. I am able to cut and paste my experience from an email I sent a while back relating the experience. Here it is:

Here is my experience:
I was about 8 yrs old as I recall. Late in the night I awoke and standing very close to my bedside, on my left side, perhaps 4 to 6 inches away, was a tall dark figure in a hat. I'm sure I was still somewhat asleep but I remember my first thought was, why is there a cowboy in my bedroom? (I was a fan of western's, having a brother a year older than I.) I did not feel any sense of immediate fear or danger. I remember thinking, perhaps my parents had a late visitor and he wanted to see me but as I was asleep, he was only peeking in at me.  The "hat man" was definitely looking down at me. I remember closing my eyes into slits, so I could still see him but hopefully he would be unaware that I was looking at him. He appeared quite solid, and there seemed only to have been dim light in the room, perhaps from outside street lights. I became just a little frightened and I remember that I stayed very still to the point where I began to be uncomfortable and a little sweaty. I must have fallen back asleep at some point.

That is the entire experience. It only happened once. I do not ever recall even telling my parents or my brother. I guess I just chalked it off to my imagination. When I read of other's encounter with "the hat man", only a couple of reports were very, very similar to mine. I did not see any scary red glowing eyes, I did not feel threatened in any way. I did not feel any impending sense of doom or evil.  The impression was of a solid figure, not what I would consider a shadow person. I also recall the impression of a raincoat, or an overcoat of some sort.  I have an impression of a leathery face, still in my mind more like a cowboy than a demon. A lot of the stories that are similar, occurred to people at the approximate same age as I was.
I've never seen the hat man since. I've only read the first 12 or so pages of this thread and the last page here. I will read more as it is very interesting to read the reports that relate to the Hat Man as I experienced him.  It does strike me though that I've thought about the fear factor. Maybe I've never seen it again because I didn't have the reaction to it that it was seeking. I believe it saw me open my eyes and then I never moved, never screamed for my parents, just closed my eyes and stayed still. Maybe that was fearless enough to have it lose interest in me.  The question I always ask myself though is the same as the OP. What do we have in common?
First thought, I am a rare blood type 0 neg. I was raised Catholic. My parents were divorced but I was living with Mom and my first step-father. I don't recall anything bad in my life at the time or any deaths. I have blue eyes, reddish hair, female. A few thoughts I've had at different times: Perhaps the reason for the hat is for us to recognize the entity as appearing to be human. Without the hat, it may just appear to be a shadow and not really have the same definite impression of a tall somewhat imposing male figure. Also, there have been all those sci-fi movies where a hat has played a significant role. That guy in the Ghost Whisperer and those guys in that Matt Damon movie, where the hat was required in order to be able to access the doors, "The Adjustment Bureau." Maybe the hat is some sort of device that allows this entity to manifest. I've often thought that this may be an inter-dimensional being as well. As I said, it didn't seem ghost like, it seemed very solid although it seemed to appear and disappear without sound or movement, at least in my limited experience.

Well that's all for now. Back to more reading on this thread when I have time.

Edited by Murlin54, 24 January 2014 - 01:14 AM.

#1299    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostMurlin54, on 24 January 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

I googled "What is the Hat Man" and came across this site. It begins with the same question I often ask myself, and since I learned that the Hat Man sighting is a worldwide and common phenomena I do think about it often. I've posted my experience several times, perhaps even on this site at one time, although not in this thread. I am able to cut and paste my experience from an email I sent a while back relating the experience. Here it is:

Here is my experience:
I was about 8 yrs old as I recall. Late in the night I awoke and standing very close to my bedside, on my left side, perhaps 4 to 6 inches away, was a tall dark figure in a hat. I'm sure I was still somewhat asleep but I remember my first thought was, why is there a cowboy in my bedroom? (I was a fan of western's, having a brother a year older than I.) I did not feel any sense of immediate fear or danger. I remember thinking, perhaps my parents had a late visitor and he wanted to see me but as I was asleep, he was only peeking in at me.  The "hat man" was definitely looking down at me. I remember closing my eyes into slits, so I could still see him but hopefully he would be unaware that I was looking at him. He appeared quite solid, and there seemed only to have been dim light in the room, perhaps from outside street lights. I became just a little frightened and I remember that I stayed very still to the point where I began to be uncomfortable and a little sweaty. I must have fallen back asleep at some point.

That is the entire experience. It only happened once. I do not ever recall even telling my parents or my brother. I guess I just chalked it off to my imagination. When I read of other's encounter with "the hat man", only a couple of reports were very, very similar to mine. I did not see any scary red glowing eyes, I did not feel threatened in any way. I did not feel any impending sense of doom or evil.  The impression was of a solid figure, not what I would consider a shadow person. I also recall the impression of a raincoat, or an overcoat of some sort.  I have an impression of a leathery face, still in my mind more like a cowboy than a demon. A lot of the stories that are similar, occurred to people at the approximate same age as I was.
I've never seen the hat man since. I've only read the first 12 or so pages of this thread and the last page here. I will read more as it is very interesting to read the reports that relate to the Hat Man as I experienced him.  It does strike me though that I've thought about the fear factor. Maybe I've never seen it again because I didn't have the reaction to it that it was seeking. I believe it saw me open my eyes and then I never moved, never screamed for my parents, just closed my eyes and stayed still. Maybe that was fearless enough to have it lose interest in me.  The question I always ask myself though is the same as the OP. What do we have in common?
First thought, I am a rare blood type 0 neg. I was raised Catholic. My parents were divorced but I was living with Mom and my first step-father. I don't recall anything bad in my life at the time or any deaths. I have blue eyes, reddish hair, female. A few thoughts I've had at different times: Perhaps the reason for the hat is for us to recognize the entity as appearing to be human. Without the hat, it may just appear to be a shadow and not really have the same definite impression of a tall somewhat imposing male figure. Also, there have been all those sci-fi movies where a hat has played a significant role. That guy in the Ghost Whisperer and those guys in that Matt Damon movie, where the hat was required in order to be able to access the doors, "The Adjustment Bureau." Maybe the hat is some sort of device that allows this entity to manifest. I've often thought that this may be an inter-dimensional being as well. As I said, it didn't seem ghost like, it seemed very solid although it seemed to appear and disappear without sound or movement, at least in my limited experience.

Well that's all for now. Back to more reading on this thread when I have time.

If you researched the hat man, did you read topics on how it is linked to sleep paralysis and the power of suggestion?

Edited by Brian Topp, 24 January 2014 - 03:25 AM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#1300    Murlin54

Murlin54

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 24 January 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

If you researched the hat man, did you read topics on how it is linked to sleep paralysis and the power of suggestion?

Hi Brian,
Yes, I've read about sleep paralysis and I don't deny that could be related but not sure about the power of suggestion. I had never heard of the hat man before and although I was not afraid of cowboys due to watching westerns with my bro, I don't think I could ever have thought up a cowboy in my room. I certainly at that young age knew nothing about the hat man and actually only learned this was a worldwide phenomena a few years ago. It is now about 50 years after the event. I still remember it very clearly though and hence my amazement to find out I was not alone in having experienced this. If it is somehow related to sleep paralysis then I suggest we may have an image already in our brains/dna map that makes us see this apparition. I seriously have read accounts that are almost exactly the same as what I experienced including the sense of not fearing or feeling threatened. How could sleep paralysis cause so many people to see the exact same apparition unless that apparition were pre-programmed somehow into our psyche? Very fascinating. Then there is the "why me" question. Why do some children experience this? What is the common denominator. If the apparition is real in some way and not a figment of the paralyzed imagination, perhaps this entity visits all children and only some of us awaken at the moment when we are able to capture it's presence.  Just throwing some stuff out there. I have no idea, although I have been studying and reading books on consciousness studies for the last few years. I believe it is possible that the mind can create the reality but as a child, I wouldn't have a reality regarding the "hat man".
Then again perhaps Rupert Sheldrake's "morphic resonance" could explain it or evolutionary convergence. Pretty weird stuff no matter how you look at it.

#1301    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostEuryleia, on 16 December 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

I wasn't saying that sleep paralysis is mainly caused by this Hatman in general but what I've said if (since I wasn't clear enough) is that the presence of the Hatman could explain why certain people have nightmares during  sleep paralysis (physical/psychological symptom) and that this Demonic presence puts the human being in a paralyzed state during sleep. That is, if the Hatman does actually exist.
But those things (nightmares, muscle atonia during sleep (paralysis) are known to happen in the absence of any sort of malevolent entity, so why propose a malevolent paranormal entity to explain that which already has an explanation?

And no, the Hatman is not an 'online fad'. This creature being talked about in places where people have no access to the internet, not did they in the past.
You have a citation for this?  Keep in mind that in the case of Slenderman, people have invented a history for him, making up plausible sounding stories about medieval legends about him and going so far as to Photoshop old paintings, woodcuts, etc. to make it look like some sort of genuine ancient myth, when it is obviously a recent invention, but people believe the fake history and post it on websites as evidence for the reality of Slenderman.

What is your source for Hatman not being a recent invention but some sort of old myth?

Edited by JesseCuster, 24 January 2014 - 06:48 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#1302    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostCurious_one, on 21 December 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

I don't know too much about robed shadows or other shadows but I know that the man in the Fadora hat with a trench coat can be one of two things. A "strongman" or "slenderman". Their both dangerous I think...however one saved my life when I was lost in the woods for a night he scared me in another direction and pretty much guided me home. Slenderman is for sure bad though. Related to missing children. I would see him a lot as a child. I seem his face right up close too and it was congruent to a picture a concerned friend showed me which was painted of slenderman in Europe in the 1800s. Both strongmen and slender man date back in history and are seen by many.
Every single old "painting" I've seen of Slenderman has been a proven fake where someone has Photoshopped a genuine piece of art.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#1303    Murlin54

Murlin54

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 16 December 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

There is no strong documentation of this PRIOR to the internet going live, It's Just like slenderman.

Posted Image

I am reading backward through the thread as I only got up to page 13 and the last page yesterday before feeling compelled to add my 2 cents worth. Now I see the post above and I have to weigh in. First, perhaps there is no strong documentation prior to the internet going live (although I doubt it), BUT that does not change the fact that I am 59 years old and this happened to me long before the internet was ever invented. I was just a kid and had never heard any kind of stories about the hat man or even ghosts as I can recall. My family didn't get into anything like that. Ghost hunting and ghost shows were not a thing back then. It was Lawrence Welk and Ed Sullivan. So what can you make of my experience. Do you doubt my honesty? Do you think I made it up just to be part of the hat man circle? I admit I get a little skeptical when I read others posting about the hat man and his red eyes and the immense fear and evil he exuded. That is because it is not what I experienced and so one can't help but have difficulty relating to something that does not match their experience. However I think it is wrong to assume that people are just following the bandwagon and the hat man is just based on sleep paralysis or suggestion. We don't know that. It is a bit frustrating to me when I read all the materialist reductionist science folk criticizing ideas of great thinkers like Rupert Sheldrake and calling it pseudo science, when the morphic resonance theory makes more sense than most of what is proposed by those brilliant men of science that don't even understand what gravity is and have to keep making up new concepts to fit what does not fit their previous "theories" (not facts). eg String theory, dark matter, etc., etc. There are many things in this world that are not explained by conventional scientific or medical wisdom no matter how they slice and dice it. That's a fact Jack. (I mean Brian, lol)

Edited by Murlin54, 24 January 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#1304    Murlin54

Murlin54

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 24 January 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

But those things (nightmares, muscle atonia during sleep (paralysis) are known to happen in the absence of any sort of malevolent entity, so why propose a malevolent paranormal entity to explain that which already has an explanation?

You have a citation for this?  Keep in mind that in the case of Slenderman, people have invented a history for him, making up plausible sounding stories about medieval legends about him and going so far as to Photoshop old paintings, woodcuts, etc. to make it look like some sort of genuine ancient myth, when it is obviously a recent invention, but people believe the fake history and post it on websites as evidence for the reality of Slenderman.

What is your source for Hatman not being a recent invention but some sort of old myth?

I am your source. Read my posts just prior to this then believe I am lying OR NOT. I know I am not, so I know for a fact the "hat man" is not a recent invention. It may be a figment of our imaginations but it is by no means a recent invention. I'm almost old as dirt. haha I was actually on a similar site a few years ago about ghosts and hauntings, just because I find it intriguing, when I came across someone describing exactly what had occurred to me in my childhood. I hadn't been telling the story around. In fact, I don't even recall taking about it with my immediate family, probably because I chalked it up to being a non-event, like I must have imagined it. It couldn't be real, or could it. Did I psychically share my experience in the universal consciousness and people morphed onto it? What psychic? Universal consciousness? Am I just talking woo here?  Did you ever think you invented something, a saying or an idea, or even an experience, and then you suddenly see it being used by someone else? I can think of another example in my case (not remotely paranormal) where that happened. QUIT STEALING MY PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE PEOPLE!  lol  Or would a "cross my heart and hope to die," I'm not making this up help?

#1305    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

I'm not talking about seeing shadow figures being a recent invention.  When I was younger I believed that I had been visited by a malevolent shadowy figure on several occasions until I was able to do some research and find out that my experiences were entirely known and had a natural explanation.  I know what it's like to see weird **** and believe you've had a paranormal experience.   I've been there.  I believe you've had some sort of genuine experience even though I don't buy into paranormal explanations for it.  

I am talking about the specific character of "Hatman" with a fedora, red eyes, and all the other associated fantastic things that surround him.  That is what Brian and I are referring to as a fictional character.  Just like "Slenderman" or "The Rake" or the other creepypasta that does the rounds.

Where's the evidence that he is a known figure of myth and legend going back far in human history?  Is there actual documented evidence of this or is it like the Slenderman, a bunch of fake nonsense doing the rounds?

Again, I'm not interested in stories about people seeing shadowy figures or being visited in the night by old hags and succubi, etc.  I'm interested in the idea that the Hatman specifically is a real documented historical phenomenon.

ps: Calm down.  No-one is stealing anything from you and I'm not accusing you of being a liar.

Edited by JesseCuster, 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users